11th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.20 Release and Driver Bundle Update

When installing this update I noticed that since at least 3.19 (my previous firmware) there is no “F2 to enter BIOS” message on the Framework splash screen at power up. I tried with BIOS defaults and the boot timeout value in the BIOS set to > 0 (was this always set to 0 by default?).

Otherwise the EFI update appears to have worked well (not sure how to confirm the PD and EC versions were updated). I would prefer to see what is actually happening rather just than a progress bar if that is an option in the future.

Thanks

Never saw such an option :thinking:

I felt fairly sure it was there before but could be mistaken.

If I’m mistaken I would like to request this information be available to the user on the splash screen so nobody needs to remember or look up what key is needed.

I think the info is in the manual and also F2 is very common, so it’s a likely ‘try’. Also by time the flash screen pops up, The Framework logo ?/ it’s too late to enter the BIOS.

Update:

Just tried the F2 when the flash-screen pops up but it seems to late, but that may be down to me having a dual boot with Ubuntu and invoking the GRUB menu, which anyway has an option for the BIOS

Also this is of interest

I just upgraded 11th Gen from 3.17 to 3.20 yesterday. First 2 reboots were successful (after reinstalling uefi entries), now I am stuck in a power cycle loop: pressing power button, button led lights up & fan spins for a few minutes, screen stays completely black (both hdmi and internal), led will eventuelly turn off and the process repeats after few seconds. Does anyone have an idea how I could fix this issue? Thank you!

Hi Did you update both the driver bundle and the BIOS and in which order?

When you say reinstalling uefi entries, do you mean you just altered values in the BIOS for booting etc.?

You may like to try a mainboard reset to put the BIOS back to default.

and

How is your CMOS|RTC battery ?

I only upgraded the BIOS as I use Linux.

Yes, only settings for uefi boot. Apparently, I lost them during the upgrade. I fixed it by booting to grub with a live system, manually setting grub command line args for internal disk, booting to system and reinstalling grub (the grub reinstall command also readded the missing boot settings). Then I rebooted and everything looked ok.

I do not know the status/health of the RTC battery.

Thanks, I’ll check how I can reset the motherboard

1 Like

Just curious: Did you try to get to the BIOS via F2 during this time? and|or by ‘black’ you mean there was no indication of even a back-light to the screen ?? black or blank ??

I think you are right that it was never there to begin with and of course we agree that the information is available online however my suggestion was to put the information where I see it as being most relevant, at the time when it would be potentially used.

I personally have no need for this either but thanks for sharing the link others might have use for it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I still wonder if F2 still works once the ‘Framework logo’ splash screen appears, as I have to F2 before that.

No indication/text/logo, only the button led lights up and the fan spins. As far as I can tell during daytime, the backlight does not turn on (or is very dim). F2 does not have any visible effect.

Edit: The charging led on both sides just lid up green.

1 Like

With a boot device timeout > 0s you are able to enter BIOS during the splash, I just confirmed this with a 1s timeout but with the default 0s it is as you said.

1 Like

OK! So a Splash Screen official mod or a hack could be useful :slight_smile:

EDIT:
Maybe Framework are worried that too many users will Press F2 and mess with the BIOS and then be asking for support to help with subsequent issues.

I think so.

Maybe but that seems out of line with their ethos.

I’ll leave it there as I don’t want to derail the topic of the updates themselves :slight_smile:

1 Like

@amoun @Usernames the BIOS update clears the boot wait timeout to zero, along with the battery charge limit. F2 is still possible but you have to be “aggressive” pressing it frequently even before the FW logo appears. Once you manage to get into the BIOS screen(s) (might take a few attempts) you can change that timeout (plus, if applicable, battery charge limit and secure boot enforcement) to make things easier going forward. I’ve made a habit of setting it to 3 seconds.

Hi Thanks for your input.

Yes I do the tap reaptedly as soon as I power on. It takes 8 seconds before I get the 'LOGO so I probably tap 40 times :slight_smile:

and yes Usernames has clarified the 0 timeout.

Apart from the battery charge limit, the Power Light has to be reset and the Boot order.

All the best

2 Likes

@amoun, thank you so much! Following the guide at Fully Resetting the Mainboard State - Framework Guides fixed it. So the firmware upgrade was just a coincidence. Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi have just noticed this when waking from sleep but not when using from boot.

Ubuntu 24.04 > Closed lid > Opened a couple of hours or so later and battery indicator flashing between charging and not. LED white

Edit: It seems it may only happen after a prolonged ‘sleep’ my last single hour didn’t provoke it ??

If you can’t boot into the BIOS using F2 and you’re using Ubuntu, you can reboot into the BIOS using the terminal by entering: sudo systemctl reboot --firmware-setup

3 Likes

And for Windows

Open terminal with Admin privaleges

shutdown /r /fw

Works on my Win11

Dual boot with Ubuntu 24.04