We are excited to release our first BIOS update for 12th Gen Systems.
This update has been a bit more complex due to needing to update retimers, and we have had to rewrite our updater for both EFI and windows to support this.
Please carefully read through the update instructions, especially if you update using EFI!
Please note that if you update to 3.06, you will not be able to downgrade to a lower version as it will cause left side ports to stop functioning for any mode except USB2.
Note: One user has experienced that after updating some type-c ports will not function in DP alt mode, If you experience this please report to the forum and power off your laptop, remove AC, wait 2 minutes and power on again.
Instructions for Windows Installer:
- Run the windows installer.
- If prompted to trust the Framework driver signature agree.
- Click yes to reboot.
- Wait for all 3 firmware progress bars to complete as the installer will install 3 different firmware updates and then reboot into Windows.
Note: occasionally the usb drive will not be recognized after rebooting into step 3/5. Please confirm you reach the last update screen that says update complete. If you do not, unplug replug your flash drive and reboot and press F12 and select your usb flash drive, and the update process will continue.
Note that if you use the EFI shell update with windows, you should suspend bitlocker if enabled before updating using the EFI updater.
Instructions for EFI shell update:
- Extract contents of zip folder to a fat32 formatted usb drive.
- Disable secure boot in BIOS.
- Boot your system while pressing F12 and boot from the thumb drive.
- Let startup.nsh run automatically.
- Follow the instructions to install the update.
Example Update screens:
Please note that if you are updating a standalone mainboard with external display connected, the retimer will update, but this will cause your screen to be blank for about 1 minute on the side the retimer is updated on.
Bios Update step:
After the bios update, if you are using a standalone mainboard, Your external monitor may remain blank while the 2nd retimer is updated for about 1 minute. Your system will reboot again.
Update Complete! Press spacebar to boot back into the OS.
Updating via LVFS is available in the testing channel
You can enable updates from testing by running
fwupdmgr enable-remote lvfs-testing
Currently LVFS support has regressed due to fwupdmgr defaulting to file based capsule update on newer versions which is not supported in our BIOS.
Please set DisableCapsuleUpdateOnDisk=true in /etc/fwupd/uefi_capsule.conf before applying this update, otherwise the update will fail.
LVFS may not update if the battery is 100% charged. LVFS uses the battery status to determine if it is safe to apply updates. However if our battery is at 100% and the charger is off, we set the battery charging status to false. In this case you can discharge your battery a few percent, then plug in AC again and run fwupdmgr update.
- Added bios option in Advanced menu to enable/disable standalone operation. When enabled, the system will skip checks for display/touchpad/audio daughterboard and chassis open.
- Modified power button LED behavior, so that low battery will cause the power button to flash white instead of red.
- Update PD firmware to fix Thunderbolt compliance issues.
- Add flash flag structure to save boot options when RTC battery is not installed for standalone operation.
- Allow PD firmware to support new retimer address on left side retimers for updated retimer firmware.
- Put the retimer in low power mode when the hdmi /display port expansion card is installed but no sink (cable) is attached for power saving.
- Fix BIOS setup item TPM availability help string had missing word.
- Fix press F3/F12 hotkey causes system hang up in post if BIOS quiet boot is se\t to disabled.
- Fix Touchpad does not enter P2P mode when EC re-enables PS2 mouse.
- Fix Touchpad board id was incorrectly reported if the touchpad was removed.
- Thunderbolt Certification.