11th Gen Laptop with weird wake up issues - Buyers beware

I’m talking about the requirement of a RTC battery with a charge for the system to boot.

I would like this requirement to be removed entirely. If the battery is dead/not present I want the systems to still be capable of booting and to have default BIOS settings.

I pointed this out because then people would only be dealing with a reset BIOS/RTC not an expensive paperweight and my systems ability to boot won’t be dependant on this tiny battery. What would happen if I broke my clip white doing a reset and couldn’t repair it? Dead board, terrible.

1 Like

At the end of the day you have two choices.

1. Sell it and get something else.

2. Keep it and get something else a couple or four years from now.

I guess you could wait and get a 13th gen board if they will fit but you may as well buy a different laptop by then.

1 Like

Yes I see what you mean. Ideally the main battery could provide power to the BIOS and RTC and the ML 1220 would just be a backup if the main battery discharged completely. Hmm! I may ask Framework why that isn’t the case, I’ve been menaing to write to them for a while.

@amoun @Usernames If I understand Nrp’s post correctly, they are two different subsystems. So possibly use different power rails. This could be dictated by the main Processor actually. So very unlikely it will be a software fix or a quick h/w hack for 11th gen. What was possible in the past may have been changed by Intel slowly over the years. We didn’t notice until we hit this bug.

I remember Raspberry Pi compute module (3 and below) base boards being complicated to design because they had multiple voltage level requirements. They simplified that in CM4 and now there is a flood of Raspberry Pi CM4 base boards in the market.

So here is October 4, 2022 afternoon battery status. I am doing as instructed. 48 hours of charging is done. I’ll just follow my regular work schedule and unplug it at night. We’ll see how the system reacts tomorrow morning and subsequent mornings.

Ok. I traced down my specific situation.

I keep having issues with my framework laptop not powering on.

11th Gen Intel, i7-1165G7
BIOS 3.10
ArchLinux
80% battery limit configured in bios

• Try to turn laptop on. No response from power button. Power button LED off. No LED lights.
  • Holding power button doesn’t help. Laptop refuses to power on.
  • Plug laptop into USB C PD power. Keyboard lights up, power button lights up. Screen remains dark.
  • After 30-60 seconds, laptop shuts off, then laptop powers on and functions as usual. Battery is 75%.
  • Shutdown laptop via normal OS shutdown. Unplug USB C.
  • Power laptop on. No problems.
  • Power laptop off. No problems.
  • Wait 12 hours or more with it powered off. The same problem above happens again.

Laptop holds a charge fine, otherwise functions normally.

I’ve contacted Framework support with the above, i’ll see what they say. It “feels” like the bios is resetting itself after plugging in the USB C power connector.

I’d just live with the above, but as a portable device its kinda a big fault. I’ve gotten stuck places with it non-functioning multiple times now without a power source available to “revive” it. :expressionless:

Has anyone seen these funky “won’t turn on” issues on 12th gen hardware?

1 Like

As an end-user…I’m going with “why would I [need to] care about this at the engineering level?”.

e.g. Wanting to use a blender doesn’t mean I need to know about the bevel profile of the blades.

Technical details are good…for details, if you can move forward to address an issue. Otherwise, if it’s a blocker…it doesn’t assist in anything.

Correct. This is quite literally a desktop replacement laptop…where it has strange requirement on plugged in time / duration…beyond the charge level of the main battery.

1 Like

Thanks @Alexander_von_Gluck ! Sounds like your BIOS battery is in smiliar status to mine. We do seem to be running through the charge cycles of these batteries much faster than designed. Waiting for my battery replacement to arrive, will report back it that helps.

Thanks @Alexander_von_Gluck ! Sounds like your BIOS battery is in smiliar status to mine. We do seem to be running through the charge cycles of these batteries much faster than designed. Waiting for my battery replacement to arrive, will report back it that helps.

Hm. I guess a low BIOS battery would make sense. Maybe fallout from all the power drain issues from BIOS 3.09 and before?

1 Like

Hm. I guess a low BIOS battery would make sense. Maybe fallout from all the power drain issues from BIOS 3.09 and before?

Confirmed. The ML1220 RTC battery is 1.8v. Framework really needs to address this head on and stop making people guess

1 Like

You have made @amoun very happy :slight_smile:

One last thing, how long have you had the laptop? Trying to guess if there is a correlation of time/usage with RTC battery life.

As per Nirav’s post above (11th Gen Laptop with weird wake up issues - Buyers beware - #31 by nrp) if you can prove the battery is duff they will replace it and if that doesn’t fix it, they will swap motherboard. Now for us to ‘prove’ it’s duff. You are closer than I am. I’ve steadfastly refused to open the laptop so far :joy: (kidding, I’ll get to it when the replacement RTC I sourced is here).

Yes that is low and after how long on charge.

So if it’s been on charge for the previous 24 hours and isn’t 3.*V then it could be one of

• Duff battery
  • Duff holder and contacts
  • The mainboard isn’t supply a decent charge rate.
1 Like

My Framework laptop sits a lot not plugged in. I pull it out every week or two to use it. It’s not my daily driver, so spends a lot of time powered off. The main system battery though is never less than 40-60%

So I guess that explains the low RTC battery. If the 11th gen board can’t go more than a few days powered off (especially on older BIOSes), then the rechargeable RTC battery likely gets damaged in a low state of charge.

I actually have a charger for coin cell rechargeable batteries lying around… let me see if the RTC battery will charge. I ordered a new ML1220 which will be here tomorrow.

2 Likes

I doubt BIOS numbers have anything to do with it. I got mine end of July, and upgraded immediately that was 3.7… about 10 days ago I jumped to 3.10… nothing has made a difference.

Be very gentle with the battery removal, and see if the RTC battery holder flexes when you remove the battery. There have been atleast one case reported on this forum where the RTC battery holder’s soldering was loose and it came off the board at one end.

1 Like

My coin cell charger charges at 20ma.

Yup. It took <5 minutes to be “done”. I pulled it off the charger and the coin cell was 3.0v I just checked the cell after 1-2 minutes and it is 2.6v. I’m not sure of the capacity of a ML1220, but this sounds like the stock battery isn’t holding much of a charge anymore.

1 Like

That is very nice and conclusive! Now to see how the new battery does.

https://na.industrial.panasonic.com/products/batteries/rechargeable-batteries/series/90797/model/90808

Wow… 17mA capacity. That isn’t much lol.

The recommended drain is 0.03mA. I wonder how much current the Framework pulls :thinking:

Capacity is 17mAh and the charge rate should not be higher than 10mA

2 Likes

It drains about 0.03mA so 1700/3 is 566.666r divided by 24 is 23.61r days

Framework expect in optimum conditions the ML will stay functional for a bout three weeks ~ it has to be fully charged and making good contact

1 Like

The topic mention below has a lot about the ML 1220