12th Gen Coil Whine

Hey, is anyone getting what sounds like coil whine on the 12th gen?

It’s definitely not the fan as I can hear it when the fan isn’t running (I opened the laptop while turned on to verify).
Also seems to be louder when on charge.

A couple things I’ve tried to remove the whine:

• messing with TLP settings
  • Removing the 80% charge limit I set in the BIOS

The whine seems to not be as loud now but this could just be due to restarting the machine

1 Like

One fun thing you can try to do to isolate the coil whine is to simply take a standard piece of paper, roll it into a tube, and then use it as a funnel with one side against your ear and the other side against whatever component to listen and try to locate where on the mainboard the coil whine is coming from.

Depending on what is causing the coil whine, there are certain things we might actually be able to do eliminate it.

2 Likes

I’m hearing this, too, but only when I set power profile (Fedora 36 KDE Spin) to Performance. It stops when set to Balanced or Power Save.

Edit - Adding link to recording
https://filedn.com/lxpk2cSCQLlbix9IdAz4NJY/coilwhine.mp3

1 Like

Don’t suppose you could also do the paper tube trick?

If OP returns then it’d be great to determine if it’s the same component causing the coil whine or not, at which point we may or may not be able to work towards a solution (whether it be a DIY solution or a more replacement-related solution).

(also, may I get on my audiophile podium for a moment and say that high frequency sound, such as that commonly found with coil whine, is probably one of MP3’s worst-case scenarios; unless you max the bitrate out to 320kbps, nearly any newer audio codec created in the last 25 years will handle such high frequency sound much better, especially Opus)

I’ll get round to it at some point I promise!

On my 11th gen unit, the coil whine (ever sooooooo faint) is coming from around the headphone jack / expansion slot area. (as heard from my ear right up against the unit / 1cm away)

(I consider myself as someone with good hearing / sensitive ears)

I’m guessing this is with the keyboard still in-place and the laptop not opened up at all?

This is why I’ve been baby-sitting this thread as I am super-OCD about silence and also have particularly keen hearing.

(fun fact: the hum of a CRT monitor is louder than my desktop PC except when said PC is running at full beans since the thermal paste has aged to the point that the fans need to run harder than they used to ~8 years ago when the PC was built, but I didn’t want to bother with re-pasting because the PC has been “earmarked” for revamping/rebuilding/replacing for the past 3 years, but that just keeps… not happening for various reasons or another; at this point I might skip just straight from DDR3 to DDR5 and use a graphite thermal pad instead since my total heat-output is low due to fan-noise reasons anyway and because I tend to keep my PCs for so stinking long; my HTPC is an LGA1156 system!).

Correct.

I’m with you.

I think I’ve isolated it to this general area:

Fair, how about FLAC?
https://filedn.com/lxpk2cSCQLlbix9IdAz4NJY/whine/coilwhine.flac

Hmm… unless there’s something on the back of the mainboard, the only thing that’s really visible without removing the heatsink is that single little chip and/or microcontroller that’s slightly left of the center of your circle.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, there’s also a tiny… uh, I forget what they’re called, whatever the tiny thing is located directly below the aforementioned chip/microcontroller - the thing that looks like an embedded LED if I’m honest.

…and I’m not even sure such a thing could actually cause coil whine; I mean, the term “coil whine” is called as such due to, well, coils, such as the power inductors found in a power supply or the like, and it’s coil whine caused by such coils/inductors that you can actually solve relatively easily in a DIY manner by, I kid you not, simply coating the coil/power inductor in either hot glue or neutral silicone (while it’s powered off of course, and then not powering it on until the hot glue or neutral silicone has dried).

The only issue is the growing use of shielded power inductors which you typically find on a graphics card for example - the hot glue/neutral silicone method doesn’t exactly work on these because the coils are covered (good quality sheilded power inductors should have the covering properly hold the coils in place and prevent any vibrations and therefore coil whine, but you never know…)

NM64, you’re thinking about capacitors, and yes - they can “whine” due to resonance / piezoelectric effects :slight_smile:

I habe a 12th gen laptop for 2 monthes and no coil whine for me. I had a fan noise. After dismenteling and mounting it back it went away.
Have you tried with and without your charger? Checking for electric problems out there…

Definitely have this too: https://i.imgur.com/knBxwlN.jpeg
Support is stubbornly requesting video with sound showing this issue, even after I’ve stated that I don’t have video equipment that can record such a high pitched noise. Also, they are trying to divert the conversation to fan noise.
Additionally, they have been extremely combative about me raising this issue on the forums and temporarily banned me after having opened a thread in spite of their threats.
Recommend staying away from Framework for anyone stumbling upon this thread.

Which generation Framework do you have?

Since there are only a couple reports of coil whine, with the last comment over 6 months ago, it does not seem like this is a significant problem. The small risk of running into this is really not something I’d avoid a Framework laptop over. No flood of complaints anywhere I’ve seen on the internet, either about coil whine or bad customer service or bad support. Framework does have 30 day returns. Giving some time to inspect for defects or just to change one’s mind.

2 Likes

I can notice a very very quiet noise if I put the laptop’s bottom directly against my ear but nothing at all under normal circumstances (i7-1280P). Most chargers and other electronic devices I have emit more “noise”.
Also inductors aren’t the only things that can produce noise, ceramic capacitors can also act as piezoelectric “speakers” (and microphones).

It’s because you have freight forwarded despite many warnings not to.

Framework cannot offer you warranty or support if you freight forward.

You are on your own.

It’s not fair to run down Framework support or say you’ve been mistreated here without disclosing this information. In fact, since you are now wholly dependent on others here to help you, it would be best not to stir things up.

3 Likes

@Fraoch could you please elaborate on what is considered freight forwarding?

Basically buying the Laptop in a country where Framework doesn’t sell it using an address in a supported country and let it forward it from there to you (there are services that handle the logistics).
(As far as I understand it)

That’s pretty much my understanding as well, but I’d like to get an official statement (ideally referencing the ToS or similar).

Search is your friend Discussion of Freight Forwarding is Prohibited all the links you want are in there.

2 Likes