12th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.06 Beta

The same dmesg happens on my Gen11 device. A new USB insert is not recognized for ~30 seconds. After that time the slot seams to recover itself and the inserted device gets recognized without re-inserting it.

It’s been 3 weeks. Is there any news on this 3.07 release?

6 Likes

We found 2 additional issues we are trying to resolve during our release validation. Once we have an update we will post it here.

17 Likes

@Kieran_Levin Speaking for the community, we appreciate the update.

On a more personal note, not to pester you or Framework in general but communication has been rather lacking on the software side. I think we all understand why you guys don’t announce new products before they’re done cooking in the oven but software is different. May I suggest a monthly post regarding various software projects/updates going on? It doesn’t have to be long or even terribly detailed but the lack of communication is disheartening and sometimes gives the impression that you guys don’t care, which I know isn’t true! Just a monthly status update regarding BIOS updates/issues and possible fixes that might be explored as well as Coreboot/other firmware projects (community ones too if/when those spring up!). Just a respectful request/suggestion, thank you.

10 Likes

@GhostLegion Thanks for the suggestion. I agree I can do a better job communicating with the community. I will take your suggestion and see if we can do a monthly post about updates in software and firmware. We do have a lot of exciting new things happening including improved standalone bios update support.
On our upcoming AMD platform we are updating the EC to run chromium-ec on Zephyr.
We are also preparing updates for 12th and 11th gen to support the full capacity of the 61Wh battery.

19 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: 11th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.17 Release

@Kieran_Levin Thank you so much! I appreciate the response!

2 Likes

Is this BIOS still in beta or the latest stable version now? Just asking because some time passed since this was posted and while I haven’t read trough every post here, I’ve saw version 3.07 mentioned a few times, so the next version, however on the page for the 12th gen Bios it still says 3.04 is the latest one
https://knowledgebase.frame.work/en_us/framework-laptop-bios-and-driver-releases-12th-gen-intel-core-Bkx2kosqq

1 Like

@Mr_Rulf it’s still beta.

Hi @Kieran_Levin, thank you for providing updates on the new beta you’re testing internally. Looks like it’s been about 2 weeks since y’all found issues with it that needed to be resolved before release. Can you give an update as to when those issues will be resolved and tested, and it’ll be released to the community as a beta?

I only ask because I am working with Framework support on an unrelated issue (the 400MHz throttling problem), and they suggested I update to the 3.06 beta to see if that helps. Given the issues reported in this thread, I’m a little uncomfortable updating, and would rather wait for the 3.07 beta. But the throttling issue has started becoming unbearable… if the 3.07 beta isn’t going to be out in the next week or so, I may decide to give the 3.06 beta a shot, despite my concerns.

Thank you!

3 Likes

Any updates on this?

10 Likes

Can we get an ETA on this bios update please!

4 Likes

Update, 2 June 2023:

I’m pleased to report that I was able to get the 3.06 Beta BIOS upgrade completed by disabling the Secure Boot setting in the BIOS and then using the EFI method with a USB Flash drive. I’ll update this post with any additional issues I discover.

=======================
Original Post (1 June 2023):
I finally gave up waiting for the 3.06 to be out of Beta and ran the update on my 12Gen, which was still running the BIOS and firmware it shipped with back in Sep 2022.

I’m pretty unhappy with the way this went - if anyone has suggestions I’m all ears. Thanks in advance for any advice. The gory details:

Result of upgrade: Can no longer dock with right side ports
Right side USB-C/TB ports only recognize power delivery from the docking station - no other connectivity is recognized. When docking station is connected to either left side port, using either of the two USB-C modules I have, everything appears OK (extremely minimal testing so far). The USB-A port connected on the right side appears to be running normally - able to run 3.0 devices.

Upgrade method used:
Windows MSI on Windows 11. There were a lot of reboots, and the last one’s green progress bar took several minutes to complete the last 1-2% - it was stuck in the same spot long enough that I was getting nervous that it was going to fail (it did not). nothing else was obviously noteworthy during the process. I did video most of it, if anyone is interested.

Attempts to remediate the right side docking issue:

1. Tried to run update via USB EFI, but it won’t run. Tried several times with power connected to both sides - same result.

]

2. Re-ran the .MSI installer in Windows, a few times, with power connected on both sides. Same result each time - it says it needs to reboot to apply the update, but nothing appears to actually get installed or runs - it just looks like a normal reboot, and the docking situation is unchanged.

Conditions under which upgrade was performed:
Hardware: 12 Gen DIY Received Sep 2022 Batch 3
BIOS version 3.04 (BIOS that shipped with this system)
Modules in laptop:
Rear Right: USB-C, connected to Dell TB3 Docking Station (TB16)
Front Right: USB-A, connected to Mouse
Rear Left: USB-C, not connected to anything
Front Left: HDMI, not connected to anything
The docking station is a Dell TB16 that has been working quite well for the last 5-6 months. Only issues prior to BIOS/Firmware upgrade were with reboots. If the dock was connected at reboot time, the power delivery would stop - disconnecting and reconnecting it would solve that problem reliably.

I don’t understand why everyone is in a rush to upgrade their BIOS. Its not like an OS update that can be rolled back or recovered from a backup. This is a high stakes situation that always has a greater than 0% chance of converting your machine into a brick. This is WHY Framework is taking their time. They have to get it right, and they have to get it right at scale. The communication about this BIOS is and was already light-years beyond other laptop manufacturers. Let the devs and engineers do their thing.

8 Likes

@Perry_Flaugh One reason might be that the current version of the BIOS is lacking, and people are hopefull that whatever’s not working will be fixed in an update.

While I agree that Framework is using more technical language when explaining BIOS updates compared to other manufacturers, overall:

communication about this BIOS is and was already light-years beyond other laptop manufacturers

statement is incorrect because other manufacturers (e.g. Lenovo) are providing said updates on a regular basis sometimes even as often as every 2 months. Meanwhile the FW13 12th Gen has not had a proper update in almost 1 year, and has known issues.

I do like my Framework laptop, but the BIOS support is currently very lacking, as far as I’m concerned, and it is literally the only software responsibility for a hardware company. I am willing to bet that most of us change our phones when manufacturers stop providing updates. BIOS in a computer is the same.

8 Likes

I’m going to agree with @meehien. I want to love my Framework, and I keep debating on going ahead and pre-ordering the AMD motherboard or 13th gen one, but I keep circling on “… but the BIOS updates …” and getting worried. My new job has a Perks system that gets a sizable discount with Lenovo, and I’ve been considering switching to them or back to Dell.

While, yes, BIOS updates aren’t strictly necessary on an otherwise perfectly functioning system, the BIOS we’re waiting for the 12th gen board includes fully certified Thunderbolt support, but in my opinion the part I care about more is the patches for CVE’s. Before my Framework I had 2 XPS 13’s and an XPS 15, and getting BIOS updates at least once every couple months made me feel a lot safer knowing the security issues were getting fixed.

Recently some manufacturers have been having issues with firmware updates that are likely going to scare a lot of users, namely the recent HP “oh your printer doesn’t work now” problems. I imagine a lot of users are going to read this as “I guess I just don’t do updates anymore” but that’s the wrong take away. Instead of just not doing firmware updates for fear that they’ll break something, it’s better to focus on pressuring companies to do better about firmware updates so we don’t have such fears. In Framework’s case, I think they are appropriately cautionary, but this caution is showing that their firmware team isn’t large enough and/or stretched too thin. To some degree it’s easy enough to hand-wave that as “Well yeah, small start up, only so many resources,” but that does leave me worried about the future.

I generally apply updates, specifically security updates, as soon as feasibly possible, but I rarely go on beta tracks for firmware for the “it’ll probably break something” fear. However, having a device that is supposedly still receiving support, or being sold as new still, that has nearly 1 year old security flaws left unpatched? That’s when I start thinking of jumping ship.

Overall, I do not explicitly disagree with @Perry_Flaugh about wanting to give Framework some slack here, I also feel like it’s not enough to just say that’s the end of the conversation.

To me, I think this is a perfectly valid time to bring up the “What about Coreboot?” question again. If Framework is struggling to find the resources to maintain firmware for multiple boards, maybe it’s time to hand the reins over to the open source community. I do understand that’s an undertaking in and of itself, so maybe wrap up what is active, but if there are new hires happening for these firmware teams, maybe they need to be focused on transitioning what they can into an open source BIOS/firmware platform instead of just continuing the closed sourced firmware development. I vaguely recall some of the discussion around this specific topic in the past surrounded the difficulty is due to the current hardware limitations of switching to an open BIOS is caused by licensing agreements, which is understandable, but that doesn’t have to mean development stops in that regard.

Frankly, if there were inklings of a, “Well, sadly, you’d have to buy a new motherboard with new chipsets to get an open source BIOS, but that’s going to be available within X time,” I’d probably stick around on the Framework bandwagon thru that to try it out. As is, I’m definitely finding it hard to not switch back to a larger manufacturer, though. I really want Framework to succeed, I love the mission of sustainable, upgradable laptops, but I still want to daily drive thing without feeling like it’s a security risk.

8 Likes

I’m going to disagree. My experience of laptop manufacturers (various brands) is that they very rarely if ever produce bios updates at all, and when they do it’s to take features/functionality away.

6 Likes

@meehien While your Lenovo example is an exception. I do want to point out that companies that do supply these regular BIOS updates are hundreds of times bigger than Framework and have MASSIVE contracts to supply machines to Fortune 100 companies, the government, etc., of course the BIOSes are going to be updated every few months. Framework is a minuscule fraction in size compared to these companies. Things are going to go slower, not to mention we aren’t even more than a few years into Framework selling machines to the public. Theres going to be bugs and hold ups. You are comparing apples and oranges.

I have a z170 ASUS motherboard in my PC, ASUS’s last BIOS release for that board was 2017. The vast majority of manufacturers hardly ever upgrade their BIOS after a few years. This was moreso my original point.

@JP_Powers The 12th gen’s shipped with 3.05 which was a patched BIOS to address those CVEs. Did you not get 3.05 on your 12th gen? Personally I would love to see Coreboot as well.

Really my entire above comment was just echoing your aversion to beta software. I cant help but facepalm when someone complains that 3.06 is taking too long, then gets impatient and installs a beta BIOS on their machine and then SHOCKED PIKACHU when their laptop is now broken in some way and takes to the forum to complain about their now messed up laptop.

3 Likes

Just in case anyone missed my edit/update to my original post, I was able to get the BIOS patched successfully and the right side port issue resolved immediately thereafter. I also want to commend Framework support for a quick response to my initial report, which I submitted at the same time I made that post.

If anyone has any questions about the process I used to remediate the upgrade or any other relevant details, please feel free to DM me and I’ll be happy to help.

4 Likes

@Perry_Flaugh, just a couple of quick corrections to your post:

1. The vulnerabilities that Framework posted in Sep 2022 are not addressed in BIOS 3.05.

Binarly, a firmware security analysis firm, discovered several issues in Insyde BIOS that impact the Framework Laptop (12th Gen Intel Core) with BIOS releases 3.05 and earlier.

The CVEs enumerated as resolved are only found in the 3.06 BIOS update.

1. Not all 12 Gen Framework laptops shipped with 3.05. As I indicated in my initial post, mine shipped with BIOS 3.04. FWIW, 3.05 was never released to the public or in beta (though I personally would have skipped it if it had, given the absence of the security fixes).
3 Likes