Warning about Crucial Ballistix ram with Framwork

We added some notes around compatibility here: What memory (DRAM) parts are compatible with the Framework Laptop?

1 Like

I am running a Crucial Ballistix LT Sport kit I temporarily pulled from a older laptop till I can purchase a specific kit for this laptop exclusively.

I have not noticed any issues on my end, and as far as I can tell its not running at any unsupported speeds or voltages.

Link to the kit I am currently temporarily running.

Your memory is running at 2400 MT/s, which is 3/4 of the rated 3200 MT/s of this system.

Any regular 3200 MT/s ram would result in a significant performance increase if that is important to you.

You’ll need to find RAM that runs at 3200 MHz without XMP. It can be difficult to find if you don’t know what to look for.

Typically it’ll specify 3200 MHz at 1.2 V with CL 22 (JEDEC standard).
For example, here’s a G.SKILL kit with 3200 MHz JEDEC: Are you a human?
Here’s the same kit, but with timings of 18-18-18-43 (CL 18): Are you a human?
Notice the second kit has “Intel XMP 2.0 Support” - you won’t know if it even supports 3200 MHz CL 22.

Here’s a picture of a Crucial Ballistix kit’s timings:

Most laptops don’t support XMP, so this’ll have to run at 2666 MHz (with worse timings than 3200 MHz!).

1 Like

Apologies if this belongs in another thread, but the Kingston Fury (previously HyperX) SODIMMS look like they might work.

Here’s the spec sheet:

The default (presumably non-XMP) profile is listed as:

Default (Plug N Play): DDR4-3200 CL20-22-22 @1.2V

I have ordered this kit and will update this post when I can actually test it out.

Those are the only non CL22 sticks I have seen that should work. Good luck and tell us how it goes.

I received my Kingston Fury kit earlier today.

I can confirm that the firmware says it is running at full speed:

I don’t see anywhere in the UEFI that displays CAS latency, and (as I understand it) finding CL in Linux is pretty fiddly…

2 Likes

Nice. I tried to get these from my local but they were out of stock. I ended up just getting standard crucial/micron as it was on special on Amazon. Thanks for the update.

What sticks of ram are shipped with the laptop when choosing 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200mhz? Are they compatible with running at 3200mhz without XMP?

All of the options we directly provide (either pre-installed in pre-built or configurable on DIY Edition) are natively 3200MHz without XMP. The brand will vary on pre-built, while on DIY Edition we currently use Crucial (though this is subject to change based on availability).

1 Like

I was able to find the gskill in my area (Canada Computers) G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 260-Pin DDR4 SO-DIMM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Laptop Memory Model F4-3200C22D-64GRS - Newegg.com
Should work as @taeyeon said above. My laptop is slated for delivery tomorrow so I will update after I test it out.

1 Like

@Davy_Bell Based on See questions and answers here I think that version of the G.SKILL requires XMP.

From the Q/A
Question:
Does this require xmp to achieve the 3200mhz?

Answer:
I run at 2933mhz, so probably.

@Reese_Borel And here I thought I did enough research to get one without down-clock issues!! :frowning:

Welp, Ill still update tomorrow once its in

So what else should people be looking for specs wise (I thought it was the below)

I’m sorry… I think it’s the XMP that’s the issue. I hope I’m wrong in your case…

I’m personally looking at:
Amazon Link
It specifically says “This is true 3200mhz ram! No XMP profile needed”

@Reese_Borel should have searched the forum lol
Memory Support specs? - #30 by AlexS seems the cas 20 kit works!

Good luck with your pick!

@Davy_Bell I had seen that but also saw the writeup on Amazon from a user that mentioned without XMP he was getting 2933mhz. I hope it works, It’s less expensive than what I’m looking at.

Agree. Good luck with your pick.

That doesn’t mean anything. Comet Lake only supports up to DDR4-2933, but Ice Lake supports DDR4-3200.

From first hand experience the F4-3200C22D-64GRS kit definitely works at DDR-3200 on the Framework laptop. That Amazon question+answer is almost certainly a red herring on account of the responder most likely using a laptop not capable of supporting DDR-3200 JEDEC, perhaps Comet Lake based as taeyeon suggests.

2 Likes

Thanks guys I’m glad to hear it. The cost is better.

No, the memory controller tops out at 3200