11th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.20 Release and Driver Bundle Update

Which distro are you using?

Debian Testing, but I don’t think it matters, the problem seems to lie on the firmware level, not the kernel

Did you already create a bug report for this issue?

No, I’m not actually sure how to do that. I was assuming Framework monitors this thread (they moved my initial report to this one), and are aware of this issue. I might be wrong though, where can I file a bug report? Just sending a message to support?

1 Like

Regarding “Please Note: After updating to 3.20, you will not be able to downgrade to an earlier version.”

Why this restriction? It seems to go against Framework’s philosophy of giving choice & control to the user, and it takes away a useful troubleshooting/recovery option for those who have issues.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I wouldn’t see it as a restriction rather more a warning.

Frameworks’s philosophy is probably not as simple as you would imagine, they have many things to consider.

Business is a game of ethics so then philosophy can only help guide, not demand or control how a business evolves.

Philosophy is more a person’s way of seeing the world, ethics is more how to act in the best interest of those things a person, or in this case a business, holds important for survival.

Still there must be a reason and yes maybe your topic will provoke an answer. Let’s hope the answer makes sense and therein an acceptable reason for both Framework and the users.

By the way are you concerned about doing an update and something going wrong and not being able to undo - that does make sense?

Have you done the update yet?

Thanks for the report! We will update our release notes.
As a note S3 is not officially supported by intel on 11th Gen and beyond.

1 Like

Yes, I am concerned about doing an update and something going wrong and not being able to undo.

I also think that Framework should say why downgrades are blocked, and not just warn that they are.

That’s a whole different issue ‘should’ I see no reason to say they are obliged to do so.

But yes it would be ‘nice’ to know.

Hi all, having a, “Am I being really stupid?” moment…

Got the notification that BIOS version 3.20 is available for my machine - hooray!

I’m running Ubuntu 24.04, so going to use the EFI updater.
I download the file from this link here:
https://downloads.frame.work/bios/Framework_Laptop_13_11th_Gen_Intel_Core_BIOS_3.20_EFI.zip
extract it a USB pen drive,
Reboot, disable Secure Boot
Reboot and boot from USB drive.

At first, shows updating correctly - hooray!
I reboot again after the update, and then go in to the BIOS to re-enable Secure Boot
I notice that the BIOS shows version is still/only 3.17 (now due to this situation I’m not sure what version it was previously…)

VERY STRANGE…

So I go back to the webpage, download the file again to be 200% sure I’m getting the right file, repeat the process all over again, except this time it will not update, saying “Cannot update to the same version as already installed”

But after I boot back into Ubuntu and check the BIOS version again, it is still showing 3.17 !!!

Anyone else had this issue?
Is it possible that a mistake has been made with packaging the wrong firmware file into the EFI ZIP package??

Here is the output of dmidecode:

Vendor: INSYDE Corp.
Version: 03.17
Release Date: 10/27/2022
Address: 0xE0000
product: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz
vendor: Intel Corp.
physical id: 4
bus info: cpu@0
version: 6.140.1

Thoughts…?

Can you try upgrading to 3.19 first to see if you are having the same issue?

Check this…and the next few messages after that. It’s a ‘seen’/known issue that somehow still exist:

Evening again,
Cracked it! Reading the posts you linked @Second_Coming, especially about updating the bare motherboard configs, made me think “I wonder if I need to have the power connected?” Apologies if I’ve just plain missed this in the main instructions, but I don’t remember reading it. Anyhow, yesterday I was trying without AC power connected. Today I tried with AC power connected, and also on the LH side of the laptop (usually I have it on the right) - this was from a comment made on the bare motherboard thread which stated the AC needs to be connected on the LH side…
When I did this, I tried to execute the update from the USB again - it told me once again that it couldn’t update to the same version, HOWEVER, when it re-booted it on the initial splash screen it showed the green progress bar which I didn’t get previously, and took 5-10 mins to complete the update. Then when finally booted up again, now shows BIOS version 3.20.
Apologies for changing 2 variables in one try, but it was either having the AC power connected, or having it connected AND on the LH side of the laptop.

2 Likes

Ha! it is in the initial post :slight_smile:

@amoun I’m not using the Windows update so I didn’t read those instructions. I’m using Ubuntu so only read the section on the EFI updater. I re-read those this morning, and there isn’t a mention of any need to have AC power connected - perhaps that should be added @Destroya ?

2 Likes

Hi! I’m finally updating my BIOS to the latest version but getting an error. Here’s what I’m doing:

1. I downloaded the files [here] (Framework Laptop BIOS and Driver Releases (11th Gen Intel® Core™)) to a USB then unmount and reboot from the USB by pressing F12. I select the USB option from the menu.
  2. It starts to run the setup script but very quickly crashes with this message: “Security issue on line 1” …(or 11 - can’t recall).
  3. I type “exit” to get out of the terminal and reboot my machine and go to the internet for help.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Another possibly relevant information: I recently updated from Ubuntu 22->24 and found that I was having issues with my WiFi no longer working, which is what prompted me to get around to installing framework updates because I was thinking there may be an issue with my driver. I’m doing this all on ethernet.

Please help!!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

So what did you download ? Your link is to a page. From what I see you ‘should’ have downloaded
https://downloads.frame.work/bios/Framework_Laptop_13_11th_Gen_Intel_Core_BIOS_3.20_EFI.zip

As far as drivers are concerned

They are not provided by Framework so what did you do on that front? The page you linked to clearly states that drivers are part of the OS kernel

This is the main topic for the 3.20 BIOS update etc.

It looks like you have Secure Boot enabled; it must be disabled for the EFI updater to work. (This was mentioned in instructions for previous updates, for example 3.17, not sure why it was not mentioned in the latest instructions.)

1 Like

I noticed that the battery icon is showing a lightning bolt but is “using battery power” when I moused over it. UPower status shows “pending-charge”:

native-path: BAT1
vendor: NVT
model: Framewo
serial: 0177
power supply: yes
updated: Fri 26 Jul 2024 10:26:29 PM (6 seconds ago)
has history: yes
has statistics: yes
battery
present: yes
rechargeable: yes
state: pending-charge
warning-level: none
energy: 53.0222 Wh
energy-empty: 0 Wh
energy-full: 53.0376 Wh
energy-full-design: 55.0088 Wh
energy-rate: 0 W
voltage: 17.517 V
charge-cycles: 13
percentage: 99%
capacity: 96.4166%
technology: lithium-ion
icon-name: ‘battery-full-charging-symbolic’
History (rate):
1722029189 0.000 pending-charge

Had been having many problems since new (11th Gen Intel) with battery not charging, CMOS battery dying, and not powering on unless the main battery is disconnected, even needed to replace the main battery on support’s recommendation (but problems remained).

I updated BIOS from 3.06 to 3.17, then 3.20 today and all seemed normal until I check battery status. Concerned that I may be repeating previous sagas with dead battery, not charging and not powering on with connected battery (making this a desktop).

Any advice would be appreciated.

So you have an ‘older’ 11th Gen but is this a recent purchase as I note you only just updated from 3.06, which I did two years ago.

I see you have a new main battery but what about the RTC/CMOS battery, the ML1220 you don’t mention any change to that.

The ML1220 may well be dying, it requires at least 6hours charging a week or 1 hour a day. If left for a few weeks it will degrade rapidly.

Further you don’t say which OS you are using and there has been a similar on/off charging icon when using Ubuntu 24.04 on my dual boot with Windows but not when using windows.

That Ubuntu issue has been mentioned earlier in this topic, you may like to search and find that.

Yes, an older one and have had it from new, but it became unusable for a long time after power on and battery not charging problems. Running Mint but was on MX initially.

Kept on resetting the board at first, changed the ML1220 at least twice and eventually resetting did not work any more. Main battery was then ordered (support diagnosed that) but as I had relocated, I had to wait for months before I could return to fetch the new battery…

So, only managed to persuade the device to charge and run on the new battery recently by some “black magic” trial and error of procedures. And finally, BIOS got and update.

However, I am getting a few hints/reminders of symptoms that make me worry. For example, when I plug in the power, the bolt deos not appear and it still runs on battery until I reboot. And there is that charge-pending status.

Read that Windows does not have these issues, but I am not eager to run that and far prefer Linux especially vs 11.

1 Like

Just wondering ~ do you use sleep or anything other than a full power off?

I now do full power off and not use suspend out of caution

1 Like