Welcome! Please introduce yourself - 2nd edition

Hi. I am Bill. I am a Decision Professional (I travel the world helping individuals, teams, companies and countries make decisions and create/implement strategy). Most of the high system demand I do is enterprise or mega-project modelling. I’ve been piecing together my own desktops since about 2000. I live in Canada but have companies in the US and Canada.
I learned about Framework from Linus and am eagerly awaiting news on the 16, but have a failsafe order for a 13 just in case.

Sounds like a job I would never want, but welcome to the forum :rofl:

Yeah, but other people do most of the work and I just coach & give opinions while seeing the world, so it is pretty low stress and I get to spend billions

2 Likes

Sounds awful you can keep that job :rofl:

Hi.
I’m soon to be computer science student from Finland. 111 days of army left :saluting_face:. I have dyslexia so please excuse any typos I make. I came across FW from LTT.
My current laptop is a low spec dell latitude 3300 (i3-7020U RAM 8 GB 236GB) with a couple of problems: cracked bezel, another crack next to the touch pad, charging cable is starting to break, touch pad buttons not working and it almost died two weeks ago.
I’m planning on getting the FW 16" when 1: the FW 16" can be pre-ordered 2: FW can be ordered to Finland 3: Finnish(/Swedish) keyboard launches. my budget is at least 2k€ so I think I’ll be able to get a pretty good upgrade even if I have to skimp out on the GPU or not get one at the beginning.

3 Likes

Hey there, everyone!

I’m Fuchsmode, otherwise known as Fuxxy - or simply Christian - and I can’t wait to dive into Framework with the upcoming 16" laptop.
I’m a mechanical engineer (kind of, depends on how you wanna look at things :sweat_smile:) from Austria, and for my day job I repair machine tools and design special engineering solutions. Machinery isn’t just my job, but my passion as well, so I have a nicely equipped hobbyist machine shop complete with a Deckel FP2, Harrison 280 Trainer Manual/CNC, and a homebuilt CNC mill.

I’m buying the Framework since I’ve got a laptop, which is nice to take down to the shop and look at CAD/drawings etc. but does not have the power to handle bigger CAD assemblies and a desktop pc, which is good for CAD, but unfortunately not in my workshop. :smile:

I’m also super excited about the expansion cards, both in the sense of using them and also making some. I may not be the best at electrical engineering but I’m sure I can make some nice housings with my metal machining capabilities.

That all beings said, I’m looking forward to joining the framework users and to see what inventive creations all of you come up with.

3 Likes

Hello,
My name is Colin. I am an international student in China and just graduated from high school. I am going to learn computer engineering in the University of Miami several monthes later.
The first day I knew framework in Linus’s vedio, I believe this is going to be a great idea and it will change the industry. I used to interested in DIY PCs, but since I was still a student with limited budget, I bought a laptop so that I can carry around.
I am now using zenbook 14. Recently, I hope to find a solution to upgrade my zenbook by adding a GPU. Some solutions use thunderbold 3, but it will waste at least 10% of performence and the cost is pretty high, obviously it is not a good deal. Some solutions use oculink, but I have to break my zenbook to achieve that, that will be ugly. As a result, I suddenly remember framework. Just take the battery off and plug the GPU in? That is so cool! And, instead of buying a new laptop to upgrade, changing only parts of the laptop can save big money!
Hope I can learn more about the framework in this community!

2 Likes

Hey all,

I am Mike and am very glad to join this community. I learned about Framework from Linus and wanted to extend my support by purchasing a 13th gen laptop that just arrived today. I have been building computers since the early 90’s as a kid and work prefssionally as a cloud architect. Using a Framework laptop is more of an interest for me, but it does solve a painpoint of finding a 13" laptop with USB-C power delivery on both sides as I move around my house a lot.

3 Likes

Hi,

Purchased my 13th gen Intel Framework today. Excited for it to arrive in July!

2 Likes

I am over 65 and a retired Engineer. I spent most of my working life supporting operating systems on mainframe computers. My first personal computer was an Apple ][ plus. Most of the desktop computers I have had since then I built from components so I was excited to see a buildable laptop. I also play with a Raspberry Pi and smart watches starting with the Pebble.

3 Likes

Hi all,
I am a small business owner from The Netherlands. I think I initially came across FW through a Dutch tech news site, when the first iteration of the laptop was on the horizon, but not yet shipped. I’ve been following them ever since. With the matte screen becoming available and me needing a new laptop, it was finally time to order one a few weeks ago.

For me this is the first time in years that I’m actually stoked to get a new laptop. Not necessarily for the tech - I mean, it’s “just” a laptop - but for the grassroots revolution this little company and their laptops are starting.

On top of that, I love tinkering. It may seem strange, but DIY-building and later on DIY-upgrading my laptop seems like a really fun thing to do.

3 Likes

What’s up all? Firearms and tech enthusiast here (what a combo, eh?) I’ve done this once before. I think it was on this forum but I forget. I had a reserve for a FW13 11th gen when those were current. Cancelled it because I REALLY wanted an AMD system, so the AMD announcement was a Godsend. Hopefully batch 2 is shipping soon; I can’t wait.

1 Like

How’s it going yall? Im a IT Enterprise Architect with a background in Systems Engineering & Cybersecurity for the last 18 years. Love what FW is doing & have been holding out for the FW16.

2 Likes

hey! i’m a computer engineering student who’s had their eye on the Framework 13 for quite some time. looking forward to preordering the 16 and joining the club!

3 Likes

Hi, I’m an elevator technician learning about electrical engineering. Just pre ordered an AMD 13” but the 16” looks enticing. I’m waiting to see if I should cancel the 13” pre order for the 16”. Having an extra battery in the expansion module would be awesome!

1 Like

Hi, I am interested in Laptops and Linux. After I spent years with weak but hot running Intel dual core processors I got a Ryzen 5800u Laptop built by Lenovo two years ago. Stunning computing power and energy savings! I read about framework laptops every now and then. Lately I was doing research about which manufacturers will build Ryzen 7040 laptops and Framework popped up again. I was pleased to see that Framework did support Linux, especially with fingerprint sensor support. Since then I am thinking about ordering a Framework 13 AMD barebone and add my own SSD and RAM, because memory prices are going south now. Joined this community to do more research before pulling the trigger. I already learned a lot by reading certain threads here. Great community!

2 Likes

Hi all

Persuaded my employer to give Framework laptops a try on our move away from Apple in development, and now have the first one to get set up and working to prove it before we get more!

6 Likes

Hey all, I remember reading about this company some years back before the first generation Framework laptop came out and thinking it was a great idea. Now I’m in need of a personal laptop replacement and the new Framework 13 Ryzen came up. Just ordered one for batch 4, and I haven’t been this excited for a new computer in years! Can’t wait for Q4!

4 Likes

Hello. I am a hobbyist software developer, a member of my schools robotics team (arsrobotics.org, software and web development), and role-playing sysadmin. I first discovered framework through a post in the ReactOS community chat, but renewed my interest when I saw a video about it on (LTT).

I don’t have any particular goals for the Forum, but I have seen a few interesting threads that I hope to contribute to. I hope to find some interesting projects, and to share any that I might come up with.

4 Likes

A high school student preparing for a big exam to go to university. The last laptop was so affected by the explosion of the mobile power supply that it was almost scrapped, and the motherboard that survived for more than half a year was finally completely broken. Looking for the next ideal computer, paying close attention to the product lines of traditional laptop manufacturers and some mobile products for special people, I have begun to have a great interest in Framework Laptop 16 a few days ago, so I joined the community to learn more about it.

3 Likes