What Linux have you settled with?

I also like Manjaro - and I haven’t looked at Gnome since the last two versions, so I bet there might be some great changes there. Ugh.

The [deep] workaround really makes waking up from sleep just - too long. It doesn’t feel like a current flagship device at all. :confused: I hope that in a years time none of this will matter, but still.

I guess I’m gonna give this NVME a workout and try Fedora, Arch and even Pop OS. I think in the Ubuntu install instructions pages they DIDN’T suggest turning off Secure Boot, and I’m gonna start there… what fun. :stuck_out_tongue: Literally.

I’m in RHEL based distro. Right now I’m testing Almalinux. I’m really surprised that with all new devices in Framework. Almalinux worked just fine and with a TB3 docking station. Next I’ll test Rocky then settle in RHEL8.4.

1 Like

I don’t get my Framework until Friday or Monday, but I’m somewhat “settled” on either stock Ubuntu or Budgie (21.04). So basically Ubuntu all around.

I guess it comes down to what you’re accustomed to…I’ve used many, but always end up settling on Ubuntu.

2 Likes

I agree, Chris, that you need to go with what you like - I would suggest to you that you try them all. :stuck_out_tongue: If you got a USB DISK port, you can even install Linux on there for testing - Fedora [rewrite] is really nice and has most features that I spoke of here built it. The how-to is really well written and the info there is much better than the Ubuntu how-to IMO - however… THIS is something that I can directly help with, so… I’m not just complaining. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m sure that things will continue to improve ON Ubuntu, but… I’ve concluded that I’m going to hop around and see for myself; being a brand new and powerful hardware, I’m fairly impressed with Fedora ATM.

Cheers - PS, hope you get your Frame ASAP!!! Never trust FedEx - they lied by 9 days in my case. :stuck_out_tongue:

@Paulie420 Fortunately FedEx is pretty accurate with their timing in my area; our street seems to be popular. :slight_smile:

I’ve actually never(!) tried Fedora, so that was a serious possibility. I’d have to scrounge up another USB key…I’ve already got two of them imaged and ready to go!

@Paulie420 if you haven’t already looked at this thread, its worth a read as well regarding what distros people have gotten working.
https://community.frame.work/t/which-linux-distribution-do-you-want-to-use-on-your-framework-laptop/

I am currently using Slackware-current, and its working pretty well. A few efi settings aside (my fault for getting creative, then being slightly lazy). I have used an older wifi card so i could easily use a kali live USB, and then manually have been setting my screen brightness and gamma (because I need to update a config but haven’t yet.) That’s about the only issues i’ve ran into. I also installed windows10 education and its working quite well using the beta bios x.x.3 and the driver pack, then updated windows10. (I just use two different NVMe’s and swap them out, running linux almost exclusively. The few issues I thought might be a power adapter issue ended up being related to the magnetic sensor for sensing lid closure, so wasn’t a power issue at all. I also found, aside from the wifi card, kali-rolling on a live-usb works pretty well also. (I used an older usb WIFI card before swapping out my internal and that worked well). my 0.02 cents.

1 Like

Great two cents , o_o. Man, whenever they give us a marketplace to you know… buy more Frame.work products and all, you could grab the USB drive and have Kali all nice-like in a user port. :stuck_out_tongue:
Thanks for the info; I am liking Fedora right now; its a pretty nice change from the Ubuntu side of things, and while it may be petty I’ve even got some of my gestures ironed out.

Well on the way to finding out where to land. Cheers.

I thought the same thing with Fedora, but I have to admit that after a while, once you try to set everything up, you just find yourself missing Ubuntu. Ubuntu just makes setting things up super easier. They aren’t elitist about what repos you should be able to access, etc. and it really just helps you to be able to get on with it, and leave the agenda for the other people. With Gnome 40 coming to Ubuntu 21.10 I just decided to stick with Ubuntu.

1 Like

Also https://distrochooser.de/ for finding a distro that suit your needs :eyes:

(neither affiliated nor made by me, but tool was cool and sufficiently provide up with good choices)

3 Likes

Many people like following the unix philosophy including me, for the simplicity :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: Systemd is great for “just works”, but extra stuffs generally complicate simple stuffs in long run, I’ve experienced in last 2 to 3 years.

I use runit, it usually boots in almost two thirds or less time as systemd does :eyes:

Also waiting on Fedora 35, but I’ve installed Windows 11 in the meantime

I use Solus for every single computer that I have (except for my Pinebook since it’s Arm based) and it works flawlessly on the Framework laptop after setting up scaling and tuning TLP.

Got gestures working and I’m playing around with the fingerprint reader trying to get login and sudo access via it.

2 Likes

@2disbetter, thanks for the reply. Neat knowing you have a Frame, too - we are on a couple of the same social geek sites…

While I really know Ubuntu deeply, I’m STILL eigging the heck out of Fedora. I dunno, I might be getting sold on it. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve been on super older hardware; think Thinkpad T430s… and Fedora just makes this feel like a MBP. :stuck_out_tongue: Anyway, I’ve been doing some benchmarking and… you’ll have to share any Frame.work awesomeness you come by.

Cheers.

pAULIE42o
. . . . . . . . .

1 Like

I’m using Ubuntu + regolith (a preconfigured i3 for ubuntu with some extras) with kernel 5.12. I’ve just spent a bit of time setting it up so I could be convinced to try something different if there’s a reasonable reason.

I’m using Ubuntu 20.04.3 w/5.11 kernel.

applied the Wifi fix, but other than that, everything just works. I haven’t looked into the fingerprint scanner yet as that’s not really a feature I use.

@RandomUser I don’t think I can coreboot the T430s line - but now that I have the Frame, I do have a few of them - maybe 2 that are good-working that I can play around and make anything out of. Hmmmmm…

The other two folks who have more custom Ubuntu installs - thats cool… I am pleasantly liking the dang Fedora. :stuck_out_tongue: AND, I believe they will be fulling supporting the Frame.work in version 35 - so for me this is a high contender. I might end up living right here. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve started to do some benchmarking and am enjoying the Frame.

pAULIE42o
. . . . . . . . .

I’m running Arch Linux with KDE. I think the 5.14.8 kernel fixed the bluetooth issue on reboot, but I have yet to extensively test that.

EDIT: Nope, still broken after a warm reboot

2 Likes

I started on Mint 16 (Cinnamon) then distro-jumped, using Cinnamon where I could and Gnome where I couldn’t and after Gnome 40 dropped, I decided that the Gnome extension support was now worth the switch since I’d spent too much time working on Cinnamon extensions to get features already native in Gnome. I fell in love with the simplicity of Pacman and YAY on Manjaro, then made my way up the complexity+customization ladder to EndeavorOS, and then last week, finally Arch, where there’s no more “I’ll stay here because X isn’t worth it,” because ‘X’ no longer exists. Speaking of X, running Wayland on modern hardware gives me so much more faith in the future of GNU/Linux, as I have had lots of issues with X, but had only run Wayland on old AMD (bulldozer?) laptop hardware in Manjaro several years ago. Super Happy with Arch running Gnome, especially as MS continues down their path of BS.

I’m running Fedora 34 Cinnamon at the moment. It’s a little outside my comfort zone. I’m usually running Mint Debian Cinnamon edition but I wanted to get my hands dirty with DNF etc… It’s been a bit of a learning curve. I’ve used Fedora before, but now that I’ve got the Framework I’m going to give it a good solid 6 months or so and see if I can stick solely inside the Linux ecosystem. My previous laptops have been old retired systems that couldn’t really do much, so this is my first experience running it on some grade-A hardware. So far I’m pretty impressed with the experience. The battery tends to get drained really fast in F34, but from what I’m reading there are some improvements for that in F35 so I’ll be upgrading once it’s feasible to do so. I may end up switching to GNOME for the desktop though, the lack of integrated fingerprint support in the F34 Cinnamon spin is kind of annoying.

1 Like

I’ll be running Ubuntu 21.10 on my framework, once it ships later this month. I may play around with other distros, but Ubuntu will always be my daily driver.

2 Likes