What new Expansion Card types do you want to see released?

Niche, but a logic analyzer like (or collab with) Saleae Logic, where the analyzer becomes part of the laptop rather than a USB accessory.

Like so many others, form factor is likely a killer.

I would also be content with a USB dongle-like form factor for “double wide” expansion cards in order to increase the available PCB real estate.

3 Likes

Apparently there exists a HDMI+Displayport combo connector.
http://www.rego.com.tw/product_detail.php?prdt_id=76
https://imgur.com/t/hdmi/0MIFd9y

Could this be used to save space? Or would this kind of connector break easily?

11 Likes

What about a recessed type-A suitable for wireless mouses?

5 Likes

Having finally seen the size of the expansion cards, there may not be enough height to allow such a hidden design. It would be nice for the tiny usb-a flash drives as well.

expansion card with a USB-C and a mouse-wheel/scroll-zone, or something so you can browse in bed.

edit: to be clear, the usb-c is just there because hopefully it also fits so that you still have the port. but it doesn’t need to be there.

8 Likes

A side-mounted scroll wheel card is a cool idea, never would have thought of that!

8 Likes

@McEistee For SDR, the Nooelec Nano 3 can be disassembled and fits within the enclosure size limits when the USB A pads are soldered to USB C. May need a small heatsink sticking out of the side or bottom (unless the heat can disperse through the expansion card rails into the laptop frame).

5 Likes

To expand on this, making the wheel programmable (or even two distinct ones on a single card) would be great. I know I would absolutely use a volume wheel too.

2 Likes

That is plain brilliant. Would be awesome if it’s a physical wheel with “clicks” for fine tuning in various apps.

3 Likes

So, tell them anyway. We as a community need to do all we can to promote this product (realistically, of course). Even if people can’t use it today, they will be able to later, if and only iff they are made aware of it. So please, spread the word!

3 Likes

P.S. @nrp Really hope the gig Ethernet (and the marketplace opening) comes along soon after the August shipping mad rush :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Big +1 to the full size SD card reader. I’m hesitating getting the laptop right now, and knowing I could get a full size SD card reader would have sealed the deal. As-is I don’t know how long I could be waiting until the adapter is released. 6 months is no big deal. 3 years is a problem.

Would love to be enlightened as to why micro SD was chosen first. I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen a micro SD card but, as far as I’m aware, full size SD is still the standard in photography (and why I’m wanting it). Are photographers now using micro SD more frequently? Is there some other super common use case for micro SD?

1 Like

@Colin_Williams I’m also excited to see a full sd slot because I think it’s more versatile, but contra your experience I can’t remember the last time I saw a full-sized sd card. Microsd has enough capacity for most use cases (mostly 3d printers in my case), and even most of the photography hobbyists I know put a microsd to full-size adapter in their camera because micro is easier to connect to their laptop.

1 Like

Fair point about using an adapter in the camera. I guess I naturally lean away from that since it’s introducing a possible point of failure. But now that you mention it, the dash cam I recently purchased does take a MicroSD card. Didn’t realize it as it hasn’t been installed yet (waiting on the vehicle it will be installed in to arrive).

For $30 I might just pick up a MicroSD card and adapter for my camera and go ahead with the Framework laptop.

2 Likes

I know the concept of the laptop is to minimize dongles but is something like this really a dongle? It is small and, in my experience, very fast. They also make a version with both USB-C and USB-A. I haven’t even bothered to order a microSD expansion card because I prefer to use this when needed. I suppose someone, like a photographer, might need constant access to a card reader but I think it would be sad if anyone saw its lack as a dealbreaker.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t try to create one but didn’t I see somewhere that Framework said that it cannot be done in the size of a standard expansion card?

1 Like

@njf I would say yes, because how I define dongles is anything that isn’t in the laptop chassis that adds ports of some kind and has to be stored separately. I can’t exactly shove the laptop in a bag with that hanging off the side. I know not everyone agrees with that, but its how I look at it.

I do actually agree with you about SD card readers though. I know full size SD is useful, but a microSD with a full-size adapter is already an option. I would rather the framework team focus on more universally useful things like the ethernet ports and 5g modules.

The one that confuses me the most is the microcontroller option…I know some people work with them a lot, but it seems like such a niche thing to have built into the chassis that such a small percentage of people are actually going to use.

2 Likes

I think there is another issue with a full size SD card expansion card. Even if it is possible, I cannot see how it could be built without the SD card protruding significantly outside the laptop. I used to have one like that. The card stuck out by at least a quarter inch and it could be very serious if the card got knocked in any way while inserted, potentially damaging the laptop circuitry.

I would be interested to know whether the microSD card sticks out at all, although, if it does, I imagine it would be a lot less and unlikely to be prone to be knocked.

It was stated in some prior response that the microsd cards stick out a mm or two.

Having an SD card stick out slightly is a LOT better than a full sized USB stick jutting out there. That’s going to break something if you’re not careful.

For the record, full size SD cards are pretty useful with camera recording. I use an adapter for a micro SD in the ol’ camera, but a full sized card would fit and probably have a higher capacity. I just haven’t needed that yet.

1 Like

Likely a good reason for that. My understanding is that Micro SD cards are exactly as fast as full size SD cards (the only difference is form factor, they are governed by the same standard in every other respect), and both are commonly found at 1TB capacity nowadays. However I struggle to find any SD cards with more than 1TB capacity. There probably isn’t much demand for storage that’s at higher capacity than 1TB in SD cards, because most of the applications that could use it (e.g. 8k video recording) typically also require much faster forms of storage, like true SSDs.