What new Expansion Card types do you want to see released?

Framework released one, it’s big so hangs out of the side of the laptop, but it does 2.5GbE as well as Gigabit.

1 Like

I was asking about updates to that one. When will it be in stock?

The link is the above two posts provide an option to be notified, users here will not have any better info.

I do know that, but I’m asking in case I missed some post about it.

1 Like

A KVM Switch Expansion Card
Essentially allows a Framework laptop to function as ‘lapdock’.

Theoretically, the laptop could could cycle thru video and data connections of approximately 4-5 individual computers (Framework laptop, the other 3 expansion ports, a possible pass-through port on KVM card). Each expansion port could be connected to a different external PC, phone, server, or even another Framework device.

The Framework laptop’s keyboard/trackpad/speakers/monitor will become available to whatever external computer is currently selected using the KVM expansion card.

The outside of the card would feature 1-4 small buttons allowing the user to cycle thru:
a. the laptop’s internal mainboard.
b. the other 3 available expansion slots (each connected to an external computer).
c. maybe the card itself could also have an external USB-C pass-through port.

Other Features:

• The Framework’s battery can act as a battery bank to power any connected SFF computers (phone/SBC).
  • Facilitates a LAN between all connected computers.
  • Bonus: Synergy and ‘screen in screen’ functionality.

Note:
The expansion card would house the hardware/firmware needed to add this functionality.
Would a BIOS or mainboard change also be required? It would be great to use the Framework’s ‘peripherals’ even when the Framework’s computer is sleeping/suspended.

6 Likes
2 Likes

I need to do another production batch, so I have a couple of expansion cards that I can do. Note that the USB hub doesn’t exactly work the best as a data transfer hub but more for basic devices like a keyboard, mouse or phone. Do not ask me what this thing is, if you don’t know what it is you more than likely do not need it. I’m also going to be selling basic USB2.0 breakout boards that I already have stock of but just waiting for my reel of 5.1k ohm resistors. (posted in niche expansion cards thread aswell)

• USB-A 2.0 4 port hub
  • Optoisolated USB-A
  • Basic DB9 serial
  • RS422 to DB9 connector
  • RS485 to DB9
  • RJ45 serial for networking gear

0 voters

2 Likes

I’d like to see a security card. I’m thinking make it either two-fold or three-fold depending on space. First fold, laptop lock module. “But you can just pop out the Expansion Card” you say? Here’s the second fold: Encryption key. If the Card is removed, the laptop does one of a few things. Either it auto-boots into a decoy VM complete with fake files and software, while the actual instance sends all the info it can to your email or a phone app. The third fold would be a GPS chip so if the thief (low intelligence being correlated to criminal activity) defeats the cable lock and the expansion card goes with the laptop, you get a ping one of two ways: when the laptop is powered on, or constantly through powered-off USB power options that I thiiiink you can enable in Windows.

I’d also love to see a GPS theft-recovery Card, something that charges off the powered-off USB that I had to disable on my desktop to get my mouse to stop lighting up when I jiggle it. Not sure if this would work on a laptop, not sure if you could get adequate power delivery, and while it’d be REALLY cool to give it like a 4G connection so you could activate it and get its location regardless of if it’s powered up or not, that might not be realistic. Give it a dummy port like a MicroSD slot complete with a knockoff MicroSD logo. If it isn’t possible to get it to ping constantly, maybe do something where it pings when it’s turned on, and maaaybe even do the boot-into-decoy-VM trick I mentioned earlier.

I’d also like to see one of those wireless charging modules. Being able to stick a pad or five on my laptop stand and have it charge without plugging it in would be sweet.

1 Like

I would like to second this. There are some hardware that would be great to plug into the Framework and the Framework acts as a screen+speaker+keyboard+trackpad.

6 Likes

Hmmm.

Given how powerful Thunderbolt is, would it make sense to have an external KVM box, with all the requisite connectors, and then have a short cable to an expansion card?

Have the expansion card make the laptop the I/O for the user, but put the real intelligence (switching via a signal from the laptop, protocol shifting, resolution… resolution :wink: ) in the box.

Then you’re not limited by bays for client count, or connector type, or… power, I think?

Just some random thoughts. I like the idea of using the Framework in a KVM setup.

2 Likes

At least for me, I would like to maintain portability while doing it, the system could be in another room so I would like if I can walk to it and plug into my Framework, once I am done, I can walk over to another room with another system. Carrying around an external KVM box would be kinda annoying.

Kinda like the GPD Pocket 3 mentioned above (GPD Pocket 3 - Shenzhen GPD Technology Co., Ltd.).

That being said, I wonder how much would it cost to make one with PCB design and 3D printing an expansion card. I suspect the Framework BIOS requires some modification as well.

2 Likes

Would love to have a S/PDIF expansion card so I can connect my FLAC library to an external DAC and on to my HiFi system.

This may be of interest

Maybe not looks like 71W using PD :slight_smile:

1 Like

VGA, Please

1 Like

Likely not possible due to the motherboard but hdmi input would be very useful

7 Likes

Yea quite a few of us are hoping for a way to have a KVM module for the Framework.

4 Likes

Complete reverse.

yes, I could see a market for streamer where they have one dedicated gaming pc and the FW laptop as encoding and streaming machine

1 Like

I want to see a 10G card or 10G ethernet as part of a Framework Dock solution. This would greatly enhance my workflow when moving around large datasets to external storage.

1 Like