Windows 11 can't reboot + Linux random lockups

Hello -

I received my Framework Intel 12th Gen DIY laptop a week ago and for the most part it’s been OK. Build process was easy and I’m a full-time Linux user so got that setup without issues, despite needing a few hacks to get everything working. I use Arch (and yes I know that’s a meme, but there’s no other way to say it). The topic linked in one of my points below is an almost identical build to mine, but different Linux distro.

I also ordered the 250GB storage expansion with plans to install Windows 11 on it; I need Windows for a single app I regularly use. Issues I have observed/need help with:

• During installation, Windows 11 says it can’t be installed on a USB device. What’s the point in advertising the storage expansion cards as suitable for an additional OS if standard procedures don’t work?
  • After using Rufus and installing Windows 11 in To Go mode, Windows 11 boots as normal but won’t reboot successfully. The screen goes black then nothing happens, ever. The only thing I can do is hard-reset the machine by holding the power button down until it turns off. This is identical to and partially covered by this topic: Windows 11 Won't Reboot but can Shutdown - #3 by JP_Powers
  • I’m getting occasional complete system lock-ups, regardless of the OS in use. They’re seldom enough that I’m not particularly bothered but this shouldn’t happen on a brand new machine.
  • Yes, I have removed and reinstalled/re-seated RAM and storage. Checked AX210 module, connection is fine.
  • Yes, I have installed the Intel 12th Gen driver package.
  • With the Windows 11 storage expansion device installed, the AX210 adaptor won’t work in Linux. Note I said “won’t work”, not “isn’t detected”. “lspci” thinks it is there but it can’t be used i.e. GNOME doesn’t see the adaptor. I haven’t solved this yet.
  • Removing the Windows 11 storage expansion device allows the AX210 adaptor to be detected and work fine in Linux. Makes no sense.

So far I would rate the Framework Laptop experience an 8/10 at best. Good hardware, looks cool, performance is acceptable, modular approach is fantastic (main reason for buying it) but the issues above are generally frustrating enough that I still rate my current Lenovo Gen9 X1 Carbon as a better experience.

1 Like

Hello!

Because other operating systems have no issues? Even Windows works with some workarounds, so I dont see how your point is valid.

Could be a faulty RAM and/or NVME. I had the same caused by faulty hardware.

Could be a lot of things. If Linux is also affected, maybe a faulty motherboard.

If not, a broken Windows install, missing drivers, bad configuration etc. Could be at fault.

So you have a portable windows setup on your lenovo carbon? Else you compare apples with oranges.

Yes, the Framework laptop has a few early adapter issues. But most are not caused by the Framework design or firmware.

Because other operating systems have no issues? Even Windows works with some workarounds, so I dont see how your point is valid.

I never said they don’t. In fact, I specifically said I had to apply a few hacks to my Linux install to get everything working (screen brightness buttons and ambient light sensor, both of which are documented “hacks” on the Arch Linux Framework Wiki).

Could be a lot of things. If Linux is also affected, maybe a faulty motherboard. If not, a broken Windows install, missing drivers, bad configuration etc. Could be at fault.

As the original post says, this is a Windows only issue and I linked to another post that describes the exact same issue happening to someone else. Broken Windows install? The install is brand new and the other post describes the exact same thing. The original post also says I installed the driver package as per the Framework instructions. Missing drivers are not the issue unless the driver package is bad. Bad configuration? Again, it is a brand new install.

So you have a portable windows setup on your lenovo carbon? Else you compare apples with oranges. Yes, the Framework laptop has a few early adapter issues. But most are not caused by the Framework design or firmware.

Yes, I do. Windows reboots perfectly in that install so suggesting it’s not a Framework issue is just shoving your head in the sand. Again, I linked to another post with an identical configuration to mine that has the same exact issue.

Also, I said a better experience, not a better product. There is a difference between better experience and better product so I don’t see how your early adopter comment is valid, especially when the product costs the same or more than a mature product. But I did pay for it it is pretty clear I’m willing to expect some teething issues. That doesn’t mean I have to like those issues. That said, experience is everything during the early adopter stage.

Hi
Yes I have one Solar Control app that requires Windows and windows is fine for browsing too.

Although I have the 11th Gen, it was so easy putting Win on the NVMe and Ubuntu on the expansion card :slight_smile:

As posted elsewhere, Windows installs on external storage, such as our Storage Expansion Cards, is not officially supported by either Framework, or Microsoft. While Community members have worked around this, and we encourage our Community to continue to work with each other should this be a hard-stop requirement for them, we have to put the disclaimer out there that this will likely result in problems, and Framework Support, unfortunately, will be unable to assist should issues happen in this specific scenario.

3 Likes

we have to put the disclaimer out there

@TheTwistgibber It should already be out there. On the expansion storage device’s product page at minimum. I’m not saying the Framework laptop is bad or that the expansion storage device itself is bad or that I’m unhappy with the laptop itself, but if running an OS on those devices isn’t officially supported it should be very clearly stated on the product page so buyers can make their buying decision based on that point, if it’s a hard-stop like you said. If it was stated there, I would not have bought the expansion storage and would’ve just partitioned the NVMe device.

Microsoft does not support Windows installs on external/removable drives (“Windows to Go” was discontinued). We don’t support it because Microsoft themselves don’t support it, and it’s a poor experience. If you are within the 30 day return window, please contact Support and we can offer a return for refund for the Storage Expansion Card.

If you decide to install Windows on the Expansion Card anyway, our disclaimer is that it’s not recommended or officially supported.

2 Likes