Will Framework Chromebook work with more than 1tb nvme?

I know the specs on the Framework Chromebook say up to 1tb nvme storage, but is it possible to put in a 2 tb nvme drive in? Will it cause issues or even work?

1 Like

You can even put an 8tb one in there if your wallet can take it XD

1 Like

This feels like a good question for support. While the slot for the drive should support any NVMe drive, I cannot find any information on compatibility with the hardware/software, and that could limit you to a max drive space. (someone who knows better may be able to correct me on this, but support will 100% know the answer)

What do you need storage for on chromeos anyway? Isn’t the whole point that everything is cloud based?

1 Like

no need to be rude about it, I’m sure they have a reason for it if they are asking (even future-proofing, or avoiding relying on cloud storage are acceptable reasons!)

1 Like

Wasn’t meant to be rude, genuinely curious. It’s been a long time since I used chromeos so I was wondering if there were practical ways to actually use local storage now. Only thing that came to mind was the steam on chromeos thing.

1 Like

Are there any differences between the Chromebook and the regular ones besides the OS? So couldn’t you technically just install Windows or Linux on it?

There are some differences but pretty sure at least linux should still be install-able. Then there would not be a potential storage limitation though.

In addition to steam, another reason for additional local storage would be if the “crostini” linux environment is being used. It doesn’t have to use a lot of space, but if one had multiple VMs that could use up more storage.

2 Likes

The most useful information is here:

I asked support. They didn’t give more information than I could find myself.

Subject: Framework Laptop Chromebook Edition compatible SSDs

Description: Hello. Nirav Patel wrote in the community that ChromeOS has a specific SSD compatibility list that, as of October 2022, did not include SN750, SN770, or SN850 drives, but did include SN730. Has there been any additional information on this? Perhaps there is information on the compatibility of ChromeOS with SN350, SN550, SN570 or SN700 drives? I’m asking this question because SN730 has a maximum capacity of 1TB and I want to install 2TB or 4TB.

Hi Alexander,

Thank you for contacting Framework Support. We are here to assist.

Currently, our Chromebook Framework Laptop supports 256 GB and can be upgraded up to 1TB of storage to extend your space.
We understand that you would like to see a Chromebook Framework Laptop with upgraded storage up to 4TB.

For now, these are not available. While we cannot promise or speculate on the possibility of including these in future iterations of our product, we appreciate your suggestion and will pass these along to the appropriate department.

For more about our plans & products, please sign up for our newsletter: Framework | News

We hope this helps. For other questions or inquiries don’t hesitate to contact us.

Thank you and have a great day!
Regards,
Framework Support

Several large virtual machines that run faster from an internal drive than from an external one.

In conclusion: Has anyone tried installing an SSD larger than 1TB in a Chromebook Edition?

When I received my Framework Chromebook I installed a 2tb nvme drive into it as well as 64gb of ram and it worked. Booted and ran everything just fine. I can’t say if it had any issues beyond that because I did not have the Framework Chromebook for very long before I sent it back. I was not impressed with the battery life. The nvme drive that I used was a WD BLACK 2TB SN850X. The ram used was TEAMGROUP Elite DDR4 64GB Kit (2 x 32GB) 3200MHz.

I apologize for posting this so long after the original question but I hope this helps anyone looking to purchase a Framework Chromebook.

3 Likes

Wait you can run vms on cromeos now? Damn it really has been a long time since I tried cromeos.

Installed WD Black SN850X 4 TB (WDS400T2X0E) on my Framework Chromebook. I’ve been using it for a month and a half now. Everything is fine. The only point, probably due to which the use of such disks is not officially recommended, is the excessive reserved space for the OS. Apparently this is a legacy of the times when disks in Chromebooks were of small sizes. If you are happy with the situation where a quarter of the disk will be idle for technical reasons, then you can take it.