11th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.10 Release

As a follow-up regarding the USB-C port issue, in case anybody runs into what I did, I powered it on a few hours later and the main USB-C port I use to charge flashed green then orange immediately and everything seems to be working fine now. This was post 3 restarts after the 03.10 BIO was installed, so not entirely sure but happy I don’t have to troubleshoot or downgrade.

I’m getting this error when trying to run this executable in W11 on the new 12th gen Framework. Any ideas?

EDIT

I just realized this bios is probably only for 11th gen, because that would totally make sense.

I have a second partition with Fedora. Fedora always wins.

@Joseph_Iacobbo This thread is for 11th Gen only. Latest BIOS for 12th gen is 3.04.

1 Like

Tried to update my BIOS from 3.07, but now my laptop is stuck at a black screen, holding the power button doesn’t turn it off, fans are running and have it propped up waiting for the battery to die. It was at a full charge so any advice in the meantime would be nice.

Edit - Died, put it on the charger and it starts up fine. May have had something to do with the eGPU dock I was plugged into at the time.

100% was. Glad you were able to resolve it.

I also had issues upgrading from 3.07 to 3.09 and 3.10. Solved now, so this is purely informational:

I have a dual boot setup with Win11 and Debian. Both Linux and Windows with full disk encryption. I tried fwupdmgr, USB Boot Stick and finally Windows updater.

I set the charge limit up to 100 before trying, battery was charged ca. 90%, USB PD supply was connected, no other peripherals.

All methods failed for 3.09, so I skipped it and re-tried update from 3.07 to 3.10, which finally was successful:

• fwupdmgr has recommended settings and 65MB free disk space on EFI partition. It seems to run fine, asks for reboot, but during/after reboot nothing happens, still stuck with 3.07. Happened for both 3.09 and 3.10.
  • USB updater simply says “Update BIOS failed” without further explanation for both 3.09 and 3.10.
  • Windows updater said for 3.09 “The BIOS update is invalid for Secure Flas or onboard BIOS does not support Secure Flash” and bailed out. For 3.10, it finally managed to apply the firmware update.
2 Likes

Updated: Win11 on NVMe and Ubuntu 22.04 on expansion card.

• Didn’t have to reset Boot Order by unchecking Windows this time.
  • Did have to reset Power Button Brightness and Battery Charge limit
  • Did reset Boot Priority to First from Auto which wasn’t necessary as it booted to GRUB2

What also worked for me with a similar issue after updating to 3.09:

Disconnect the battery in the Bios, connect the cable on one of the left side ports of the laptop and power it on, repeat that on the right side.
Someone recommended this method in the 3.09 thread and it worked for me

1 Like

Update form 3.07 → 3.10 went smoothly with LVFS. However, since updating my laptop will randomly crash, showing a black screen. Sometimes I see a list of boot initializers where things look to be initializing (but never finish) and other times, “initializing ramdisk” (also never completes.

On LTS kernel, this was happening every hour or two. Since moving back to zen, it has happened 3 x today.

I’m on Garuda Linux and up to date. The good news is that I have not experienced any data loss, probably because Garuda does snapshots. I’m considering downgrading to 3.07 again.

Any ideas?

Updated mine from 3.02 to 3.10 via LVFS in Fedora 36 and worked swimmingly. Glad to see the process was so smooth.

3 Likes

Thank you, I have updated.
Is there a way to receive notifications about driver and BIOS updates from Framework? e.g. by email.
Thank you

4 Likes

I have problems charging the Laptop while on. Update through fwupd.
PD isn’t even negotiated (checked on the charger side not laptop). Tested a few different charger.

BIOS Information
        Vendor: INSYDE Corp.
        Version: 03.10
        Release Date: 07/19/2022
        Address: 0xE0000
        Runtime Size: 128 kB
        ROM Size: 12 MB
        Characteristics:
                PCI is supported
                BIOS is upgradeable
                BIOS shadowing is allowed
                Boot from CD is supported
                Selectable boot is supported
                8042 keyboard services are supported (int 9h)
                CGA/mono video services are supported (int 10h)
                ACPI is supported
                USB legacy is supported
                BIOS boot specification is supported
                Targeted content distribution is supported
                UEFI is supported
        BIOS Revision: 3.16
Version: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz

Just upgraded from 3.07 on 11th gen from Ubuntu LTS 22.04 through fwupdmgr. I did set the DisableCapsuleUpdateOnDisk=true . As far as I can tell, the BIOS update was successful. Didn’t see any weird screens or anything during the process and it rebooted back into Ubuntu. However, when I went to check if it worked …

$ sudo dmidecode -s bios-version
$ sudo fwupdmgr get-results
[snip]
System Firmware:
  Device ID:            a45df35ac0e948ee180fe216a5f703f32dda163f
  Previous version:     0.0.3.7
  Update State:         Failed
  Update Error:         boot entry missing: no 'Linux Firmware Updater' entry found
  Last modified:        2022-08-02 15:52
  GUID:                 b3bdb2e4-c5cb-5c1b-bdc3-e6fc132462ff
  Device Flags:         • Internal device
                        • Updatable
                        • System requires external power source
                        • Needs a reboot after installation
                        • Reported to remote server
                        • Cryptographic hash verification is available
                        • Device is usable for the duration of the update

Um. Is that error an actual error?

Edit: Update. Laptop finally reached 100% on charging and is now saying “Discharging (100%), remaining 27 hour(s) and 25 minute(s)” . Looks like I might have the same issue as Thomas_Schneider :frowning: Disconnecting and letting it drain before reconnecting didn’t do anything… At least it is charging though…

Edit #2: Complete power off and back on seems to have worked on my battery issue. Whew! :relieved: But did nothing about the message of a failed install.

After a successful update to 3.10 I get the same error message from fwupdmgr. But I think it can be completely ignored, because this boot entry is only useful for the first reboot after the firmware update program has been installed in the EFI partition. With this entry the program will start and flash the new firmware. After this process the ‘Linux Firmware Updater’ together with all your OS boot entries are gone.

Looking at the BIOS and Drivers Releases page

Looks like 3.10 is now out of beta (since a few days ago).

Can we have this thread’s title updated with non-beta wording (e.g. Release, GA…)…or a note or two regarding the status / maturity promotion?

Next, what’s currently in the pipeline to be fixed in 3.11?

5 Likes

Good catch!
Now it seems that this thread title is “11th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.10 Release” without “Beta”.

1 Like

Can a mod go ahead and pin this thread?

Ideally, each latest BIOS release thread should be pinned (and with the previous thread unpinned). Until we have some kind of a BIOS Release notification solution…

Or, how does one get a perma-link to the BIOS & Drivers Release page?

1 Like

I updated from 3.07 to 3.10 a few days ago using LFVS. Running only Ubuntu 22.04.

This morning I went to turn on my laptop, the power button turns on, but the screen doesn’t light up or show anything.

I usually use a portable monitor with my laptop, plugging that in doesn’t result in any posting there.

My only thought at this point would be to check the display connections, but I did not drop or jar my laptop from when it was working on the table last night versus this morning. Any thoughts?