What bug fixes are people hoping for the next FW16 BIOS update after 3.03

Hi,

I am just curios as to which fixes people would like to see in the next FW16 BIOS update after 3.03 ?

1. I would like to see better debug features for usb-pd problems. I.e. ways to capture CC1/CC2 messages as well as volts/amps/watts in debug messages. The usb-pd chip uses all this information, it would be good to have access to it in the os logs.
  2. Samsung A34 mobile phone keeps disconnecting in slot 2,5 but seems to work fine in slot 1,4
    I think this is a usb power issue, so needs a BIOS fix.
  3. I have an external battery power unit to supply power over usb. It supplies power to my phone, but when plugged into the FW16 (any slot), it provides no power to the laptop.
  4. I have a usb nvme enclosure. This only works reliably in slot 1,4. It keeps disconnecting in slots 2,5.
  5. “sudo lsusb -v” crashes the gensys usb hub, hangs the lsusb command output until a timeout. I think the firmware of the gensys usb hub needs fixing for this.
  6. the FW16 bios seems to be problematic in that it fails to boot when certain pcie devices misbehave. Eg. Wifi BE200.
    The FW16 needs to be able to handle pcie problems more gracefully.
  7. The BIOS POST codes need better documentation. For example, what is 0xE0 ?
  8. using a 100W power supply with a 240W cable seems to result in the FW16 requesting more than 100W. I.e. requesting too much power. E.g. FW16 requests 5A/36V/180W when the psu can only handle 100W. Without (1) above it is difficult to know why this happens. My guess is psu advertises 2A/36V or something like that and the FW16 asks for too much current at 36V.
  9. Find more ways to save power during suspend. E.g. if the user wishes, find a way for the OS to power off the keyboard. If you remove the touchpad it powers off the keyboard, so the power off capability is there, we just need access to it from the OS.
  10. BIOS screen default to external display if present, otherwise use internal eDP display. This also permits grub screens to display on external monitors, and also helps problem diagnosis if the internal display is faulty.

Apart from the above problems, the FW16 is a very nice laptop.
Hopefully the above can be fixed in firmware over time.
Note: I have sent an email to FW support with a link to this thread for their “suggestion” box. So no need for anyone else to mention these items for FW support.

2 Likes

USB was buggy in BIOS 3.03 on my system.
Sometimes devices not recognised, often devices failing to be uninstalled when using OS ‘safely remove’ or ‘eject’ or just physically removed.

Bios 3.04 is the latest. I yet don’t know if this has fixed the USB issues.
Cheers

USB external enclosure disconnection issues resolved.

Querk with audio card not fully initialising correctly such that error beep on command prompt filename completion with tab key does not produce a sound and the Windows API Beep(freq, duration) call does not work.

My keyboard does this thing where I’ll be typing and all of a sudden it will stuck pppppppppppppppppressing down a keyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

It seems to usually happen when I’m done typing, and it’s the last character that get’s stuck on. It’s possible it has something to do with using the power saving tunable on the keyboard.

You can do this, can’t you?

$ <<<disabled sudo tee /sys/bus/usb/devices/…/power/wakeup

(Replace the with the actual bus path of your keyboard module.)

That should work because Linux only keeps USB devices powered up during suspend if they are intended to be usable as wakeup sources. If you tell it that you don’t care to use a device as a wakeup source, then it should power off the device during suspend.

Of course, if you’re using udev, you can write a rule to automatically apply this attribute change:

ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{ID_MODEL}=="Laptop_16_Keyboard_Module*", ATTR{power/wakeup}="disabled"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{ID_MODEL}=="Laptop_16_Numpad_Module*", ATTR{power/wakeup}="disabled"

@whitslack
What you say might be right, but in this particular case the power to the keyboard remains on during sleep whether or not you have it “disabled”.

Stuck keyboard keys is definitely power tuning related. I had similar issues while sorting out my own power tuning. Happened particularly with powertop/TLP. I avoid using powertop for tuning and just use TLP right now as I saw lower power draw with that

I too experienced this and reported it in the 3.04 beta bios thread

2 Likes

Personally I would like to see (not necessarily bug fixes)

1. Better way of troubleshooting or controlling USB C ports. For example, my portable charger always gets charged by the laptop but cant charge it via USB C.

2. Text to speech for the BIOS options. Maybe enabled/disabled bypressing a key

3. Fan curves

4. Ability to disable USB ports when laptop is asleep

5. Ram speed selection, so I can turn down the ram speed for testing for example

6. This is more EC but more information on the embedded controller and better control of things like the side LEDs (ectool complains when trying tk address the left or right LEDs individually)

2 Likes

Have the same problem.

One thing that I’d want (and actually not care if on either side or both of the laptop) would be some indication whether the machine went to sleep properly.
Last Friday I thankfully took it out of my backpack when I got home, and it was really hot because apparently it did not sleep correctly when I packed it in when leaving the office…

This is the second time something like this happened in the 6 weeks I’ve got it…

1 Like

If it’s Windows, then it can just be the fault of Windows “Modern Standby”. With Modern Standby, Windows will start your computer up all on its own. The purpose is supposed to be to preform system updates and apply patches when you aren’t using your computer. But it’s a problem if your laptop is in a bag without airflow for the fans. And worse, it seems like Windows may sometimes fail to shutdown afterwards.

Finding a laptop turned on in your bag or hot from previously turning itself on is a common complaint with Windows “Modern Standby”.

3 Likes

I’m using MX Linux on it.

1 Like

I second that! :slight_smile:

Being able to reboot with a thunderbolt dock connected would be nice.

I’ve never head any problems rebooting. I have one TB3 and one TB4 dock connected at the same time.

some indication whether the machine went to sleep properly

^^ this. I don’t know why outward facing LEDs have been systematically removed from all makes. With hackers and Linux, a few are almost necessary - like even indicating too much hard disk activity, etc.

1 Like

Better driver for the Wi-Fi card.