Was considering purchasing until I saw your Bitcoin statement

It’s all fun and games until you have a random flash crash like we had yesterday. Yeah, it recovered fairly quickly but holy crap that must have been scary if you have a significant position in crypto.

Yeah, I’d hate to be in that position. The key with all of this that shouldn’t be forgotten by anyone invested in crypto is that just like any investment, you have to diversify. I don’t mean spread it in various cryptocurrencies, I mean spread it between crypto, stocks, bonds, money market, whatever you need to do to limit risk.

4 Likes

Yeah, that was kind of my point with FW before. It’d be a huge gamble for them to accept it outright. I think there are other services where you can use it indirectly, like I put crypto on this card and while i’m paying with crypto, FW is just getting USD instead.

It’s always a gamble and sadly it feels like crypto is more of a pseudo stock than an actual currency at this current moment in time

1 Like

At the risk of fanning flames, I’m so tired of this type of post. There’s always a reason not to buy a Framework:

• Keyboard
  • Intel CPU
  • Screen size / aspect ratio
  • Thunderbolt certification

and now we need to add: butthurt about Bitcoin policies / Not metal enough for your identity politics.

I’d just enjoy it if people who don’t want to buy a Framework just… I dunno… didn’t buy one, and y’know, that’s it.

I guess some people have an inflated sense of ego or believe themselves to be influential in ways that can’t be backed up. Sorry you don’t like the policies, but, I don’t really give two cents (or, Bitcoin) about your opinion.

23 Likes

Actually wait, is there a laptop that you can buy from any OEM directly that accepts bitcoin as payment?

I wonder if FW will ever sell through retail vendors eventually. Interesting thought.

Also I want AMD, but that’s like, a realistic change that might come with a later mobo/revision lmao. I’m not asking to pay with bottlecaps

3 Likes

A better middle ground might be: Slap down some cash, and say “this is yours if you make X”. One offs won’t make it, especially with something that takes lots of engineering effort such as having a decent AMD option (which I personally would love), but if there are enough like minded people that would give builders such as Framework an incentive. Not quite like kickstarter but close. This is a builder community, after all!

1 Like

@Zax & @M_Murphy: Yeah, to be clearer, when I said “this type of post” I wasn’t referring to legitimate, constructive feedback, but the whining ultimata of the entitled.

12 Likes

While I agree with the general sentiment that these posts are unhelpful, I would describe it in a slightly different way. In my view there’s a clear line between requesting a feature (e.g. "Please add AMD processors! Please add a trackpoint keyboard!) and being judgy about an ultimately unimportant thing. Nobody, by using Intel processors, is committing hate crimes. I haven’t heard of anyone being led to a gulag because their keyboard didn’t have a little trackpoint nipple to browse the web with. These types of features lend themselves to civil discussion very well. For me the issue arises when we forget context.

People need to stop defining themselves and other people by stupid tiny details. There’s for some reason now a social drive to enforce unimportant opinions on everyone else, and pretend they hold the same gravitas as the real issues that genuinely hurt and impact lives. By elevating the meaningless, we are diluting the meaningful. Rage fueled opinions flying as private investigators discover the use of dangerous undisclosed radioactive materials in “health” products: perfectly sensible. Murder metaphors because someone got disillusioned with BTC: unhinged/unproductive.

13 Likes

I agree with NRP. I see so much of the endless new coins nowadays as a consensual ponzi scheme.

Honestly I have bigger disagreements between my best friends than you do with the owner of a laptop company, if you’re waiting for a laptop company that endorses/agrees with all of your philosophical/economic/political views before you make a purchase you will probably be using an abacus for a really long time. I think it is pretty shitty to dangle this like a carrot as if you would’ve bought one if he hadn’t given his opinion on cryptocurrency. Most laptop manufacturers do not have CEOs you can speak with in forums publicly, and likely hold many political, philosophical, and economic worldviews that would run counter to your own.

40 Likes

…and then there’s the humorous way to approach these types of posts.
(Well If It Aint GIF - Well If It Aint Invisible Cunt - Discover & Share GIFs)

6 Likes

Proof-of-work based cryptocurrencies are a pointless drain on society. Investing in them just perpetuates the massive amounts of energy wasted to process transactions. We should work to eliminate Bitcoin and other PoW coins.

7 Likes

To be fair we could push to end these energy wasting transactions, or we could push for a more renewable energy solution. There are multiple solutions to the bitcoin problem, but there some are definitely easier than others.

1 Like

I mean…

why not both?

8 Likes

A little more perspective:

13 Likes

Then don’t buy it. People respect Framework for their commitment to cutting waste and providing a machine that the consumer invariably owns. You don’t share that sentiment, so don’t buy it.

Perhaps don’t also frame your complaint as a discussion topic. You clearly have an opinion about bitcoin, but your method of delivering it here and claiming that the Framework laptop is a “Mac clone” helps nobody, not least yourself.

7 Likes

If bitcoin is the future of currency, then prove it by exchanging it for money and use that to buy your laptop. Otherwise, don’t. Nobody is obligated to accept Ponzi currency because you feel obligated to support speculation (which, in turn, depends on demand and utilization).

5 Likes

There are PoW mechanisms like RandomX which don’t give all the power of the “decentralized” network to a small groups of miners with specialized hardware.

There’s no free lunch in crypto, but there is something called INCREASING THE DAMN BLOCKSIZE (Bitcoin scalability problem - Wikipedia), which bitcoiners like you should become familiar with, seeing as you will have to deal with consequences of your inaction for eternity. I mean, with transaction fees like these, why bother exchanging bitcoin? just HODL right?

Except, when sticking to the rules, each key pair is used exactly once. Before you sign a transaction, the only thing known about your public key is its hash value, which is considered to be relatively secure against attack by quantum computers.
(And yes, this is automatically enforced by hardware wallets.)

I believe you’re referring to the public keys being used once and discarded per the transaction. That’s entirely different from having a compromised private key, which is what those public keys are generated from. Once a private key is known the bad actor is now a co-owner of the account. There is no cryptographic way to differentiate between the original copy of the private key (the original owner) and the copied/reconstructed version. To a computer, It would be the equivalent of you showing up to a bank and having someone there with your face, ID, biometrics, and expecting the bank to tell you apart.

I fail to see how quantum computers can compromise a private key, given the hash of its public key. Can you elaborate?