11th Gen Laptop with weird wake up issues - Buyers beware

I have one framework that I use daily and another family machine that is used rarely. I keep the rarely used machine plugged in but with a charge limit set in the bios. That allows it to be grab and go for me. I understand that for various reasons one may not wish to or be able to leave the laptop plugged in, but that’s what has worked in my case.

Have a good day.

So, “what works for you” is having two Framework laptops! Thanks for that :stuck_out_tongue:

Ha. I wish that it were used more heavily but the others in my family are Apple users whom I thus far have been unsuccessful at convincing even to try linux. So, the second machine is less used than I had hoped it would be. It does provide for me a convenient platform on which to try things out, but that wasn’t my intention when I bought it.

To be completely clear for anyone reading this thread (not looking at you @Sumit or you @Jason_Dagless, rather, noting it for anyone who skims through the thread quickly), the second machine is a “nice to have,” I don’t need it to be able to use the laptop. My use case typically has my primary machine on power most times, so I have avoided the RTC issues that others have encountered.

Be well.

3 Likes

I have not been offered a replacement battery or mainboard, though I may just link this thread with nrp’s response lol. I’m giving it a couple days after the latest mainboard reset I did per Framework support’s recommendation just to see how long it takes for the battery to die.

1 Like

Ugh. My laptop just did this. Powered on 2 days ago, fully charged at 80%. Powered off.

Powered back on this afternoon. Laptop wouldn’t power on. Plugged into USB C power, laptop immediately came on. 78% battery :expressionless:

BIOS 3.10, ArchLinux

If the ML 1220 isn’t charged well enough that is to be expected, so can you tell how well it was charged. i.e. did you check the volatge before and after you power of and on.

It could be the battery is faulty of the contacts.

Giving such little detail leaves a lot of possibilites as to why it didn’t power on etc.

You are not helping! Please stop polluting the thread with your non-answers!

I mean seriously, why the bloody earth would a normal user check the RTC battery’s voltage before powering on their laptop! Just stop!

4 Likes

Hi @Alexander_von_Gluck how long have you had the laptop? Trying to guess if there is a co-relation with age and RTC battery life. I’ve been using it full on for the past three months. It has mostly stayed connected during this time.

Thanks for the response. I take you’ve done motherboard reset before? How long are you having to leave it off power (disconnected from mains) to require a motherboard reset? I seem to have been lucky to not get to that stage yet.

You seem to be very upset, maybe I can help you understand better.

The ML 1220 has a minimum voltage to sustain some, to me, unknown cpu function else this hard reset is required ~ there is more info on that if you like.

During the hard reset access to the ML 1220 is possible and the voltage can be checked and if it is around 2.8 then it is likely not a fault of the battery but maybe a connection.

If the voltage is low and is then charged it is possible to assess if the battery is charge to at leats 3V. This would indicate it is charging so would be a step in understanding what is happening etc.

I won’t go into more detail as this wasn’t directed to you.

Still I’m not sure what you mean by ‘normal’ user maybe you mean the common user of the Framework not the ‘common’ user of laptops in general.

In the later I agree most users of laptops probable would not check the battery etc. but this forum is not about the common laptop user but a niche market which is likely have a more discernig user base.

Now add to this more attentive user base it is not unreasonable to suggest ways of checking the battery when someone adds a comment in the [Community Support] section.

It is not advice nor expected that the enquirer will do such.

This forum is to support the users it not supporting the laptop so consideration to comments is essential even if you find the content not useful to you.

However as this is a user forum, I’m not really sure why you take such a rude and crude manner of response but as I said this is a user forum and even if you don’t have a Framework laptop I would be inclined to respond to your posts.

So have a nice day if the sun is still shinning or have good night wherever you find yourself.

All the best

By the way I am dyslexic and often spell things baddly and miss words, so if you have a question as what I say irks you I am more than happy to help clear up any misunderstanding you find in my posts.

Just added a [not] which changes everthing in it’s associated statement.

1 Like

yes, I am!

This is very useful but, OP already said he just reconnected to mains and it started up. Maybe you missed that? Happens.

Not diagnosed but I have a fair few traits myself, not an issue.

I’ve read your inputs across threads and a lot of them are very good and informational. So thanks for that.

Apologies for the caustic remark, but at this moment, I am finding impossible to deal with any suggestion of “you are holding it wrong” (The great Jobs’ comment on iPhone 4 fiasco). There seem to be quite a few of those here.

Yes, I love the damn concept, I went all in on it. Now I feel terribly let down by it and telling me I am doing it wrong will not get a kind response!

Have a good one!

So you are in the UK?

How about

1 Like

The ML 1220 is a 17mAh battery and if charging were 100% efficient is would take 17 hours.

As the battery is supposed to last about 21 days let’s say it requires 1mAh a day or give a bit more 9hours a week.

1 Like

Nice bit of deduction.

I’ve posted in my update at the top of the thread, the laptop is definitely getting charged more than that, but it fails eitherway. I am resigned to the fact that the battery is done it’s 100 charge cycles.

How do charge cycles get counted? If I have the RTC battery plugged in all the time, is it losing charge cycles? Or does it loose a cycle everytime I plug in. At that rate 100 cycles == 100 days approx, which is 3+ months. Lines up with my laptop’s life.

Let’s see if my ebay drop shipper delivers, if not, I’ll try smallbattery company. I did find them in my search but their website didn’t inspire confidence. Then again don’t judge a book by it’s cover eh!

Having to have some degree of RTC battery charge level / usage tracking (mentally or otherwise) in order to use a laptop…facepalm…that’s just anxiety inducing on a whole different level in *modern electronics.

@amoun means well with his info…but seriously, this hardware usability issue is just out of whack.

Never had I thought that a laptop would have a power-up model like a car (RTC battery = car battery, main battery = gas tank).

At the end of the day, no amount of forum messages can fix this. …and I sound like a broken record.

2 Likes

Interesting you bring up the car analogy. I’ve heard Teslas have a similar issue. They have a 12V battery that’s charged of mains only, so if you leave the car unplugged for more than n days, the 12V battery dies out and then you need a Tesla callout to ‘jump start’ your car.

Maybe we can put a positive spin on this, “Framework has built a Tesla among laptops”? :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

True, it can’t be fixed, but if I can get to a place of predictability I can truly work around it!

It is a sunken cost of being an early adopter I’ve to deal with (Looks at my Surface RT, Microsoft Band, bunch of Windows Phones, Amazon Fire tablets and a cruddy Windows tablet and slaps forehead, “when will you learn Sumit”)

LoL…reminds me of this:

Even so 100 cycles seems far too little but then

Given a 21 day cycle that would be 2100 days or 6 years, so clearly your ML 1200 should not have cycled out.

OK at 1 cycle a day is using 17mAh but the drain is supposed to be around 0.03mAh so the battery seems faulty or you have a massive drain when switched off which is burning out the battery.

It’ll be sad if official support can’t sort this. Hopefull it is only the battery and a replacment may just work. But should that fail I see no reason why support won’t consider an RMA and have a look at it.

Even if it only lasted 7 days a cycle it should last 2 years

1 Like

This problem is exacerbated by the requirement of the RTC battery just to boot the machine.

I hope this can be changed for 11th gen and is not present on future boards.

I have never experienced this issue on my 11th gen unit, goes 2 weeks with no charge fine. I do always keep it on the most updated BIOS so that may help. It isn’t specifically an issue with FWs, just 11th gen.

1 Like

Do you mean for the 12th gen, where it has been fixed. I’m pretty sure nore 11 gens will be manufactured ?