What's Your Favorite Linux Distro?

• Fedora
  • Ubuntu
  • Pop!_OS
  • Other (Reply below)

0 voters

2 Likes

Arch. Nothing that wasn’t installed and configured by me intentionally.

For a more click and go experience, Fedora.

5 Likes

Linux Mint. I jumped ship from Ubuntu when Canonical doubled down on Unity years ago. I know it’s considered for newbies, but it works very well and is very stable.

I’ve experimented with just about every other distro, but when it comes to my daily driver I just want it to work. I’ll limit playing and experimenting to a VM.

Ubuntu is looking really slick lately but I’ve gotten used to Mint.

7 Likes

Debian (stable, with kernel and firmware from testing for hardware support).

1 Like

Manjaro, currently. (padding length)

2 Likes

Currently using MX linux (debian without systemd) on my deskop but it’s getting a little irritating how far behind debian is with some of their packages (e.g wine version on debian stable is 5.0.3 which is EOL upstream), so I’m thinking about jumping ship to funtoo, which my framework is running. im thinking the compiling from source shouldnt be too painful on an 8 core zen+

I’m still using Ubuntu LTS. I still haven’t found a compelling reason for moving to another Distro.

3 Likes

Arch Linux - because you build exactly what you want, the Arch Wiki and the Arch AUR.

pAULIE42o
. . . . . . . . .
/s

5 Likes

I use openSUSE Tumbleweed, been mostly flawless for me.

2 Likes

Artix. Been using it since it dropped, tbh. I’m accustomed to it’s shenanigans.

MX for production work. MX KDE on my Framework since I received it in Nov…just an all-around dream machine.

1 Like

Using Ubuntu 22.04 LTS its stable and does every thing I ask of it

2 Likes

Slackware! I started off with 15 on the Framework but have now moved to the current version.

perhaps arch should be an explicit option in this poll? not just because i use it ( :wink: ) but it is quite popular on the steam survey.

Moved to Linux Mint Cinnamon from from Ubuntu many years ago when the introduction of Unity just seemed to break everything. I found Mint very usable and it was easy to switch between a work PC running windows and a home PC using the Cinnamon desktop. Using the Edge version at the moment for Kernel support waiting to see what version 21 will be like. Tempted to move to Fedora.

1 Like

@FrameworkBee I’m mostly wondering why you (as a Framework team member) are asking.

No reason actually! We’re just curious what everyone’s favorite distro is :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m not really partial to any distro. I’ve had to use Windows for school for quite a while now but when I used Linux on my personal machine pre-school, I mainly used Lubuntu, a derivative of Ubuntu. I’ve also experimented with Manjaro on occasion.

There’s no easy way to do this, but I’m always curious about the polling breakdown while operating within certain constraints.

As a half-baked example, within Framework’s context I’d be curious for comparisons of distros by use-case. This could be a comparison between beginner-friendly distro’s (Ubuntu, Mint, Pop!, etc.) or between power user distros (Fedora/Arch/Suse).

Beyond Framework, I find the usual discussion about “what distro is best” to be of decreasing value. I don’t think it would be that hard to matrix all of the differences between the distros (package managers and compatibility, init system, window manager, release cadence, desktop environments, multimedia frameworks etc.).

Framework and Linux are a match made in heaven because of their modular nature. Due to modularity, it’s far more helpful to address the “why” behind the above-listed components that are specific to the distribution rather than the “what” that people initially interact with in a distribution. I don’t understand why there is no existing matrixed comparison between distros that enables people to assess the pros and cons of a given distribution’s components rather than repetitive and incomplete generalisms about a given distribution.

For example, I’m a relative newcomer to Linux. I now know that wayland and pipewire are prerequisites for my use-case. Separately, I’m curious about MX’s lack of SystemD and what that actually means. The matrix I would like to see could inform me about how these modular components (Wayland and Pipewire) can integrate with the variable that I’m less familiar with (SystemD), thus more efficiently enabling my success with less experimentation and floundering.

1 Like