Welcome! Please introduce yourself

New to the community? Introduce yourself! Not sure what to say? You can start by sharing what you do, what interests you about Framework, how you discovered Framework, and what you’re hoping to get from the community!

86 Likes

Behavioral Economist in the Bay Area hoping to break free of a decade of being defaulted into the Apple architecture.

Edit: :slight_smile: for the double badge

33 Likes

Hi! I’m a student who doesn’t want to worry about being stuck with a bad laptop choice for college. I found framework from a random new article I happened to come across

33 Likes

Software developer, book author, tech reviewer, tech trainer, EV advocate, sustainability fan, dad.

13 Likes

Engineering student using a 12 years old macbook who’s extremely frustrated by the impossibility of getting a decently built laptop in the current market without spending 2k for features i don’t care about. Found about the project from a Louis Rossman video

19 Likes

:wave: all , business owner, found Framework through Instagram I believe, I second @Francesco_Basile 's frustrations about having to spend so much money on features we don’t really care about. Why does everything have to be thinner! I want to put my dollars towards things that are made to last and be cared for (by regular folk like us!)

17 Likes

Musician/Student entering a Master’s field in need of a good, powerful, repairable machine that I can record music on and edit 1080/60 and 4k/30 (or 60 without effects) performance videos and lessons. This project interests me GREATLY because of it’s modularity and easy repair-ability. The notion that I can fix or easily (I hope cheaply or reasonably…i.e. no apple prices) replace the SSD/RAM/Expansion Cards is a super win/win and the eGPU support with T4 is great as well! I dislike Intel/nVidia but I"ll compromise for this product since the other 90% of it is fan-freaking-tastic. I aim to use either Arch or Debian and W10 in a VM (hopefully with passthrough for the Iris XE) to do all my work with!

10 Likes

Retired/Reformed Corporate Weenie. Now volunteering and working on Climate & Energy Justice Issues. Computer Scientist / Software Developer since 1977. Currently using MacBook Air, but I know the world needs better designed and reusable products and a friend told me about Framework.

12 Likes

Old squid. Follower of the carpenter.
Captitalist, not materialist.
Tired of companies treating users as the product.

20 Likes

Retired software developer. I’m really looking forward to a DIY/reusable/repairable/upgradable laptop, although I would prefer AMD Ryzen processor option.

10 Likes

I’m a computer science student from Australia. Looking forward to the days where a broken/old part in a laptop costs $100 to replace the part rather than $1000 to replace the laptop.
I also don’t like buying new laptops which come with broken drivers or bad quality parts that I have to live with for the next 3 years.

11 Likes

Student and photography hobbyist, will be getting into University for engineering this year! (So looking for a new laptop) Got to know about Framework from a friend. And this thing looks really promising. Currently have plans to do programming, photo & video editing and animation. Want a machine that can handle all my tasks smoothly, which lasts long, and which doesn’t cost me extra money for unnecessary features which I don’t want!

9 Likes

Physics student and software developer from Austria who has been looking into an alternative for bis 8 year old 15inch MacBook. Found out about Framework Over Reddit (I think) and have been telling all my friends about it since then.

8 Likes

Hello everyone! I come from the Fairphone community so as soon I heard of a modular/repeairable/upgradable laptop I had to follow the project :smile:

11 Likes

Hi, i’m a student looking for a good laptop that I won’t have to replace any time soon!

8 Likes

Retired software enginerd A dozen years ago I walked away from 40 years with a large international business machines corporation. The last decade was spent improving web software for accessibility.

But far more pertinent to the Framework products is the time I spent several decades ago in that big corporation. I was fortunate to be part of small team that focused on trying our best to make sure new products were serviceable. We had our own interests at heart in several ways. One was reputation. Another was the actual costs of repairing things, often by our own field engineers. Enabling reparability was the foundation of that work.

Fast forward to today’s world of hermetically sealed computers that are trash when a battery expires in less than 2 years. Bitterness comes from throwing away an otherwise useful $900 computer.

We can hope that your approach to building highly customizable and truly serviceable computers pays off well for all involved.
Nothing but the highest kudos for your approach!

13 Likes

3rd year Electrical Engineering student from Canada.

I first heard about the Framework laptop from Hacker News. Over the years, I have generally preferred to use notebook computers, and have used and tested a large variety of different models before. I would consider myself to be an advanced user, and have high expectations or demands for the performance and design of machines I select for my personal use. One trend I’ve noticed with many OEMs of notebook computers is that

1. The input devices such as the keyboard, trackpad, screen, audio, and camera were disappointing; often computers appear to be designed with many features to attract consumers, but the actual usage experience was evidently not at the top of the list of priorities
  2. The OEM puts limitations on the performance and expandability of the machine, often through firmware locks, as well as by limiting the CPU performance in software to compensate for insufficient power delivery and cooling
  3. Parts are generally unavailable first-party from the manufacturer, so replacements of components like batteries must be sourced from other suppliers, of which the quality is middling.

The Framework laptop tries to address these concerns; the website outlines that the Framework laptop has been designed with special attention to factors like these, and I hope it is successful in launching a product that diverges from the rest in these regards. I appreciate the apparent attention to detail and receptiveness of the team to questions.

I hope that I can learn more about the Framework laptop from the community and to discover more about the latest in innovations in this space.

13 Likes