Will you be moving to the Framework Laptop 16?

Sure, but still way cheaper. You have to think that the cheaper egpu covers also do not include the psu.

There’s an even cheaper option? Do you have a link? The cheapest thunderbolt to usb-c adabters I know of are slightly over 100$ so 30$ would be a major jump.

I did build a minimum cost setup to see if I could a while ago, 130$ for a TH3P4G3, 17$ for a used 750w hp server psu, 125 for a used rx5700xt and some cables I had laying around. That is still allmost 300 bucks and took some skills not everyone has but if you replaced the cheap and compact (that was one of my primary reason for going with that) with a cheap atx power supply it could be done quite easily.

But generally egpus are still a bit of a tinkerers tool, they work quite well in a lot of cases but far from in all of them.

Last Nov / Black Friday, we had the Razer Core X for CAD $110:

Grabbed that, and stuffed an ancient GTX 960 into it (it was just sitting in the corner gathering dust).

1 Like

Now that’s a deal, I was going for more compact but damn 110 for a complete egpu box is a pretty sweet deal.

Lately I have used my egpu setup more for testing pcie devices than actual egpu stuff because I travel less. It’s really practical if you just quickly have to see if that pcie ssd still works or that 10gbit network card works or whatever, don’t even need to reboot anything to do it.

1 Like

Still regretting not going for that deal to use my 2070 with my FL13 when im away from my desktop

I didn’t buy the Framework 13 because the monitor was lacking. After the announcement of the 165Hz monitor, I will be pre-ordering the Framework 16.

I’ve been using a Macbook Air M1 for the past year. While I like this machine, I’ve realized that the 13" display is simply too small for me. I guess my eyes are getting somewhat bad and the screen real estate is also lacking. Thankfully I’ve stumbled upon Framework, which I find such an awesome project. I love the sustainable, environmentally friendly, modular approach. While I hate to switch to another machine after just a year, I’m still planning to preorder the 16" machine, and hopefully keep it for a long time – and I’m also really hoping that a decently specced machine’s price will be closer to 2000€ than to 3000€…