Which Linux Distro ? FW 16 Edition

Comrade_Stiv

5d

B16 could come way quicker than I expected… meaning I need to pick up the pace playing with distros and make a damn decision lol

Hey Comrade_Stiv
Elevated Systems posted a YouTube video reviewing 4 alternate distros:

[Framework 16: Best Laptop for Linux Users?]

DISTRO - Desktop
1 Linux Mint - Cinnamon
2 Pop!_OS - Gnome
3 Arch Based:

• Garuda - KDE dragonize
  • Arco - xfce

So there might be some community interest in your findings regarding linux distro comparisons and decision.

Nomad

Edward_Mark

17h

Would be nice if also threw in Ubuntu or Fedora for comparison, I assume he used the Mint Edge version? The LTS kernel 5.15 on Mint 21.3 seems a bit too old no?

Hey Nomad,
Elevated System did post a previous YouTube for FW13-AMD touching on
1 Ubuntu 22.04 LTS - Gnome
2 Fedora 39 - Gnome
3 Arch based
Manjaro - KDE Plasma
EndeavourOS -Xfce

After looking at the Community Guidelines, I’m not sure I should post a link to his video without his permission. Just search YouTube for “Linux on the AMD Framework, TESTED!”

Re: Mint version
I didn’t pick up if he specified that he tested with the Edge version or not.

BTW,
He also posted 2 other FW16 YouTube videos that may be of interest:

1. “From Faulty to Fixed” - comparing Batch 1 to Batch 4
  2. And he actually returned both of them!
    He has a FW 16 wrapup video
    “Framework 16: The Future of Laptops or … ?”
    He ended this video saying he will continue with other Framework mainboard projects.

Huh, thought I’ve seen a video of him testing Windows 11, Fedora and Ubuntu on the FW16 before, might have been another creator.
Will have to watch the others later.

Personally, I’m going to be going Debian Testing (Trixie) on ZFS Root. Will make it easy to simply do a snapshot before each update, and revert back fairly easily if any update breaks things.

Artix = Arch - SystemD + OpenRC (and a few more)

I support Red Hat for money, and do Fedora on this (Lenovo) laptop. There was an incompatibility in Fedora 39 on some package so I installed Fedora 38 instead. Besides that, I haven’t had any issues upgrading on my laptops for the last decade, nor on my media PC.

I don’t consider reverting to be much of a thing. Don’t get me wrong, I perform backups- especially just before a major update- but it’s quite reliable.

As an aside, I upgraded my media PC hardware and installed Ubuntu on it. It pretty much looks and tastes exactly like Fedora. Obviously there are differences (package management and system settings mostly) but the daily experience would be unnoticeable by, say, my wife.

Using KDE Neon. Uses Ubuntu LTS 22.04 (will go to 24.04 some time may/june) with the HWE kernel. Everything works out of the box.
Install using the FW guidelines for ubuntu and be done!

I’m running Arch Linux and loving it.

1 Like

My machines all run ubuntu lts. Ubuntu 24.04 release in production (tomorrow?). I don’t care about anything flashy, but it’s best to go with the newest one that works stably for you as the newer repos make life easier over the next (years) you use it.

My 16 came a few days ago. I have not completed my install but I ran an overnight stress-test with the live-usb of 24.04 BETA and observed no problems.