Framework Privacy Screen

I wonder if anyone is using a 3M privacy screen on their Framework laptop ? If so, which one fits the best or works for you ?

3 Likes

ViaScreens has correctly-sized privacy protectors:

2 Likes

Thanks, but pity that the attachment of the filters are not magnetic, especially since the bezel of ours is.

JFYI:
The wrong closest in size is the Microsoft Surface 3, 13,5" : 12.1” x 8.8” x .57” (308 mm x 223 mm x 14.5 mm)
vs
Framework 13,5" : 285,5 x 191

https://www.amazon.fr/Kensington-Confidentialité-Magnétique-Protecteur-Amovible/dp/B08KWGYB6L/ref=sr_1_20

1 Like

Just asking again since it’s been a year. :grinning:

@feesh states that ViaScreens has a privacy screen - the price as of today is US$66 (expensive)

@Alexis-Emmanuel_Haer mentions that “the wrong [?] closest in size” is the 3M screen for the Surface 3

Does the 3M Surface 3 privacy screen fully cover the visible surface of the Framework screen?

Has anyone else had luck finding a 3M-branded privacy screen that perfectly fits the Framework screen?

Why do you wish a 3M branded one?

If you are in the US you should check PhotoDon

2 Likes

@prepaidpyramid asked why I seek a 3M-branded privacy screen.

1. Experience: I have one on my Lenovo x220 and it is wonderful - it even has a cool gold-colored appearance when viewed from the side.

2. Price: The one that fits the x220 is only $39.95 vs the ViaScreens $65.

That said, I thank your for suggesting PhotoDon. I will take a look.

@Eduardo_Sanchez You could order a 3M screen custom made if you really want to do so

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/privacy-screen-protectors-us/resources/custom/

Please report back on the quality. I plan on getting one from PhotoDon when I will be in the US next summer.

@prepaidpyramid I can do that. It’s excellent. I use the 4-way privacy screen. It goes on fairly easily and is capable of being removed without being too easy. Privacy function works as advertised and doesn’t hinder brightness much at all. The fit is perfect but I suggest you install with the bezel on. The protector is not large enough to cover the screen and go under the bezel. There is the barest sliver of screen that isn’t covered but it isn’t noticeable unless I look for it. They do not include a spare but they do include wipes, dust stickers and a microfiber cloth. 10/10

1 Like

What? Doesn’t it say on the website it isn’t?

Thanks for the info. Hopefully when I get one I won’t break my screen again(first time it was because my dad pushed to hard on the lid(new CNC one) when holding it)

Just checked, it does say one time installation. I expect that to be true in the long run. Really I just meant about adjusting it when first putting it on. It does want to stay on, I had to gently peel it up to avoid damaging the display. But you can do it, unstick it too many times and the adhesive wears out tho.

wut? lol

I sympathize, I fried the motherboard after some liquid metal dripped out a month after purchase and shorted my RAM and VRMs…lesson learned.

Idk happend with my reply. It got messed up as I’m sure the continuation is the last paragraph from it.

1 Like

In my case, I have used them with past laptops and they’re quite effective. Great image when sitting right in front, no image when even slightly angled view - useful when sitting right next to someone else at a table, for example.

Granted, COVID now pretty much guarantees no one is nearby, but this grew into a habit.

If you are EU-based and want to avoid the pain of importing stuff from the US, check out upscreen. They sell for example on schutzfolien24.de.

As for 3M although they have privacy screens for 13.5" laptops with a 3:2 display I’ve found none whose dimensions match those of the Framework display (which are 287mm x 192mm according to my measurements). I think they are all made for bezel-less laptops (with flat front glass) since they all have a diagonal considerably larger than 13.5".

If you are really exclusively looking for a 3M branded screen (and a bit into DIY) then you might try cutting it to your needs with an utility knife. I’ve done this in the past (although with an unknown brand).

1 Like

By the way I got a 10% discount code for my order from schutzfolien24.de and since I don’t plan to order from them again in the near future you can have it. Feel free to use it if you order from them and keep in mind that this is a one-time code, so the first-come first-served principle applies.

Code: SF2442316391

Also I want to let you know about my experience with importing a Photodon privacy screen to EU (Austria to be specific) because it was MUCH less of a pain than expected.

The shipment took only 7 (!) days to arrive with the cheapest option (which still was 25 bucks tho), which was exactly as fast as the shipment from schutzfolien24.de but they ship from Germany. There also were no taxes or customs or whatsoever. This was the most hassle-free order from overseas that I had in my life.

Additionally I complained about them not having a detachable 4-way privacy screen and guess what, they just gave me the installation kit for the removable 2-way filter for free and wrote a little note that if I don’t remove the backliner I and use this kit I basically have my desired detachable 4-way screen. I did not get to test their installation kit because I already ordered this kit from upscreen but about not removing the backliner I can say that this works reasonably well and I can’t see much of a difference when I compare this to my old privacy screen.

So two lessons learned here. First, the shipping to EU (or at least Austria) is working awesome and second they don’t have a detachable 4-way filter explicitly listed but you can still get one if you ask nicely :wink:

As a side node, since the discussion here now got more involved about privacy-screens in general and not only 3M branded ones we maybe should rename the topic to something more general like “Framework privacy screen”. I would do this myself but I think I am not privileged enough for this.

Note that I renamed this thread’s title from “Which Framework Privacy Screen fits the best” to “Framework Privacy Screen” as @null asked me by sending a message. Note not only me, but also some other people can edit the title.

2 Likes

Update on this, just got an 18 bucks invoice from FedEx for import tax :expressionless:

2 Likes