What new Expansion Card types do you want to see released?

Yup, much more simple.

Bumping for an optically isolated USB port. Piece of mind for those fiddling with breadboards, Arduino, and the like. Personally I haven’t fried a machine, but a friend in undergrad managed it. However, this is stupidly niche, but given the DIY aspects of Framework there is probably a fair intersection of those two groups to justify an attempt at it.

4 Likes

I’d love to have opto-isolated USB but the speed of them is around 10MB/s which is way too slow for type c and usb3.0 but about right for 2.0

3 Likes

Yeah, opto-isolated ports would not be used for your extremely intensive data tasks. I was thinking of it as an extra layer of security for prototyping, hooking up to TCs, home built sensors, or what have you, while supporting USB-C PD as a wishlist item so you still have a good charging option

3 Likes

For Safety, I would suggest, TCCP01, TCCP02, TCCP03 from ST micro. They combined both MCU(stm32) + TCCP protection in the same die.

I was actually doodling with this tonight, figuring out if a Seeedstudio XIAO with a USB C M/M adapter would fit inside one of the cases.
I’m thinking that the custom case would stick out about 10mm (due to the USB adapter), and would fit some DuPont breadboard connectors in there for I/O.

UT83_VoXYRaXXcUQpbXV

3 Likes

Yubico partnership for an official YubiKey expansion card (or a container for existing YubiKeys).

10 Likes

I’m thinking a dock with 2 parts that use all 4 ports, increasing the height and increasing the number of expansion ports… Perhaps it can also have a metal frame that bolts on so you can mount the laptop (like the laptops in police cars or on industrial equipment.)

1 Like

Alas, from other posts I’ve seen re: people wanting HDMI in, I’m almost certain this is electrically impossible, or at least wildly infeasible. You’d basically need custom software running on the laptops and the connector would have to contain one or more video capture devices. At the very least, it’s not going to fit in something the size of 1-2 expansion cards, nor will it be particularly easy to use.

@iFreilicht had a pretty thorough response for the question of connecting to the laptop up as an interface device (for lack of a better term) for other host devices in this thread: Lapdock (for a mobile desktop experience and more!)

Random dumb idea: A pen. Just something you can pop out whenever you need to take a note / sign something.

2 Likes

+1 for an embedded Software Defined Radio with an SMA antenna jack.

And gigabit Ethernet, of course.

A microcontroller with DuPont compatible pins is also a great idea. I don’t use microcontrollers often, but when I have an active project it’d be nice to have that built in.

Oh, and a second wifi card with good driver support for pen testing.

4 Likes

It might be cool to see some sort of tracking device, like a Tile or preferably something open-source. Just a little module you can ping in the unlikely event you lose your precious Framework.

8 Likes

Here is someone I found on the YouTube’s building expansion cards.

7 Likes

This is @CJ_Elevated from our very own Framework Community!

7 Likes

Another dumb idea: Bluetooth headsets are getting pretty small. Maybe with a telescoping mechanism, one can fit into a module?

You know what I’d like??? A card with 2 USB-C ports per card…

Like, seriously, it looks like it can fit 2… so it feels like a waste to only have one…

1 Like

I wouldn’t just like dual USB C ports, but also dual USB A ports, One USB C and One USB A, One USB A and one Micro SD, One USB C and MicroSD, things like that. I wouldn’t mind being constrained to USB 3 speeds in each port, especially in the ones without USB C. I’m not sure Two USB As would fit in one module, nor one USB A and MicroSD, but I’m pretty sure one USB C and one USB A would physically fit just fine, at least port wise. I’d use a one C + one A module for charging and normal USB drives, a one usb C port module for more speed intensive tasks. Really just this one type of module (1A and 1C) would really help a lot. Same for a 1 C and 1 MicroSD module, which should also physically fit, port wise.

Another idea would be a flash storage module with a USB A, C, or Micro SD port. Sure, it would have to be smaller and slower than a proper SSD to coexist with the port on the side, but I think for things like data backup it would be useful. At that point, it may be more practical just to use a microSD card somewhere, but you would at least have more physical room for flash storage than microSD allows, I’d think.

Another idea I had was a USB A module with a microSD card slot on the SIDE, so while you wouldn’t be able to access it without pulling the module out, you’d still have relatively easy access to cheap expandable storage, while still having an extra USB A port.

Everyone needs to understand that it’s hard to have a type c and micro SD, it just doesn’t work electrically. Micro SD requires data + and - aswell as type c meaning that I need a switch/hub IC, USB to micro SD and all of the PD and DP protocol and chips, also most type c hub IC’s are out of stock. Two type A ports do not fit, neither one type c and one type a. ITS CHALLENGING TO FIT A 5 PIN HEADER ON A EXPANSION CARD. I’m not annoyed at framework, I’m annoyed at people who do not take circuitry and dimensions into account. I’d suggest people be a little more patient and let people like me to develop cards.

9 Likes

Some ideas:
miniPCIe (I could use this so I could plug this thing in: XTRX | Crowd Supply)
SD Express card reader
SIM card reader (to allow for cell data)
accelerometer/gyroscope
GPS
Rumble (for use with video game emulators or somesuch)
DAC with TRS input and output, possibly fullsize 1/4" jacks if they fit, for use with mic/guitar on the go
FPGA co-processor
tiny stowable travel mouse

2 Likes