12th gen battery questions on linux

Yeah this is very promising. In general is it considered a bad idea to upgrade to a new kernel without support from the distribution? This seems like such an uplift that waiting for the distro to update to it seems painful. I think fedora 37 which isn’t even out yet will be based on kernel 5.18, I’m not sure how quickly Pop!_OS tends to update its kernel. I suppose this is a situation where running Arch pays dividends.

Upgrading kernels is totally fine and a great thing to learn how to do. I’m sure there’s a PPA which has the latest kernels but it may be worth learning to compile your own. You can always have multiple kernels as long as your EFI/boot partition is big enough so you can switch back and forth (I like to have a mainline kernel available). The Arch and Gentoo wikis are a decent reference for boot loader and kernel stuff.

1 Like

That’s good to know, thanks!

Depends on what you are doing with your system. It going to be my main rigg. So I am not planning on testing kernels. Anyhow you will be able to boot with one or the other kernel via GRUB. SO you can always fall back to a working kernel.
I personnaly would better go for next Ubuntu 22.10 in October. Even thought this would put me in the non LTS wagon until 2024 !

Found also this for evaluation , just copy the iso on a USB key and off you go to test the new kernel :smiley: https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-canary/current/

I am on Mate currentely, “for a restrospective future” !!! <3 , the daily is there: Ubuntu MATE 24.04 (Noble Numbat) Daily Build

1 Like

Thanks
I probably won’t run Ubuntu on my framework, I don’t like the direction it’s headed with snaps and I think it’s not as interesting as what System76 are doing with Pop!_OS or what you can get with more up to date stock Gnome on Fedora. I’m saying this as an Ubuntu 20.04 user on my current laptop.

Plugging in one USB A module on the 11th gen board.

This is the drain adding a type A and then HDMI.

4 Likes

This is so interesting, have any people on the framework team addressed this as far as you know?

It not so much the USB A but clearly it has to be recognised as being not the deafult USB C so it will ‘cause’ if not ‘draw’ power.

However why that is over 1W rather than 0.001W is the issue as far as I can see.

1 Like

Not that I am aware. Quite a lot of folk have noticed anything not type C drains additional power at least on 11th gen.

1 Like

But if nothing is plugged into the USB-A then does it really need to be recognised at all by the computer?

The problem with USB-A has been mentioned before:

I recall reading elsewhere that the problem is not that the USB-A card itself is active, but that it makes a connection between some pins on the port, showing that a device is “plugged in”, where the USB-C protocol then requires some polling on the laptop side to see if the device has any requests.

This electronic activity does seem to persist when the laptop is s2idle or deep suspended, when (percentage-wise) it starts to be quite significant. I haven’t spotted a follow-up from @Kieran_Levin on whether they’ve been able to find possible mitigations in firmware. For now: get 4x USB-C; plus any expansion cards you’d like. If you’re in a situation where you want to maximize battery, you can use the cards as dongles (and they’re competitively priced for that). I wish I’d known when I ordered.

5 Likes

Ahhhh ok, I wonder if this is necessary or not?

Yes it sadly is.

I have a magentic USB C cable, when connected direct to a PD|PPS output the LED on in only comes on when a load is conneted, If I connect the other UBC C via a USB A adapter then the LED comes on whether or not there is a load.

It seems the USB A must have power going to it all the time, that the old USB 2 and 3 protocols, the USB C only provides power when there is a connection. Old versus new.

Still I can get over the 1W usage, it’s obscene.

2 Likes

Fair enough

Yeah that’s just insane (my understanding though is that it’s closer to 500mW but that’s still very high considering the overall power consumption at idle). I hope that’s fixable in firmware although it seems Framework are very unproductive in that department. A lot of the power draw issues, especially the ones that are surely quite clearly fixable like power draw during sleep have been ongoing and documented since launch and still isn’t fixed.

Yeah I would have also got all type C

1 Like

ok, I’m gonna change my order

Yes in the graphs above the first shows over 1W the next just less than 500mW ???

I must check my USB A

1 Like

The way I’ve interpreted the graphs is that there is an initial bump that brings it to ~1W but then it settles closer to ~500mW

1 Like

Yes I didn’t pay enough attention, thanks for pointing that out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah I think it is the right default and like Nils said above you can either install or use the other expiations you need as dongles.

That’s right. I measure each type A to use ~0.4W and HDMI ~0.9W. Let’s see if 12th gen boards perform better.

1 Like