Which Linux distribution do you want to use on your Framework Laptop?

Debian, here, though I think I’ll need to compile a fresh kernel considering Bullseye is only shipping with 5.10.x. We’ll see what ends up in Bookworm once progress starts again on the Testing branch.
I’d choose another distro but it’d either be Debian with extra steps and bloat (Ubuntu, Pop!_OS) or a fidget toy.

Artix. Drive I’m yanking from my current box’s running that duallbooted with W10. Although, I haven’t done a full reinstall since last year… might just do it.

2 Likes

I ran PopOS at first. But recently switched to ElementaryOS. Likely will stay on that. But I was considering also Arch and Xubuntu. Previously I have used Kali, and run Parrot OS on thinkpad in dual boot with windows 10. All of the linux distros I just mentioned I considered using.

With that said, I think likely for the framework laptop I am sticking with Elementary OS.

1 Like

Update: Pop!_OS 21.04 functions perfectly fine! Haven’t tested the fingerprint reader under it yet. On my other WD drive, I’m daily driving Fedora 34 perfectly fine!

1 Like

Running Pop!_OS 21.04 same experience as @Alex_S installation was simple, and coming from a Windows user was pleasantly surprised at how smooth and easy it all was, and everything works great (expect for fingerprint sensor, but I haven’t tried to do anything about that yet.)

I put enough RAM in to run Windows as a VM for any Windows specific things I might still need to do. I noticed that I mostly just used my previous laptop for browsing anyway, so hoping for more stability from this setup.

1 Like

Fellow gentoo user here are the drivers in the gentoo-sources or Linux firmware packages for touch login support

Or run your preferred Linux distro (Ubuntu is preferred for this suggestion) and install the sosumi snap. One stop shop for setting up a hackintosh vm. There are a bunch of videos out there talking about how to configure it based on your needs. This is, IMHO, a much better solution than trying to run it natively. Especially since Apple is abandoning x86. Your longevity through a VM is much better as you might be able to emulate ARM.

I have been trying to get Kali to live/usb boot but have had 0 luck with either the 250GB expansion card or a normal usb drive. I am just wondering if anyone has gotten usb boot to work with linux. I have gone into the bios and make sure that usb boot is enabled and tested on another computer and the drive works just as it should on those other computers but every time on the framework laptop I am getting a No Boot Device Found error.

Update: Already figured out that it was secure boot. Once I disabled it I was all good to go. I am sure if it added the boot location as a trusted source it would also fix the problem. I rarely mess with secure boot so this slipped my mind.

I’m interesting in trying Fedora Linux Mate spin. I would load F35 when it releases. Has anyone had any experience with that?

F34 is being used by many and works great. I would imagine there would be no problems with 35.

Pretty keen on using Zorin tbh, been Mint until now but tempted by a change. And waiting for Framework to announce shipping to New Zealand for a simple ol country farmer hick like me… :smiley:

Been running Fedora 34 flawlessly on this great machine. Might test Garuda or Pop!_OS in the future.

1 Like

I’ve been enjoying Qubes on mine. I had to get the 4.1 beta because the 4.0.4 installer went into a boot loop.

@Andrew_Holden, curious which wifi device yours has? I got one with the AX210 and the netvm seems to get stuck in a loop disconnecting and reconnecting to the device (when using Debian for sys-vms). I haven’t had time to look into it further than that but am wondering if that’s a common problem…

I scavenged the WiFi module from my Asus Zen AIO Pro. It’s an Intel 7265 rev 59.

I am running Slackware-current on my framework laptop right now. There was some learning curve to get UEFI working correctly. I was used to a menu in the bios to choose which file I wanted to boot from, so I moved everything to a generic location for ease of use.
I am using an older WiFi module right now (I was booting from a Kali live USB drive and got tired of using a USB card). So i’ll have to try the shipped one later. This is on the non-vPro i7.

2 Likes

I think I posted it in another thread as well, but the efi settings I ended up using were:
folder: /boot/efi/EFI/boot
files: bootx64.efi, initrd.gz, vmlinuz, elilo.conf
I had to be sure to add i915 to my modules for booting then generate initrd again.
If its helpful, i have the following as initrd modules:
usbhid:hid_generic:ext3:vfat:nvme:i915:tpm
the usbhid was to allow for USB keyboards, but it doesn’t work, so you can remove those. and make sure your root filesystem format of choice is there, ext3:xfs:btfs:reiserfs etc. if its ntfs-3G, you’re probably doing something very wrong, or very right. :smiley:

EDIT:
I deleted elilo.cfg and rebooted, so, elilo.conf works just fine.
(I don’t remember which conf it uses, will test later, I think its .conf though.)

1 Like

Can someone from the company please send a free Framework to Linus Torvalds? Just because. Thanks.

4 Likes

I’ve been thinking about giving Garuda Linux a shot. I’ve been wanting to swap from an Ubuntu/Debian based distro for a while now, I generally use Kubuntu and sometimes Xubuntu, and this seemed like a good place to start while getting familiar with something Arch based.

Plan on just putting a vanilla Arch install on mine after debating between Solus and Arch.

1 Like