What is the purpose of the out of stock items in Marketplace?

I’m specifically wondering about the 12th and 11th gen intel Framework 13. When someone leaves an item they are selling as out of stock, it implies they plan on restocking them. Does Framework really plan to restock these units with older generation CPUs?

Probably. Customers with previous gen laptops may need replacement parts. And the price of these older gen motherboards is way less, which may be acceptable to some customers who don’t necessarily need the latest gen.

Just came to correct the comment above, Framework is no longer manufacturing older boards, and iirc don’t intend to do so (as it’s not really cheaper for them).
The price became lower because the boards became less valuable with newer generations coming out, and Framework had to sell out the remaining stock.

2 Likes

Why doesn’t Framework remove discontinued products from their Marketplace or at least
mark them discontinued? Otherwise, their Marketplace will become very cluttered.

I believe refurbs of “deprecated” products could still be a thing. Plus support continues back to 11th gen as well, apparently a new BIOS is being prepped for the near future. Then keeping the descriptions and stats open for comparison would have some use.

1 Like

Having the original listings online can be very useful in the future.

Maybe an “archive” category would make sense, to indicate that these products are no longer for sale.

3 Likes

An archive is good. Otherwise, in two are three years we will be searching through discontinued items to find current ones. If by any chance a discontinued item comes back, it can be pulled out of archive.

1 Like

My best guess is to have a resource to check specs of older devices. I agree that it would be nice if they had a different tag than “out of stock” but I also don’t think this is currently Framework’s highest priority.

1 Like

Azure
My best guess is to have a resource to check specs of older devices. I agree that it would be nice if they had a different tag than “out of stock” but I also don’t think this is currently Framework’s highest priority.

Then to prevent a cluttered Marketplace, it is to their advantage for this go on their bucket list for housekeeping on their site.

They are a small team doing a lot of things. And for the most part they are doing it amazingly well. I’ll pass this along to the team though for their SA (situational awareness).

1 Like

Hi everyone,

We’re working on an overhaul to the Out of Stock (OOS) vs Waitlist system as we agree it is confusing, and unfortunately, the logic behind the scenes is complicated. It has both manual and automated components, and is prone to error. As someone mentioned, we do not want to remove legacy items as our ideal-state is that each Marketplace entry is a landing page for products which has sections and links for support, specifications, and other important information. Also, as @2disbetter said, we’re a very small team with competing priorities that are all set to “high”, “highest”, “higherest”, or “OMFG THIS IS IMPORTANT!” We absolutely acknowledge and own that it’s a wonky experience right now and can assure you we have plans for a much better experience.

As far as the question about them coming back in stock, new stock for 11th and 12th Gen is unlikely as production ceased a long time ago. Refurbished stock depends on having enough returns to either refurbish them whole, or frankenstein together harvested components to build a refurbished system. At this time, the incoming flow of returns is very low, so availability is limited. When we do put them up for sale, they are usually sold out within a day or two.

14 Likes