What Linux have you settled with?

Hey guys - got my Frame the other night and its… going. Kubuntu is clunky - the installer hates Frame.work, but I got beyond it by F1ing to the text terminal and getting past the FOREVER “Kubuntu” title. A network.d service was hanging and timing out 9x and… uboot.service was hating the Kubuntu installer.

Then I had to do 5 or so ‘fixes’ - the fingerprint fix, on Ubuntu IMO isn’t yet - yes I got it compiled and… ‘working’ but…

Anyway, I don’t wanna moan about it BUT what Linux are you settling on? I am a tinkerer and I can DO the things - but I’ve been chasing fixes all day. (Can the touchpad EVER just operate like a MacBookPro? No TAPS??? Right click only on the lower 33% of that huge pad??? Yes, I can work around things even in KDE System Settings … but whew.

I know Fedora is trying to ‘like’ Frame a bit better… I really prefer Ubuntu; but at this rate, I might as well just create another Arch from the REAL ground up - its the same amount of tinkering…

So, where did you land; and did you iron things out NICELY? Do you have yer trackpad working WELL? Taps, clicks, right click anywhere and dare I BEG for gestures??? :stuck_out_tongue:
The hardware looks nice - right now my CPU says 2.80GHz in the BIOS; do I need to kick that up a notch???

Thanks follks - wheres yer Linux happy, and have you gotten this thing DIALED the heck in???

3 Likes

I have Arch Linux, Gnome 40, and this awesome extension to get macbook-like gestures (both 3 and 4 finger swipes). Things are very smooth. Happy to help via this forum with any specific problems that might arise if you choose to go this route!

5 Likes

What’s the extension? Is it touche?

1 Like

So in Kubuntu, my favorite - I just know Ubuntu so well inside and out; and KDE I can morph into whatever I want… again, you prolly wouldn’t like that - but not even tap to click will toggle ON. You just can’t select it. Maybe someone has the trick - OR more software on top.

I like the Arch suggestion above, especially if top-layer software brings a good working solution; I used Arch for a couple years and know enough. The AUR is awesome, and so much support - BUT, yer ‘building’ everything your way, again…

I’ve never used Fedora and HEAR that 34 is maybe the ‘best of’ Frame.work right now; but I don’t think its the distros who should be smacking out all the fixes. System76, PopOS!.. Frame.work - you pick it, build the software and heck - I already paid for ONE. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m ready to order more ACCESSORIES and the next gen CPU. -But for Linux, solutions are needed.

Thanks for the input both of you; I’ll think of Arch and am still hunting.

1 Like

DOH i forgot the link lol. It’s Gesture Improvements - GNOME Shell Extensions

I understood. :stuck_out_tongue: I just mean 2 Frame.work engineers $2k a week - $5000 later they could have great solutions for US. I use Linux, give me the right architecture and I can shoehorn it in. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think on Ubuntu I could fake a graphic tablet and get at least tap to click working… I haven’t dug in to learn WHY tap-to-click in the touchpad settings WON’T take. (No clicky allowed.)

$10k at WORST - 6 laptops and they could say they have MBP level Linux hardware. This thing is a badass Audi - but rides like a Volkswagon because of the diesel tuning.

You should see my
/frame.work folder
frame.work.completed [and]
frame.work.todo are coming up on 500K. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, you can get tap-to-click to highlight; its just really… buggy almost. And if the machine goes to that sleep state, the vertical scrolling can toggle off - I’ll recheck any mods I did… make sure my [ ]'s are in the right place [deep] and all the … things.

Maybe stock Ubuntu would be better - with or without KDE on top. Heck, I could use Ubuntu Server and build as lean as possible WITH a GUI layer on top.

Fun fun fun till daddy take the keyboard away. :confused:

pAULIE42o
. . . . . . . . . .

I was going to install Arch, but I went with Manjaro Gnome (minimal installation) because setup was much easier for my use case. Been pretty much seamless so far. Even setting up the finger print reader was super easy due to AUR packages and Gnome libfprint integration. Only real issue has been the PSR stuttering many have also reported, but it’s not a big deal to me. I’m just waiting for a kernel update in the Manjaro mainline.

3 Likes

I also like Manjaro - and I haven’t looked at Gnome since the last two versions, so I bet there might be some great changes there. Ugh.

The [deep] workaround really makes waking up from sleep just - too long. It doesn’t feel like a current flagship device at all. :confused: I hope that in a years time none of this will matter, but still.

I guess I’m gonna give this NVME a workout and try Fedora, Arch and even Pop OS. I think in the Ubuntu install instructions pages they DIDN’T suggest turning off Secure Boot, and I’m gonna start there… what fun. :stuck_out_tongue: Literally.

I’m in RHEL based distro. Right now I’m testing Almalinux. I’m really surprised that with all new devices in Framework. Almalinux worked just fine and with a TB3 docking station. Next I’ll test Rocky then settle in RHEL8.4.

1 Like

I don’t get my Framework until Friday or Monday, but I’m somewhat “settled” on either stock Ubuntu or Budgie (21.04). So basically Ubuntu all around.

I guess it comes down to what you’re accustomed to…I’ve used many, but always end up settling on Ubuntu.

2 Likes

I agree, Chris, that you need to go with what you like - I would suggest to you that you try them all. :stuck_out_tongue: If you got a USB DISK port, you can even install Linux on there for testing - Fedora [rewrite] is really nice and has most features that I spoke of here built it. The how-to is really well written and the info there is much better than the Ubuntu how-to IMO - however… THIS is something that I can directly help with, so… I’m not just complaining. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m sure that things will continue to improve ON Ubuntu, but… I’ve concluded that I’m going to hop around and see for myself; being a brand new and powerful hardware, I’m fairly impressed with Fedora ATM.

Cheers - PS, hope you get your Frame ASAP!!! Never trust FedEx - they lied by 9 days in my case. :stuck_out_tongue:

@Paulie420 Fortunately FedEx is pretty accurate with their timing in my area; our street seems to be popular. :slight_smile:

I’ve actually never(!) tried Fedora, so that was a serious possibility. I’d have to scrounge up another USB key…I’ve already got two of them imaged and ready to go!

@Paulie420 if you haven’t already looked at this thread, its worth a read as well regarding what distros people have gotten working.
https://community.frame.work/t/which-linux-distribution-do-you-want-to-use-on-your-framework-laptop/

I am currently using Slackware-current, and its working pretty well. A few efi settings aside (my fault for getting creative, then being slightly lazy). I have used an older wifi card so i could easily use a kali live USB, and then manually have been setting my screen brightness and gamma (because I need to update a config but haven’t yet.) That’s about the only issues i’ve ran into. I also installed windows10 education and its working quite well using the beta bios x.x.3 and the driver pack, then updated windows10. (I just use two different NVMe’s and swap them out, running linux almost exclusively. The few issues I thought might be a power adapter issue ended up being related to the magnetic sensor for sensing lid closure, so wasn’t a power issue at all. I also found, aside from the wifi card, kali-rolling on a live-usb works pretty well also. (I used an older usb WIFI card before swapping out my internal and that worked well). my 0.02 cents.

1 Like

Great two cents , o_o. Man, whenever they give us a marketplace to you know… buy more Frame.work products and all, you could grab the USB drive and have Kali all nice-like in a user port. :stuck_out_tongue:
Thanks for the info; I am liking Fedora right now; its a pretty nice change from the Ubuntu side of things, and while it may be petty I’ve even got some of my gestures ironed out.

Well on the way to finding out where to land. Cheers.

I thought the same thing with Fedora, but I have to admit that after a while, once you try to set everything up, you just find yourself missing Ubuntu. Ubuntu just makes setting things up super easier. They aren’t elitist about what repos you should be able to access, etc. and it really just helps you to be able to get on with it, and leave the agenda for the other people. With Gnome 40 coming to Ubuntu 21.10 I just decided to stick with Ubuntu.

1 Like

Also https://distrochooser.de/ for finding a distro that suit your needs :eyes:

(neither affiliated nor made by me, but tool was cool and sufficiently provide up with good choices)

3 Likes

Many people like following the unix philosophy including me, for the simplicity :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: Systemd is great for “just works”, but extra stuffs generally complicate simple stuffs in long run, I’ve experienced in last 2 to 3 years.

I use runit, it usually boots in almost two thirds or less time as systemd does :eyes:

Also waiting on Fedora 35, but I’ve installed Windows 11 in the meantime

I use Solus for every single computer that I have (except for my Pinebook since it’s Arm based) and it works flawlessly on the Framework laptop after setting up scaling and tuning TLP.

Got gestures working and I’m playing around with the fingerprint reader trying to get login and sudo access via it.

2 Likes