10Gb SFP+ expansion card

A 10Gb SFP+ expansion card would be very nice and would make the framework laptop the first to get a 10Gb ethernet.
Why SFP+ ? Because you can insert an optical or a copper module.
The case of the expansion card should be made of metal and not plastic as 10Gb SFP+ cages usually become hot.
If it is not possible, then at least a 5 or 10Gb/s copper ethernet card instead of the 2.5Gb/s card would be awesome.

3 Likes

An SFP/SFP+ module is 8.5mm high, 13.4mm wide, and 56.5mm deep; in addition to being deeper than an expansion card, it is comparable in height to the entire lower case. This is only considering the module, not the socket. Looking only at module size, it may be vaguely possible to have an expansion card that both has the module extend quite a ways out the side, and underneath. But the only (TB3) SFP+ adapter I was able to find was relatively large.

2 Likes

well for now I only know of one other solution witch is not nice in a lot of ways:
if you buy a case for external GPUs, witch can connect via USB4/Thunderbolt and instead of inserting one, use an PCIe-SFP+ card.

so even it it sticks out a bit like the Ethernet adapter ā€¦ it would still be much better.

1 Like

if it was angled so the SFP+ was facing the back of the laptop, and possibly connected to two USB-C expansion ports you might be able to accommodate the size without adding too much volume. Also, I saw a few other places where people are considering using the additional height of the laptop feet to add a few more millimeters to the expansion card height.

If you offered SFP+ and a passthrough USB-C, Ethernet, or other sort of ā€˜mini-dockā€™ sort of features it might be compelling to give up two expansion ports.

What new Expansion Card types do you want to see released? - #261 by Keith_J_Brett?

Maybe, instead of a SFP+, just have an adapter with a single bidi 10G single mode fibre connection. I cannot see anyone needing anything different from a laptop. A single fibre would be smaller than a RJ45 connector. With G.657.A2 fibre cable, it will be as durable and bendy as a cat5 cable. Single mode fibre is more bendy and durable than multi-mode fibre.

1 Like

Good idea, this would be fantastic.

I mean, I have OM4 LC everywhere already, so thatā€™s what I would ā€œneedā€. As for bendiness, the fibre core has the same minimum bend radius on both IIRC, itā€™s really the jacket that limits you with multimode. Iā€™ve got 20mm min radius here, and since it was fairly cheap, I assume you can buy something bendier if you need it for something.

Multi-mode vs Single-mode
Multi-mode used to be cheaper, but now days single mode is the same or even cheaper. For example multi-mode cable prices are now about 2x single mode cables, with the transceivers about the same price now.
As single mode is more future proof, can handle higher speeds, i would recommend using single mode fibre for new installs, even for short distances.
In general bend radius of multi-mode fibre tends to be 10x cable diameter, and single mode tends to be 5x cable diameter, although OS2 G.657 A1/A2/B1/B2 vary this.
Of course, if you already have multi-mode fibre, then maybe two expansion card options are needed. One for Single-mode, one for multi-mode.

Thinking about it more, and given the heat from a lot of modules (especially copper), I would still go with the Sonnet SOLO10G SFP+ box over an expansion card.

Iā€™m a lot more comfortable leaving the Sonnet connected and plugging/unplugging the USB connector than running crazy mating cycles on an LC connector and ā€œnever losingā€ the caps. With SFP, I can leave the fibre on the module, but if the laptop had an LC, it would just be a a matter of cycles until the connector broke.

Regarding LC connector mating cycles. One can get metal LC connectors that are much more durable than the plastic ones.
I agree that the keeping it clean is more of a problem.

If expansion card is not an option due to size constraints, what about using the expansion bay instead?