12th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.06 Beta

@fw91235543 Have you done a motherboard reset? It might be enough to make it work correctly again.

1 Like

Does anybody know what the timeframe for the release of the new BIOS is? Also would Beta BIOS be able to download the final release? Or are you stuck on beta 3.06?

4 Likes

Looks like something went wrong during my install. Tried using the MSI installer. Like others ran in to the Retimer 23 not working. Rebooted a couple times, with no solution. Found out the ports on the left side weren’t working so I prepared the EFI usb. Bios did not see the USB so I booted up back into windows to format usb drive. Noticed the power led was not lit and the machine locked up while formatting the drive. Shut down the machine using the power button and now it won’t turn on and only the left side ports are working, instead. Does any one know what happened?

2 Likes

@prepaidpyramid For whatever reason I had to do 2 resets, but it seems to be working fine now.

3 Likes

Good day folks.

I juste received a lenovo thunderbolt 4 dock.
It was wonky (ethernet wasnt working eventough interface was up) so i updated the bios to 3.06 via fwmgr
Now the dock isnt even received as a thunderbolt device (the device is seen as disconnected eventough i’m receiving power from it). Nothing in dmesg.
Did i miss something stupid?

Many thanks

Edit : against all i read that makes sense to me, it works on the left port, but not on the right. Isnt this supposed to be the opposite…?
Edit 2 : also boltctl sees it as an USB4 device instead of thunderbolt 4?
Edit 3 : i also have the usb a card dying on second insertion on usb3 device on the right port. but curiously, as opposite to him, front left is fine

2 Likes

@Baptiste_Rajaut Have you enabled boltd or similar service?
In order to mitigate DMA attacks, recent implementations of the thunderbolt protocol include an authorization layer, so maybe the 3.05 was not aware of that and the 3.06 is.
I don’t know exactly how that plays out for your distro, but on mine I had to install boltd and the corresponding init service (I’m not using systemd, but you probably are, so you are looking for a way to enable bolt through systemd).
For reference, here is what the Arch Wiki contains:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Thunderbolt

Edit: oops, you were saying that you’re using boltctl, so that should already cover the authorization part of the protocol.

By the way, USB4 is not exactly the same as thunderbolt 4, but at least it is based on thunderbolt 3. So maybe it’ll match your needs.

(BTW I’ve just noticed this blog page, from another member of this forum, which is a fabulous dive into the features of the different USB and thunderbolt protocols.)

3 Likes

HI there,
Any update on a release date for the stable release of the 1st bios update ?
My laptop is pretty stable on Linux Ubuntu 22.04 since I received it in September.
But I am looking forward to even more stability, and in the past 10 years, bios update have always been a very important thing for robust ans stable operation.

Especially I am doing OBS video recording under linux, and you get in all kind of small bugs that summed up makes thing difficult.
For example my RODE usb C mic will stop the boot process when connected at boot ! And I need always to plug it two times to have it work. So its presumabely a mix of Bios/ ubuntu / rode firmeware.

2 Likes

Having real problems here. Started the UEFI update for Linux. It seemed to update a couple of steps then got to a script error. I reset and now it asks me to plug in my power adaptor (which is plugged in and which I’ve tried on different sides). So now my laptop is no longer charging. Not good at all

Help!

2 Likes

@Alex_Lennon Try a low power charger, like with a USB-A to USBC cable. One that isn’t USB-PD.

3 Likes

Doesn’t work either unfortunately

2 Likes

@Alex_Lennon That should have worked. I had the same issue. What is the specs of the power adapter you are using? See where it says PD was disabled? A non-USB PD charger should work.

3 Likes

I’ve sorted it out. I enabled battery disconnect in the BIOS. It shutdown for a few power key presses and when it came up something must have cleared out and the USC C charger is charging (yay)

That enabled me to go through and complete the update process although I seemed to have to go through it a number of times.

Phew!

7 Likes

Having to remove and reinsert the USB-A cards randomly is really annoying. Any update on that?

1 Like

My bootloader is borked on my Windows drive sice a month, or maybe it’s the usbc port itself… but hey at least we can buy SSD’s for SteamDecks.

2 Likes

trying to update my bios but failled

the windows installer don’t work (it reboot but nothing after. it boot like normal

i try with lvfs but it say nothing to update

so i tried usb and it work but not for the bios
it failed at the end 5 out of 5

tried two or three more time and now it work

1 Like

I was able to fix my boot loop by mounting the efi partition in linux and deleting the capsule files and isflash.bin

… which I had to find by just kind of looking around at random for stuff that just kinda seemed like it was maybe related to an updater… and then there’s the buffoonery where the power must be plugged in but not at 100% ??? really?..and creating a boot loop is bad enough but then having no directions to cover that possibility… come on guys wth is this nonsense? This goes beyond “it says beta”

This is my feedback / report on this “beta”. At least it didn’t kill my dog.

2 Likes

I’ve been resisting chiming in here, but this hits the nail on the head for me. I haven’t tried the beta update yet; after seeing the initial reports, I decided there was no way I was going to use my daily-driver on this experiment, given all the super bad outcomes people seem to be experiencing. Successive posts here have validated this decision for me.

I’m frankly very disappointed. This is barely alpha-quality; calling it beta is just simply not accurate. It’s been nearly 2 months since the “beta” release, and I haven’t heard a peep from anyone on the Framework team in this thread about the problems people have been having, nor have I seen an update on if or when a new beta release will come out (that addresses all the issues reported here). Even if we got a new beta, I’d still be very hesitant to try it out. And if they somehow do a final release, I will definitely be waiting several months before installing it.

(Regardless, this update doesn’t seem to fix the aggressive CPU throttling issues I and many others have seen, so I don’t even really see a benefit to updating…)

6 Likes

That’s probably quite wise for anyone without the experience needed to be able to recover from the kinds of bugs likely to be present in a beta-quality firmware release.

Complaing about a beta release having bugs however is disingenuous, because that’s the whole point of a beta release - to find known and unknown bugs, so they can be fixed:

A beta phase generally begins when the software is feature complete but likely to contain several known or unknown bugs.

If anyone is not prepared or equipped to deal with buggy firmware, don’t install it.

4 Likes

Please don’t put words in my mouth. I never said I didn’t expect bugs. What I didn’t expect were bugs this severe, that, in my opinion, should only be present in alpha quality software.

For the record, I do have the experience and skills needed to recover from (most of?) these sorts of bugs, but my problem is with the uncertainty Framework has introduced here. I don’t have confidence that I won’t be hit with something bad enough to put my laptop out of commission for days or more. And that’s my point: the kind of bug that would do that should not be in “beta-quality” software. And it adds insult to injury that the usual option when bugs are bad – downgrade to the most recent known-good version – isn’t an option here.

Further, if Framework considers this “beta quality”, I am skeptical of their ability to eventually give us a high-quality final release. Not to mention that it seems like their approach to community beta testing seems pretty bad: toss a release over the wall and fail to even (publicly) acknowledge the feedback that comes in.

3 Likes

I did in fact deal with it. So, what is the argument again exactly? Simply, don’t say anything ever?

It is perfectly valid to judge a thing on the facts.
It’s perfectly correct to observe that something is broken and say “this is broken”.

Seperately, there is no excuse I can see for this level of problems where aside from my boot loop, people are reporting that their usbc ports actually lose functionality, and this problem goes unaddressed for so long after being reported, and there is no downgrade option. None of that is excused by “beta”.

Framework does not have to rig the firmware so that it can’t be downgraded, and they could at least communicate that they are actually even trying to do anything about the broken usbc ports that can’t be used for their original functions any more. If one of my usbc ports could no longer be used for a monitor I would consider that an immediate warranty issue and mail the whole machine back if they didn’t fix it via software. That’s frankly ridiculous to create that situation and provide no path back out of it.

And I don’t see why my boot-loop went unresponded for so long. They didn’t even ask for more details or suggest how to repair it or provide any sort of guide to the internals of the updater so that the beta tester could attempt to fix it themselves. I only posted here and didn’t submit a support ticket, because in fact I can “handle it” and figured that I would figure something out sooner or later, and it was only a usb drive that I rarely need to boot into, not my main os on the nvme. That all just explains why I didn’t scream bloody murder into the normal support channel. But that is a totally seperate issue from why they didn’t hear a report of a boot loop and jump ALL OVER THAT to figure out how it could even happen and figure out what to tell the user to get them going again, even if only for the self serving cynical PR reason of not looking bad in a public forum, let alone for the sincere reason of caring about their own integrity.

You can’t have it both ways. You can’t say “don’t install a beta if you can’t deal with it” and also withhold the means to “deal with it” by making the software upgrade-only and provide no documentation of the internals.

And yet, despite all that, I, the one who is the one making the complaint you’re attempting to criticize, did in the end deal with it anyway. So, no matter which way you want to try to slice it, your comment is invalid on all levels.

7 Likes