What’s in Your Bag?

Hi @Johnny, the USB-C cards do indeed support DP Alt Mode for video output!

3 Likes

Thanks @nrp that’s awesome by saving an extra card slot for me.

1 Like

My bag is almost maxed out DIY.
I7, 64 gb ram 2 tb 850 drive
1 each storage, 2 each usba, and c

Mixed decision on the 1185, vs 1165. Not sure if it’s worth the 400 extra

2 Likes

@Edward_Gray Z sounds like you’re going all out! You won’t be lacking for RAM for a little while! :laughing:

From prior experience, maxing ram rarely hurts

1 Like

Keeping it pretty simple since I’m a desktop user looking for a dependable secondary device. Going with the i7-1165G7 DIY. Bringing a 500GB drive and 16GB RAM to start. My ports are going to be 2x USB-C and 2x USB-A with a microSD card in the bag.

I have an extra Windows 10 Pro key to use, so I’ll be running that.

1 Like

I went nearly all out and agree with @Edward_Gray 100% about RAM :slight_smile:

2 Likes
  • CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-1135G7
  • Memory: 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200
  • Storage: 1TB - WD_BLACK™ SN750 NVMe™
  • WiFi: Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 No vPro®
  • 2 USB-C
  • 1 USB-A
  • 1 HDMI

I use my laptop to ssh to more powerful compute servers and clusters at work, so I settled for the i5 here to save some money.

Wish I could avoid that HDMI, but there are projectors at work that only take HDMI (some take VGA so I carry a VGA-HDMI dongle!)

Planning to dual-boot Windows + Ubuntu (or maybe Mint?) so it’s nice to have a 1TB drive that I can split 50/50.

3 Likes

Yes @Atul_Ingle a dual boot set up seems practical.

This laptop checked all my boxes. I wanted something between 13 and 14 inches with a high end processor and a ton of ram. I like playing with virtual machines so Ram was critical. I opted for the i7-1165G7 because I don’t have a need for the vpro functionality and the extra cost wasn’t worth the minimal bump in performance. Can’t wait for the clear keyboard and the screen bezels. @nrp any chance at a clear bezel?

Here’s the config:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-1165G7
Storage: 2TB - WD_BLACK™ SN850 NVMe™
Memory: 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4-3200
WiFi: Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 No vPro®

Expansion cards:

• 2 USB-A
  • 1 HDMI
  • 1 Storage – 1TB
  • 2 USB-C
1 Like

@Emery_Eggers nice build. What OSes will you be running?

@Michael_Richards Manjaro w/KDE and Ubuntu for sure and I may throw on a copy of Windows 10.

1 Like

I went full out, but didn’t see the point in maximizing storage.

The 250gb storage will be a Ubuntu drive, and the main 1TB will be for Windows.

I find WSL and especially gWSL very compelling. It almost invalidates the need for a dedicated Linux bootable system. (I am a developer targeting Windows) Time will tell. If the mic and webcam pass through work as well as the Wayland end of things, I could see me using the 250gb drive as a projects storage drive.

Although I have to say that Ubuntu with Gnome, Dash to Panel, and ArcMenu is pretty excellent. I could totally use it as a dedicated system. Steam’s work with Wine through Proton (well Codeweaver’s work) has been excellent as well.

Very excited about the system, and getting it dialed in. :+1:

1 Like

This’ll be my work laptop, not sure the OS but I’ve been thinking about just diving into Arch

2 Likes

@Johnny, @Jace_Hensley, and @Michael_Richards, you guys may want to reconsider getting a single 32gb stick of RAM, and go with two 16gb sticks instead, as you are likely to have a noticable performance hit running your RAM in single-channel vs having 2 sticks in dual channel. There’s currently no cost difference between the two options, and you could likely sell the pair of 16gb sticks pretty easily later on if you need to upgrade to 64gb. Just my 2 cents. :blush::+1:

5 Likes

Linux development machine. Mostly planning on using it for Rust work, but that could change in the future. Maxed out the CPU and RAM to help with compile times and hungry IDEs. Currently planning on using the 250GB storage card as a boot/root drive, with the 2TB drive used for home directories. I may reconsider that though, it might be nice to be able to reclaim that external port and still be able to use the laptop.

framework_laptop_config

2 Likes

Definitely @Dan_Brunsink I hadn’t realized this when I first did my build planning. Thanks for looking out!

2 Likes

Decided to bite the bullet and just go with the 2x32GB :person_shrugging: thanks!

4 Likes

This is my personal laptop. General use, also for travel, photography and video editing etc.

Tomtoc Bag. Went with the one with two accessory compartments.

Logitech Pebble M350 Bluetooth Mouse. The bluetooth saves needing to use a USB dongle, and works well once you turn off “allow OS to power this device off” setting for the mouse driver. Otherwise you get pauses. Low battery drain. Not much different to USB dongle.

Anker USB C to Ethernet Adapter. Gigabit and doesn’t take up much room.

Short Micro USB to USB C Cable. For connecting to cameras etc.

Fasgear USB C to USB C Cable. Good power cable. More flexible than one from Framework.

USB C Magnetic Adapter. Cool little magnetic “Mag-safe” adapter.

USB C Charger Anker 65W. Charger is smaller than Framework one.

Satechi Aluminum Type-C USB 3.0 3-in-1 Combo Hub. This thing is awesome. It has the missing full sized SD card slot in addition to a micro SD, two USB type A ports, and a USB-C. When working with photo / video I plug all my cards in here at once. Even quicker than swapping out Framework adapters.

TP-Link AC750 Wireless Portable Nano Travel Router(TL-WR902AC). Tiny travel router.

Framework Expansion Card Holder.
https://community.frame.work/t/another-expansion-card-holder

3 Likes

Very basic setup and use case. i5, 8gb, 256gb, 2x USB-C and 2x USB-A. The only upgrade I may consider is another 8gb ram, but this is already such an upgrade I’m in no hurry.
Personal and work related MS Office apps, minor photo editing, hotel surfing friend on frequent company overnights, company Remote Desktop use.
Previously used an old Dell laptop at home and a Surface Go for the road. I will replace both with the Framework, and keep the Go as a “back up”.