11th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.20 Release and Driver Bundle Update

Since updating, my Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 adapter has ceased functioning and that’s how I connect to my LG 34UM95 display + keyboard & mouse.

It’s been working fine for since I got my FW13 almost 3 years ago, and suddenly it doesn’t even seem to be detected – no messages in kernel logs, no display when I boot, nothing…

I’ve been searching around but I can’t find any other reports, is it possible this is unrelated? The adapter and monitor both work fine with my other laptops, and I’ve tried just plugging in a TB2 network interface but that also gives no sign of life on my FW13.

When in doubt, mainboard reset…the Framework way.

https://community.frame.work/search?q=port%20not%20working

F3 worked.
The rest will be done and I report. update-grub did not work.
I search for the commands the Installer CD uses.

1 Like

Yeah, it pays to stick with known brands. My favourite is Sandisk.

I’ve had problems recently with Kingston and Verbatim drives. Trust nothing. Checksum everything.

1 Like

I just updated my 13" 11th gen Intel Framework to 3.20. Everything works fine EXCEPT for any USB device. My USB Drive, Dock, the external monitors on that dock, my keyboard and mouse on my KVM don’t work. They don’t work on my Fedora 40 install and my Windows 11 install. On my windows 11 install, it says that there is a power surge on my USB device when I plug something in.

I’ve attempted to downgrade my bios using fwupdmgr downgrade, and it returns

Selected device: UEFI dbx
No downgrades for UEFI dbx: current version is 371: 371=same

I just checked the BIOS version using sudo dnf install lshw dmidecode -y && sudo dmidecode | grep -A3 'Vendor:\|Product:' && sudo lshw -C cpu | grep -A3 'product:\|vendor:' and it said that I’m on 3.10, when I’m entirely sure the version I installed was 3.20.

Thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome to the forum

Please read all the detail in this official topic.

• You can not got back to 3.19
  • Try a complete reset of the main board.

etc.

thanks, i tried that twice (second time was just to make sure it wasn’t my fault that it wasn’t fixed the first time), but to no avail :frowning:

i’m using the adapter with another laptop fine, and on that laptop it works to connect to the monitor; i can’t get the FW13 to recognize the monitor, during boot or inside the OS (Linux, in my case), and i’ve also tried connecting an old thunderbolt ethernet interface via the adapter, also to no avail.

in case it’s worth anything, the closest i can come to getting any recognition on the FW13 side is this message in the kernel’s ring buffer:

thunderbolt 0000:00:0d.2: can't suspend (nhi_runtime_suspend [thunderbolt] returned -110)

Hello everybody,

Since I upgraded to BIOS 3.20, I have really big booting problems.
The laptop often gets stuck to the Framework logo for a very long time (several minutes, more than 10 minutes), then some text shows up to the screen. After that, it reboots again and same circle.

I have made a video with my phone. How can I send it here?

This problem is a great handicap as I cannot use the laptop normally after I turn it on.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

• You haven’t said what OS you have.
  • As a new user you can’t yet send a video, though that may not be necessary yet as more info as mentioned may be better.
  • Have you tried a main-board reset yet, if not try that before ought else.

Once you’ve tried a few things then you could try uploading your video to an off site resource holder, like social media of Onebox etc. and then provide a link.

Hello,

I have contacted the Framework support at the same time.
First of all, let me be clearer (what I said, wasn’t). I have always been able to boot successfully, but it is very difficulty and very long until I manage to. So it’s a really big problem.

Before what you say, they told me to reset BIOS to default, that did not work.

Then I tried the full mainboard reset, as you both said. The first reboot was normal, then I tried a reboot a few hours later and… same problem. :unamused:

They told me to downgrade to BIOS version 3.19, but it won’t work. I guess the reason is this one : “Please Note: After updating to 3.20, you will not be able to downgrade to an earlier version.” (here : Framework Laptop BIOS and Driver Releases (11th Gen Intel® Core™)).

Now, I don’t know what to do. For the moment, I’ll write them the same informations and see what’s next.

Thank you.

Vincent

PS: BTW, here is the video.

1 Like

Hi sounds a bit ‘distressing’ why would they ask you to do what they said can’t be done? :thinking:

Someone is clearly not communicating with you well.

This sort of stuff is rather upsetting, well it would be for me, so I hope you get more reasonable advice soon.

Sorry I couldn’t help.

Take care

All the best

:wheel_of_dharma:

So as a mainboard standalone user, as best I can tell BIOS 3.20 breaks all external display output. The framework still boots fine, but output over USB-C to HDMI, DisplayPort, anything doesn’t work. The system sees it but doesn’t actually output. I’ve only been able to get back in via major wrangling to turn on RDP blindly :sweat_smile: .

Does anyone actually have external displays working or is this broken for everyone?

Brian, check if your system is actually working but won’t output to any external display (See if keyboard CAPS LOCK works / networking, RDP etc). Mine is in this state. It’s very disappointing if this has slipped through testing because it was never tested without an internal display attached :frowning:

Hi @RENE-CORAIL_Vincent
I took a look at your video, and it looks like your boot is getting stuck on a kernel hang after upgrading to 3.20.
Could you start by sharing your distribution and kernel version you are running on your laptop?

This looks like you are getting through the bios and booting into linux, and getting stuck somewhere in the Linux boot process. Lets start there.

I am following up with the incorrect instructions the customer support agent told you with regard to downgrading to 3.19.

1 Like

Quick update: I thought I had nothing to lose, so I tried reflashing the update from Windows again. Now output over DisplayPort and HDMI seems to be working, but ONLY from the ports on the right of the mainboard? I briefly saw a INSIDEH2O update screen on reboot that seemed to want to flash (the EC?) but the update failed because no battery was connected (as expected - But I guess the low-level update was written with the assumption a battery would always be connected?). After the failure I can now use any display output reliably, but only on the RIGHT ports, which is better than nothing. All very weird. I’ll investigate further tomorrow.

1 Like

Mainboard in a CoolerMaster case and having the same issue as others. Stuck on 3.17 and it wont let me flash to either 3.19 or 3.20 via UEFI. No errors and seems to reboot without issue, running Bluefin linux if that helps.

Oh as I do data recovery the tears of students with all their work on a 8GB USB2 stick their mum got from a conference 8 years ago sustain me.

That and Mac users losing connectivity with their external USB HDDs…ahhh bliss.

Always buy quality data storage products folks! Just a friendly reminder!

3 Likes

Final update: I’ve fixed everything! I think the steps that resolved everything for me from the initial broken state were as follows:

1. Initial broken state - After updating BIOS from the windows utility, no display output on any adapter, however Framework is still booting about 50% of the time, just with no display output. To get back in, I pulled up another Windows computer for comparison and then ‘blind-typed’ my way around to use Windows Quick Assist to view and control the display
  2. I re-ran the BIOS update again, even though it said I was already updated. After this, the ports on one side of the mainboard started giving me display output
  3. I swapped the power of the mainboard to the other side and then re-ran the BIOS update for the third time, even though it still said I was updated again.
  4. After this, now the mainboard boots in under ten seconds and display output is working from both sides of the board. After the initial time it flashed up, I haven’t seen the “BIOS update error” again.

Please note I also tried the troubleshooting steps for leaving the CMOS battery to charge and resetting the mainboard prior to step 2, although I don’t think this was related. Also, prior to step 2 I had a lot of instances of ‘stuck boots’ where even though I knew the mainboard should boot, just without display, it didn’t.

I hope this helps others fix their update and hopefully this was just some kind of unlucky issue that happened to me and not systemic with the update for standalone board users.

I’d be interested in knowing the technical reasons behind what might have happened from anyone at Framework, just out of curiosity - There’s two ECs updated differently on either side of the laptop, and if neither is updated (but the BIOS is) no video?

2 Likes

Posting this message to say how much I appreciate this BIOS update. It actually marks the 3-year anniversary for the 11th gen mainboard. It’s a major milestone for a startup for the following reason, IMO:

1. Framework has now proven they can support their first and oldest product longer than most other established ‘consumer’ laptops (lucky if you even get 24 months of BIOS updates). Entering into what’s typically considered as the enterprise support period / space.
  2. The BIOS update continue to get reviewed by software / firmware supply chain risk management firm Binarly. This alone, times 3 years so far, (to me) justifies / is worth the extra / premium cost of a Framework Laptop.

Not sure if this was mentioned / felt by anyone earlier in this thread. But I thought it’s worthy of a celebration, not just merely a BIOS release note.

Thank you, Framework.

7 Likes