Which Linux distribution do you want to use on your Framework Laptop?

Planning to go for Pop_os!

@nrp, could you add it to the poll? Would love to see how much of the community wants to use it on the Framework.

2 Likes

I am also leaning toward Pop_os. I have it on a desk top and I like it. I am a newbie and also have it in my mind that Pop should work well on laptop given its developer.

1 Like

@Brian_A_Hart I’ve tested that both Pop!_OS 21.04 and Fedora 34 as well as Fedora 35 run swimmingly on this. I need to re-test the fingerprint reader in Fedora 35 still, but I feel you’ll have an enjoyable experience.

I’d like to see a follow-up poll for “Which Linux distribution did you end up using on your Framework?” Comparing the results of this early poll with the more recent forum discussions, it seems like Fedora has gained a lot of new users by going out of its way to support Framework. Probably also Arch and its derivatives (where I ended up with Manjaro).

1 Like

I was thinking about this last night as I was installing yet another distro on my expansion card - this time, Deepin.

My original distros on this machine were (along with Windows) Ubuntu 21.10 and Fedora 34, then 35. Since then, I’ve added Zorin (quad booting) then on the expansion card: Elementary OS, Manjaro, and Deepin. I have an iMessage/Home Assistant server running Debian 11.

All these distros and I keep booting happily into my Fedora 35, after just trying it thanks to a Framework community recommendation.

I have to say I’m genuinely impressed with how well Debian sid worked out of the box on this thing. Of course I had to install using the unofficial ISO with non-free firmware included, but that’s to be expected. It’s fast and snappy, all the hardware “Just Works™”, and it’s simply a joy to use!

1 Like

Has anyone tried Parrot OS yet? If so, how did it go?

Anyone who doesn’t vote for my favorite distro is an “Arch enemy”!

(kidding)

3 Likes

I would like to see support for Qubes OS

3 Likes

I would like to have Garuda Linux distro support available but for now I’ve got Ubuntu 21.10.

Not listed, EndeavourOS

2 Likes

Same here! I really strongly prefer the arch ecosystem, documentation, etc. EndeavourOS strikes a great great balance between a simpler install experience and not ending up with a bloated install. Some hiccups in the installer, and still some post install tasks to do, but both steps took me less than a third of the time of a normal arch x86 install…

1 Like

@Chris_Eden do you have a guide for the iMessage server? I’ve been looking into this and found a couple of years old posts, but haven’t tried to get anything going.

I’m running Pop!_OS

@Winston_Hoy - Sorry, I misspoke in that message, now that I look at it. I actually have a separate Intel NUC running Debian for Home Assistant and Plex. My iMessage server (running Air Message) was actually a MacBook in my furnace room running OSX.

I was going to figure out how to run OSX in a VM on my NUC to combine everything, but decided to do away with it altogether. I just make my family use WhatsApp with me now. :slight_smile:

Anyway, in a nutshell, your options are to use a VM (I’ve seen some guides online) or find a used MacBook (with a broken screen is ideal, nice and cheap) or Mac Mini.

[edit] - happy to dig up the best links I can find to save you the trouble, depending on your specific needs.

@Chris_Eden Air Message is exactly what I was looking for, thank you! I had found a number of rougher repos doing something similar. Was Air Message working well for you? I’m primarily trying to give a Linux Desktop user the ability to send and receive iMessages as they would from a macOS desktop via the messages app or their iPhone. Air Message seems to have a web client that should work for Linux Desktop. Were there any major caveats for you?

@Winston_Hoy - No major caveats, but as with anything like this, there are occasional issues that are hard to explain, but that can impact sending/receiving at times. I had started dabbling in Blue Bubbles because of this. Both seem to work quite well nonetheless. You’ll just need to make sure you’ve got an OSX machine or VM, an open port, and a DNS service (noip was recommended, and works well for me). Feel free to DM for details (if I can remember them). :slight_smile:

@Chris_Eden Blue Bubbles was one I had heard of actually. Thanks for all of this, I’d be running over Wireguard I think with static IP and perhaps a local hosts file entry for it.

1 Like

I’ll throw the thread a third mention of Slackeware-current, it’s on my Thinkpad as I type and I wouldn’t want to lose the benefits. Xfce matters as much on a day to day basis.

A fresh install of Fedora 35, not upgrading from 34, has proven to be an excellent choice for me. I’m using the KDE Spin and am very happy with everything. So far, everything I’ve tested works without issues – fingerprint reader, camera, microphone, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi 6 w/WPA3-SAE, trackpad, external monitor (HDMI).

I haven’t benchmarked battery life, because I mostly use the machine plugged in with a USB keyboard, Bluetooth mouse, and monitor. I have a Thunderbolt dock on the way that I expect to work based off of the thread in the forums.

I did install tuned for performance tuning, using the Desktop profile, and tlp for managing battery life.

1 Like

At this point, I’ve settled on Qubes 4.1. I originally thought I would try that for a bit before switching to Arch. However, Qubes has been running so well that I see no reason to switch.
That said, I’m not using Framework’s WiFi card (never bought it so I don’t know if it’ll work), and I learned not to let it sleep

1 Like