Who wants a project? CF-Express A Reader

Hi everyone, as I wait to get my FW16, was curious if there is a maker out there in the USA that would be interested in working on project for me. I use Sony cameras and they have CF Express Type A cards. There is a compact reader from Sabrent that I think could be transformed into an expansion card. Willing to purchase the reader and fund some dev time if there is an interested party.

1 Like

While I can’t make cards … Here are the dimensions …

The issue tends to be that the receptacles are much larger than the cards.

2 Likes

In this case the cards are pretty small, and the housings which tend to be larger than needed, are still pretty close to the expansion card sizes. ‎2.2 x 1.77 x 0.59 inches

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BT2N841V/?coliid=I9MKQZOO0OGRQ&colid=187WBLYIZ2QKA&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

Even if not flush, having stick out a little would not be the end of the world.

CFExpesss type A cards are the same size as SD cards.
Different electrically, though.
In prior posts, a small USB-C SD card reader was adapted into a Frame.work expansion card format.

It may be possible, for a CFExpress Type A, based in that.

Really nice if it could do SD, SD UHS-II, and CFExpress Type A in one slot.

I would be more interested in a Type B reader, as that is what my cameras use.

Those full size SD card readers inside a Framework expansion card case were barely possible. Mounting tabs on the SD receptacle had to be cut off.
If the CF-Expesss receptacle’s frame is even a couple mm wider, or has protrusions, it may not fit.

~edit~
I see type A is 20mm wide, 4mm less than a full size SD. Worth exploring the size of connectors that can be found in small quantities. I took a glance on mouser but didn’t see a type A one.

2 Likes

Yeah, based on eye balling it is a guess, and I dont have the skills to open a reader and shave it down and convert the cable to just a post, hence my offer to buy a reader and fund a few hours of exploration.