What new Expansion Card types do you want to see released?

Yes and no :slight_smile:

If you have a problem with a module you can ask support and there is a case reported that Framework would send whatevr modules the customer wanted, but yes that would not be sent from an EU store but direct from Taiwan I imagine.
Maybe there is a USA store that would send.

1 Like

personally id love to see thunderbolt 4 dual expansion card.

They’ve talked about dual Type-C. Wasn’t enough space behind them for the controller and other required components.

An extra 9-cell battery plugged directly to an expansion bay with magnets for the other side (or even one small screw for permanent use) would be amazing.

Yeah, it was possible, but they couldn’t keep Display Port integrity standards I believe.

@nrp

Hi, any news on the ethernet module and when it’s likely to be available?

From what I understand framework does not have one being developed currently. I am developing one with frameworks funding, I’m estimating my first prototypes to come in on the 6th so hopefully end of May/early June for mass production.

5 Likes

How about a multi USB-A card with a normal A and a micro A. The micro A would allow you to use a phone charger cord backwards to attach a second USB A device.

Another very niche device would be an SDR, just add an antenna and start snooping.

I also want to add my voice for a mag attach charger, a safety device who’s passing many mourn.

you mean a micro B. and the bit that would catch a lot of people out is that not all A-micro B cables are fully wired, some have the data lines shorted to make them charge cables.

LTE sim card would be dope too

4 Likes

Will it be possible for a power expansion card that adding about 2000mah of battery?

In such a small expansion card. I doubt it.

Do you want it chargeable form the USBC slot too.

Even at 3.85V that would be a squeeze.

As the laptop may use a minimum of 8000mA per hour (8watts) 2 watts isn’t going to be very useful

If you are thinking of a 15V for example that’s four batteries in a little box ???

15V x 2000mAh is 30watts, that is quite substantial in size too

If you are thinking of something larger then a separate power ‘brick’ may be preferable.

True, but it could be packed into a nice little set of two expansion cards at the back that can lift the laptop up by a few inches (almost like a laptop stand maybe).

That would help with ventilation too :slight_smile:

1 Like

+1, and sign me up if anyone makes this.

I think the way the Framework expansion card system was designed is not great… welcome to my Ted Talk.
Maybe the next iteration of the laptop could have one big slot per side. There could be mini-cards that are slotted (like tongue-and-groove floor boards) that click into the two TB4 ports (electrically) and to each other (mechanically).
Big cards would take up the entire space (of two mini-cards) and plug into one or both of the TB4 ports.
This design would leave plenty of space for all sorts of wacky ports and their accompanying PCBs all while having a smaller footprint overall. The little charging lights and card release button would need to be relocated, but the added functionality could be worth it.

Tongue-and-groove

Rough diagram and example with my own Framework

7 Likes

it’s hard to argue about the exact size when, if you really think about it, this laptop don’t have ethernet, and each usb4 only have enough space to lead out to a single USB-A. And a full-size SD card is a extremely tight fit.

What do I want?
A charging port (could be USB-C or barrel jack), 3 USB-A, a Ethernet, a full size SD card reader, at least 1 Thunderbolt, and some form of Displayport (AltMode supported) out. And for many others, this config will also suffice.

It is impossible to get these on the current framework without having to carry spares. Yes, when I don’t do presentation all I would need is 3 USB-A modules and a type c module for charging, but no, when I need to I have to swap them out. handy, but could be better.

Some will say I should get a external hub. I don’t agree. Unless there is no internal USB hub (highly unlikely), I think it’s more reasonable to connect to some of that hub’s ports so we don’t need two hubs talking to each other

The other problem with big monolithic units is that, yes it provides about 5mm of more width for PCB and components, but it also occupy 2 USB-C slots. That’s not a huge improvement, especially consider the re-tooling and other needs to make such a thing.

Although, upgrade from 2 USB port (of any choice) to 4 is quite juicy.

I think that will create a lot SKU’s. Which isn’t a great idea for any company, let alone a small one.
Though yes it would have been nicer if they where a little bigger to allow multiple USB ports. But that’s doable in the future.

My other thought is there wont be enough support in the centre of the two mini cards, it will be very easy to break parts with such a small join.

That’s why I’m looking at framework (if they get around to shipping where I live) I don’t want to carry around dongles. Also the repair-ability is something I like.

1 Like

An interesting option would be a combined USB-C + USB-A card without a hub, just the two connectors connected to the same port (you could only use one of them at a time). You would have to be very careful and possibly it could damage something if you plugged stuff into both ports at the same time. But other than that, it would be basically “free” (just PCB + connectors) and you won’t need to worry how many USB-A vs USB-C connectors to choose based on whether you encounter USB-A or USB-C devices more often. It would also preserve all the charging/altmode features of the USB-C. I am not sure whether the branching traces on the PCB would not mess up USB signal propagation but hopefully one could get away with that if they are short enough.

2 Likes