Welcome! Please introduce yourself - 2nd edition

welcome to the community!!

1 Like

Yes this is about as close as is available currently.

Imagine the decision

Fairtrade and not modular
Modular and not Fairtrade

I donā€™t trust Fairtrade as much as modular as modular you can see and touch, Fairtrade is totally reliant on another personā€™s word and a business at that.

Speak elsewhere so as not to go off topic too much

and welcome to the forum and great to know there is another Fairphoner here.

:sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

Hi everyoneā€“
After a quarter of a century owning laptops and 17 years in Appleā€™s walled garden, I have finally decided to make the jump to Linux, and Framework seemed the obvious choice to do so.
Iā€™ve been eyeing the space for a quite while, but was nervous about taking the plunge. As an academic studying privacy/surveillance/disinformation, I felt like I needed to put my money where my mouth was, but I was also concerned about breaking a lot of my customary and ingrained workflows.
It started with phones, actually. In '19 I preordered a Librem5 from Purism; then in '21 (I was still waiting on the Librem5!) my old (2012!) iPhone broke, so I got a FairPhone3 as an interim replacement. Last year, the Purism phone actually arrived, and I tried to use it briefly as a laptop replacement, hooking it up to peripherals with a hub, etc. That didnā€™t really work, what with overheating and finickety wake-up from suspend (among other things), so with my old (also 2012!) MacBook Air literally on its last legs, I decided to pull the trigger on an actual Linux laptop. I had heard good things about Framework from various sources, and esp. on Cory Doctorowā€™s podcast, and liked how its design philosophy was similar to the FairPhoneā€™s.
So, long story short, I just received a DIY AMD FW13 running Ubuntu 24.04. Minor panic in the setup with a recalcitrant bezel getting stuck and almost snapping, but got it straightened out in the end.
So far, loving the look and feel of the laptop, weight, battery life, and the freedom of modular expansion cards. Steep learning curve in teaching my fingers new keyboard shortcuts. And totally in love with the idea of replacing parts as they break or become obsolete, as opposed to buying a whole new machine.
Anyway, very much at the beginning of this journey, and really excited about what lies ahead. Expect several posts with annoying newbie questions in the near future! :-/

7 Likes

welcome to the community! we love answering newbie questions and wonā€™t be annoyed by them, that being said, you will most likely find your answers using the search function!

1 Like

Hi everyone:)
Iā€™m Natan, backend dev, Brazilian living in the Netherlands, 33 YO :smiley:
Iā€™m a Mac user since 2010 but I was getting tired, now Iā€™m fully on FW 13 AMD/Fedora :slight_smile:
I like photography, messing with Linux and old unreliable cars.
Happy to see that FW has a vibrant community of VERY DIVERSE people, thatā€™s very surprising and exciting to see.
Iā€™m also very happy and excited to finally fully switch my main OS from Mac to Linux while keeping good hardware, thinking about contributing to some FOSS project in the near future as well:D
I graduated in CompEngineering many years ago, I was enjoying MacOS very much until Apple went full bezerk with soldered SSDs, pushing ppl to iCloud and verifying Apps online with gatekeeper.
Finally decided that I was tired and made the switch. Small quirks aside, itā€™s been a very exciting journey so far.
I wish you all the best:D

6 Likes

Welcome to the community Natan, great to have you here!!

Hello Everyone! My name is Mike.

I just ordered my Framework Laptop this week (Laptop 13 AMD DIY) with the new screen and webcam. Iā€™ve been batting the idea back and forth for a while, and having seen the new updates for the screen and webcam, and having a bad experience with a current laptop, decided that generating e-waste every time a component dies that canā€™t be easily replaced was not the way I wanted to move forward. Iā€™m not a skilled laptop tech, but Iā€™ve swapped my fair share of RAM modules and hard drives in laptops in my day, and watching the videos on the repairability of the Framework laptops and seeing the progress of the company into updated components gave me the confidence I needed to buy in.

Iā€™m in Batch 3 for the DIY laptops with the new screen and webcam, so my laptop will ship next month. Iā€™m very much looking forward to officially being part of the Framework community!

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum and your only home ~ planet Earth :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome to the community Mike!

1 Like

Hey there!

Iā€™m an IT Systems Architect Intern for a local small business. Iā€™m a recent purchaser of the Framework Laptop 13 AMD (performance) model. Just curious to see what the community is about!

2 Likes

hey! iā€™ve been lurking here for some time admiring what folks here have done. i make music, code, and other stuff. love my 16. i have only just scratched the surface of what it can do and iā€™ve got it dual booting, led matrixing, and keyboard uhā€¦ firmwareā€¦ing?

7 Likes

Hi everyone!

Iā€™m Connor, a highschool senior from northeast US with wayyy too much time. I recently sprung for the Framework 16 (DIY, Ryzen 7, no dGPU) after saving for 2ish years. (Been saving since before FW 16 was announced)

Hobbies of mine include computer networking and cybersecurity, as well as hiking/volunteer work in my community. I used my new laptop as an opportunity to ditch Windows in favor of Linux. If Iā€™m gonna support free/open source choice I may as well go all in.

See yā€™all around!

4 Likes

Hey!

Iā€™m a software engineer, in Chicago.

Been following Framework for a while, and decided it was now a good time to take the plunge.

Will also be my first Linux laptop (was Windows since forever, and switched to a MacBook Pro around 2021). Going with Fedora for now, but itā€™s nice to have options.

Put my order in yesterday, but given the long weekend etc., donā€™t expect it to ship until the week of Sept. 9th.

Saved around $280 by buying the SSD & RAM from Amazon, so hoping I wonā€™t regret that :slight_smile:

Love the repair/upgradabilityā€¦

-Chris

2 Likes

Iā€™m fortunate enough to live close to a Micro Centerā€¦ :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hello Framework community !

Hereā€™s Maxime Hackermann, teaching assistant and computer guy from erg art school (Brussels, Belgium), testing the Framework (DIY) 13 since last year !

(itā€™s a great product, we are now considering Framework when weā€™ll upgrade / replace our computer fleet =)

5 Likes

Welcome to the community!!

2 Likes

Love those LED matrices!! Welcome to the community!

2 Likes

Hi Connor, welcome to the community!

1 Like

Thatā€™s awesome Chris, you should receive it soon, welcome to the community!!

1 Like

Hey Maxime, welcome to the community!!

1 Like