Welcome! Please introduce yourself

Hello, I’m a technician for a certain major retail chain. I’ve always praised and recommended laptop models based on their reparability, both in terms of ease of disassembly, and construction using standard parts available years after purchase. I would love to see this segment grow to include other form factors that are just as modular.
AIOs and Tablet PCs, while some upgradeable, could benefit from designs without copious adhesive, and without the monolithic all soldered on designs.
In such designs, I would hope that they would carry over the module form factor to reduce part Skus.

I mainly have experience with Windows PCs, but have training with a fruit company and have seen their repair programs at work.

2 Likes

How goes it everyone? I am a colorist in film and tv and have been looking for a customizable laptop for a lonnnnnnng time for a small portable system. I like knowing I can upgrade a couple of pieces here and there as needed based on the project I am facing. Found out about Framework from LinusTechTips on YouTube. Really excited about what Framework is doing and looking forward to the future possibilities.

2 Likes

German Webdeveloper for a couple years now that also creates projects in his free time. I want this to compile my various angular projects and browsing, it’s effectively complimentary for my gaming desktop machine.

Discovered framework through you being covered by LinusTechTips and Louis Rossman. What I hope to get out of this community is people to fangirl/fanboy out with around the product and get the most up to date news on when I can finally get my hands on one of these.

I’m interested in the DIY Edition in particular for the same reason I put together my own desktop, to get the experience and be capable of swapping out parts myself in the future.

2 Likes

Retired USAF (28 years), all of it as a medic, half of it on the “Operational Side.” Currently working in IT Service Delivery and Training, previously worked in Research, Development, and Acquisitions. Serious ThinkPad fan/hobbyist- have used, upgraded, repaired, and resold almost 100 ThinkPads in the last 5 years. Definitely into reusing and repairing older hardware to keep it useful, relevant, and out of a landfill. I love the idea of an upgradeable, configurable laptop and hope to see Framework thrive and grow.

5 Likes

Hello! I’m super psyched about my new Framework DIY edition. Just got the drivers installed and looks like everything is working. I’m a longtime software dev with lots of experience in UNIX/Linux as well. I’ve installed Windows for now but will likely move to dual-boot. I’ve been a big iFixit fan and doing self repairs and upgrades of all our computers in the house, most of which we use for about 8-10 years, and then I sell the hardware on eBay. We use both OS X and Windows. I’m also a gamer so I build gaming PCs.

I just wanna say how thrilled I was when I learned about this laptop, and even more thrilled at the unbelievably minimal-plastic packaging!!! All that lovely compostable paper! If you can do it anyone can do it. No more excuses, Apple, Microsoft, Google, HP, Dell, Samsung, Toshiba, looking at you too, Matsushita, Sony, etc etc! I like the expansion card packaging because I’m going to repurpose the little cardboard inserts as assembly bins for tiny screws and parts.

4 Likes

Hello, I am a time travelling sentient box of frogs, electronically communicating across dimensions. Or maybe not. Anyways, I recently bought a slightly used Librem 15 from eBay. With a now broken audio component that I can’t get a spare part to fix. I think this gives me a somewhat different perspective, especially since I was always more interested in it’s security value, not the militant “free software” aspect (PureOS - meh. not terrible). I’ve been a linux user since 1999, and still a big FOSS supporter, so don’t get me wrong. But be profitable and be repairable. Make everything else lower in priority. I’ve lived through too many disappointments, not to be wary.
I think the first priority is “stay in business!” Make a healthy profit, and let things flow from there. There are too many distractions from within and without the community, that will be brought. Be Profitable, Be Repairable and let everything else flow from there!

3 Likes

Hello, all. Software engineer here, longtime apple user, but I’ve been maintaining a linux thinkpad for a while now, and also have a gaming pc, so I’m all over the place in terms of computing devices.

I’m here for a few reasons:

1. Upgradable for future performance, or for issues. Much nicer to piecemeal upgrades than to have to discard mostly-good tech for an entirely new package when all you needed was one particular thing.

2. General community and ethos. Impressed by the conversation going on here, and the community that seems to be forming around the products.

3 Likes

Professional software developer looking for a personal laptop. Going to be replacing my iPad Pro for portable duty, have a desktop for high performance needs.

Joined the forum to try and understand why full sized SD wasn’t included out the gate. Short of a USB port it’s the most important port for me, so I’m currently hesitating whether to get a Framework laptop or another laptop with a SD card port.

Absolutely love the philosophy behind this laptop.

(Of note, I know a full-sized SD card is almost certainly coming. I just don’t know how far away that is.)

2 Likes

Hello,

I was a electrical engineering student, now with a associate degree in Electrical Engineering Technology. I saw this company/laptop from Louis Rossmann. I really like the idea of the “Right to Repair” and I preordered my DIY laptop back in May. From my opinion I am inexperienced in repairing electrical machines and computers, but repairing electronics interest me.

Respectfully,
ChairmanVis

1 Like

Systems Engineer in the US. Not hyped about Win 11, Saw this on LTT and thought it’d go great with the move to some form of Linux.

3 Likes

I’m a software developer and I’m sick of my laptops needing to be replaced because of one component going bad. I love what Framework stands for. I hope it’s the last laptop I’ll ever need to buy, and hereafter all I’ll need are parts. :grinning:

5 Likes

@DAE Windows 10 totally push me to to be a full time Linux guy too, I can totally recommended Linux Mint Cinnamon. If I really must use Windows I use it in a Virtual Machine.

1 Like

Starting University after 5 years out of education. Ambitions to become a vet nurse. Current laptop is out of action due to screen cracked, for the second time. Looking to purchase a new one from Frame.work ! Once available to ship to the United Kingdom. Fingers crossed for AMD to become available . Love the idea of being able to have the freedom to upgrade/repair the laptop so easily.

2 Likes

IT Engineer/ISSE at a contractor for profession and hobbyist of technology (in general). I’ve been using Apple laptops for years and I haven’t been able to find the perfect Windows laptop. Huge fan of the screens (3:2) on Surface products, was waiting for something to come along that was properly priced with expansion options and had a nice 3:2 screen. Once I saw what Framework was doing, I was compelled to pre-order one. I plan to dual boot Windows and Linux. Looking forward to seeing how the community and company progresses!

1 Like

Hi I’m Zax.

I’m a long time computer/technology enthusiast. I’ve been playing with linux on and off for years, building pcs on and off for years, and rooting smartphones for ages. I remember overclocking my Droid Incredible 2 from 1ghz to 1.9ghz because I could. It was dreadfull, but awesome.

I miss the days of removable batteries and easy disassembly, I’ve taken quite a few phones apart and the Note 5 with it’s glue and glass was a nightmare. I’m hoping these guys can really push the industry forward a bit, though I’m waiting on an AMD variant before I pull the trigger. Hopefully AMD can get thunderbolt working with the 6000 series, that’d be awesome

1 Like

IT Security engineer located in BC, Canada. Discovered Framework through LTT video. Love what you guys are doing, so now I am impatiently waiting for my DIY coming in batch 3!

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

I’m a computer geek who tends to ride waves of awesome positions. php dev, unix admin, system op, system admin, systems engineer, cloud engineer, and tech support for server automation software.

I have been a Linux enthusiast since the mid-90s. And just recently started getting into circuit design.

I’m looking for all the great things that framework will allow.

1 Like

I’m a hobbyist in all sorts of computing domains (FOSS,Thinkpads,right-to-repair, programming). Heard of this from a linux podcast I listen to. I think it’ll be hard to peel me away from my thinkpad, but I am excited for a new product that’s built to last and easy to repair.

The bar is fairly high to get me to purchase anything brand new, especially a laptop, but I’ve just ordered one. Really happy you guys went with something that wasn’t 16:9

1 Like

Not to sidetrack, but I understand you very well. However, have you been following WSL by any chance? It really does take the best of both worlds and put them together. You get the hardware support and stability out of the box that Windows enables, but you can run ALL of your Linux software, Linux development, etc. from Windows.

If you lock down Windows using WPD and Tinywall and only allow WSL and the associated Linux processes to access the internet, you have effectively just cut Windows down to being your DE and nothing more. The tradeoff? All your hardware will work. You will get best in class power management and power efficiency (outside of Apple’s propreitary walled garden), but you can run Linux natively. And if you get the 21H2 update with gWSL included, you will have Wayland and X support native with WSL. This includes audio and video functionality.

I have a hard time seeing a better system honestly, and the Framework is PERFECT for it.

And so I don’t completely derail this thread, a little about me:
I’m a software engineer living abroad. I have my framework laptop already and love it. I’m looking at getting another for my wife. I hope to be a life long customer, and am really happy with Framework!

6 Likes

Hi,
I’m french marketer working in Germany.
Just found out about Framework with the laptop guide of LTT. And I love the concept. Has I have built my desktop computer myself I was looking for a product like this for many years. I love so much features of it : 3:2, Modular IO (SD Card reader is a must for me when I travel), repairablility etc. .

I will change my laptop with the DIY version as soon as AZERTY keyboard is available.

I’m so enthousiast about the product that I want to join Framework. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like