11th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.20 Release and Driver Bundle Update

Hi @Kieran_Levin

I use the last version of Linux Mint (22), which is based on Ubuntu 24.04 => so current kernel is “6.8.0-40-generic”.

I have switched to Manjaro for the moment, until there is a solution, but is doesn’t work as expected. Here’s what to notice:

• I have used Timeshift to restore an install of Manjaro (the restore used to work as expected before)
  • I don’t know if there is a link between the two problem, but it doesn’t boot if I let it go normally (it is stuck to a grub menu).
  • if I want Manjaro to boot, I have to press F3 and navigate to the menu (I have tried this with Mint, but it didn’t help)

One question: why is there always a track of previous OS installs when you navigate to the BIOS menu (even if there is only one system installed)? Is that normal?
I was just wondering if there would be a link with this.

Thank you.

Vincent

PS: I can restore Linux Mint if some tests are needed.

Thank you @amoun

1 Like

This topic mentions the issue

1 Like

Ok, perfect. I’ll try as soon as I have some time. Thank you.

1 Like

Ok :sweat_smile:, I did not pay attention to this, I had only seen the one at the top of this page : “11th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.20 Release and Driver Bundle Update”.

1 Like

Hello,

This is kind of urgent…

I’m updating the bios on my laptop 13 intel 11th generation and it’s been stuck for 1h on :
Update PD2 progress: Completed

What am I supposed to do ?

Thanks

Ok I finally manually restarted the computer.

I’m able to boot on Linux.
But none of the 4 usb ports of the laptop are working. Neither charging nor connecting a peripheral like a mouse or a keyboard.

I just have 20min of battery left.

Well, I’m a little late, but you could try to reboot the embedded controller (EC):

• turn the laptop off (complete shutdown, no suspend, no hibernation)
  • plug out everything (power, other peripherals)
  • wait a couple of minutes
  • plug in power
  • turn the laptop on again
  • check if it starts charging (color of LED)
  • check if mouse, keyboard, etc work again

And, on an unaltered 11th gen., disconnect the RTC battery.

My subject was: 3.10 → 3.20, gets “Secure flash interface failed! / Interface return error code 0x02)”, before some kind soul moved my post here. My original FW13 with 11th gen Intel is unable to update from 3.10 to 3.20. Booted from a Windows 10 USB installer (with the bios update .exe on an SD Card) since my Windows 11 SD card stopped being recognized as bootable (dunno why, no message, but that’s Windows for ya). Do I need some particular intervening update first? Anybody know which one? Thx

1 Like

From searching that error it looks like you may need more space on your EFI partition.

1 Like

Thanks. I don’t have any hdd/sdd in the computer when booting from the USB with Windows 10 (which is mbr not uefi), so that seems like an unlikely issue. Where did you search for the error code? Thx

Found it here: BIOS update problems [SOLVED]

I don’t recall the inner workings of the windows bios updater, but I am wondering if it unpacks things into the EFI partition on the primary drive, then executes them from there on reboot? Absent an internal drive that obviously would not work. There have been a lot of threads around the BIOS updaters for various versions, perhaps there’s something in one of them that lays it out more clearly.

Best of luck getting your system updated.

1 Like

Seems you are on to something. When I plug in my (non-functional) Windows 11 SDD in an external case, but still boot from the Win10 USB installer, and run the Framework Bios Installer via Administrator cmd.com with the file on an SD card, it gets further! It takes the whole screen for the Insyde installer, but then stops with “Error: Invalid firmware image!!!” in a blue box. I’ve done sha256 of both copies of Framework_Laptop_13_11th_Gen_Intel_Core_BIOS_3.20.exe that I downloaded and the copy on the SD card, and they are all the same. So I’m having to put this off for a few days since I’m out of time. But helpful replies would still be gratefully received, esp. from the FW support team! Thanks.

1 Like

I don’t think that the windows version requires stepping from 3.10 → 3.17 → 3.19 → 3.20, but it might be worth trying. Maybe. Seems to add risk, but maybe you could try the first one from 3.10 → 3.17 and see if that works. Or possibly try a different USB or SD card. Good luck!

Hello @Kieran_Levin and @amoun,

Thank you again for your help. I have reinstalled Linux Mint from scratch and it’s working fine.

Vincent

2 Likes

Well, I found another Windows 11 disk and it booted fine and the installer worked. Case closed. Thanks for listening.

4 Likes

Thanks for the follow up, and glad to hear that it worked!

How do I verify if driver bundle did update just open system info and see ? I got some error fnram or something and press any key to continue on cmd prompt

You installed the Framework Driver bundle on the 11th Gen?

This one

https://downloads.frame.work/bios/Framework_Laptop_13_11th_Gen_Intel_Core_BIOS_3.20_EFI.zip

Oops! See next reply from me