What new Expansion Card types do you want to see released?

I am also working on a ATmega32U4 AVR microcontroller inside a module with 18 digital input/outputs with regulated 5v and 3.3v accessible outside the module

2 Likes

For the high-fidelity output, would it be possible to have it also include a DSP in it, like the Qudelix 5k does?

I would love to see a fuel cell expansion card, especially since the laptop can charge from any of the four ports. I have no idea how large a fuel cell needs to be, though (if any useful capacity could fit into existing expansion card volume). Perhaps even some larger cell that sticks out, charges the battery quickly and is then removed.

A what now? Like a fuel cell to use as an additional battery type of deal, I believe there are a fair amount of issues with that logistically. You’re better off with a battery bank at the end of the day.

I’m not sure if I understand the Ethernet dilemma people are mentioning here either. A dongle will suffice until the guys here can get a card out in the future, right? After all, it’s just another little cable to go with you charger anyways

2 Likes

I have a 2013 ASUS N550JV laptop with an ethernet port that has a hinged part. Given the height off the table of the FrameWork laptop I think a similar port would work.

10 Likes

How about a second or third screen? Maybe even in that screen could hold expansion cards.

After reading the whole thread, here’s a few ideas that I think are doable (plus one out-there one):

1. Slightly recessed USB-A so we can fit those mouse dongles flush to the surface.
  2. Number pad expansion that uses one or two expansion ports (on right side). Would be out two inches or so, and same height as keyboard (just an expansion of the keyboard, really). If possible, could even have another expansion port inside it. I am a big fan of number pads!
  3. An outlandish one, but somehow create a wireless charger. Would have one input, but comes with a dock that would go below the computer to connect to the wireless charger. Could be interesting, but also may only be good in concept.
4 Likes

So long as it can be made in a way that holds up over time and doesn’t easily catch on things, I really don’t see a problem with this. How else besides adapters can it be done?

I have been working/attempting Ethernet but it’s painful. The Ethernet port with integrated magnetics takes most of the space up, discrete magnetics may take up less space but the Ethernet ports still tend to be very long.

4 Likes

Welcome to our lives :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Use discrete directly to a cable with stress relief.

@nrp I understand how Ethernet is still not out yet, What kind of chips do you use for the display port expansion card as I was thinking about doing a miniDP expansion card and already done a schematic for one but just as a sanity check I wanted to make sure I was not missing anything. @ImaxinarDM Good idea, sort of makes a dongle but better than nothing.

1 Like

I posted this image in another thread for a different solution.

Instead of trying to cram all the components in a small space, why not engineer the space to be bigger?

There are at least ~4-5mm of leg room if you extend the cards depth.

If engineered properly, the design language and aesthetics will compliment the existing features.

Thoughts?

19 Likes

Is there? wouldn’t the motherboard be a hard stop regardless?

For clarity; depth from the bottom of the card slot to the bottom of the rubber feet(nomenclature) not the side to the MB.

With rubber texture:

With aluminum texture:

20 Likes

Ah, that makes a lot more sense. Not sure why I didn’t get that at first!

I mean, you could technically go higher then if you wanted to, assuming both sides had a tall card right?

:sunrise:=1k words

Yes, you could go higher. You would have make the feet higher so the pressure from the user was distributed across the bottom surface until it was unacceptable structurally and unappealing to the consumer for practical/aesthetics.

Too high and they would look like Kiss’s platform shoes.

1 Like

Would it be possible to add a CFexpress type-B card reader expansion card?

If I could have that, I wouldn’t need any dongles at all!

I mean, that sounds like a feature if you ask me!

3 Likes

It’s pretty basic. Just a Cypress CYPD3120 and 5V->3.3V regulation. Cypress should have a reference design that would be pretty similar available.