Jan 9 2024
Please note that if you update to 3.06 or higher, you will not be able to downgrade to version lower than 3.06, as it will cause left side ports to stop functioning correctly.
You can check your current BIOS version following the steps here to determine if you are on the latest release.
- Run the .msi.
- If prompted to trust the Framework driver signature, click agree.
- Click yes to reboot.
- Wait for all 3 firmware progress bars to complete as the installer will install 1 or 3 different firmware updates and then reboot into Windows.
Please note that for this platform LVFS will not update the CSME firmware. so we only recommend updating using the EFI updater. This is a limitation of LVFS which does not ship the binary blobs from Intel necessary to update the CSME.
Note: We have removed the EFI update for now until we improve the stability of this update method based on user feedback below.
Note: Occasionally the USB drive will not be recognized after rebooting into step 3/5. Please confirm you reach the last update screen that says update complete. If you do not, unplug replug your flash drive and reboot and press F12 and select your USB flash drive, and the update process will continue.
Note that if you use the EFI shell update with Windows, you should suspend Bitlocker if enabled before updating using the EFI updater.
Instructions for EFI shell update:
- Extract contents of zip folder to a FAT32 formatted USB drive. Cleanly unmount the drive before physically removing it, otherwise the BIOS update may not function correctly.
- Disable secure boot in BIOS.
- Boot your system while pressing F12 and boot from the thumb drive.
- Let startup.nsh run automatically.
- Follow the instructions to install the update.
Example Update screens:
Please note that if you are updating a standalone mainboard with external display connected, the retimer will update, but this will cause your screen to be blank for about 1 minute on the side the retimer is updated on.
Bios Update step:
After the bios update, if you are using a standalone mainboard, Your external monitor may remain blank while the 2nd retimer is updated for about 1 minute. Your system will reboot again.
Update Complete! Press spacebar to boot back into the OS.
This release supports standalone updates without a battery attached only when updating using the EFI shell method only.
|SMM Memory Corruption
|SMM Arbitrary Code Execution
|SMM Memory Corruption
- Add EC host command to check privacy switch status
- Add support for new high capacity 61Wh battery
- Update PD firmware to version v0.1.2C
- Update Intel CSME firmware to 18.104.22.1689v4_A0_Corporate
- Update Intel Microcode to m_80_906a3_00000429
- Optimize PS2 emulation of touchpad (hybrid HID descriptor)
- Adjust power button behavior so the system will be powered off within 10 seconds of holding the power button.
- Standalone mode installation.
- Adjust critical temperature thresholds to allow the laptop to power on at higher ambient temperatures.
- Remove critical battery shutdown when adapter is attached. This will allow the system to power on when the battery is below 2% and charging.
- Fix: Plugging in a USB-A device multiple times would eventually not be recognized anymore
- Fix: Sometimes a USB-C device would not reconnect after reboot
- Optimize Windows Firmware Update process to prevent retimer23 FW upgrade fail in multi firmware update.
- Fix OCP (Overcurrent Protection) on Type-C ports not triggering in some cases
- Reduce power consumption when DisplayPort/HDMI Expansion cards are used
- Improve Type-C port status reporting via UCSI
- Fix: Reading charge limit overwrites charge limit. Fixed by Dustin Howett: Avoid resetting charge_max_level during CHG_LIMIT_GET_LIMIT by DHowett · Pull Request #7 · FrameworkComputer/EmbeddedController · GitHub
- Fix EC failing to boot when compiled with GCC11. This was only seen by users who compile their own EC. As our previous binary releases did not use that compiler.
Fixed by Dustin Howett: mchp: Remove undefined behavior in espi msvw handlers by DHowett · Pull Request #22 · FrameworkComputer/EmbeddedController · GitHub
- Add ACPI Mutext method in UCSI message in/out process
- Fix race-condition that would cause EC to get stuck in rare circumstances (LFW WDT)
This BIOS update is a bundle of updates to multiple embedded components in the system.
Not all of them use the same version number.