13th Gen Intel® Core™ and AMD Ryzen™ 7040 Series join the Framework Laptop 13 family

Unfortunately there will be no PCIe 5.0 for Ryzen 7040 series, only for Ryzen 7045HX. AMD changed their promise: Computerbase (german)
But at the moment the few available PCIe-5.0-SSDs are quite power hungry and need good cooling for full speed so they aren’t a good choice for a laptop anyway.

2 Likes

Im so sad… I finally convinced my SO to let me preorder the Ryzen 5 option but now it is not availble…

Click on the AMD option and select

Oh my bad forgot to mention I was talking about the AMD mainboard. I have 11th gen framework. Batch 3.

Just out of stock
https://frame.work/gb/en/marketplace/mainboards

In practice, that’s not the case. Since there are multiple manufacturers that have been making thin and light laptops w/ Intel and AMD options in the same chassis, we can see the differences in standardized testing. I linked to the reviews a while back here: AMD CPU's, An Open Letter to the Framework Team - #69 by lhl

In summary:

• for the HP 14" Elitebooks with flagship parts, the AMD version had +23% battery runtime and +23% overall performance vs the Intel counterpart.
  • for the Lenovo ThinkPad T14s, despite the Intel part being a nominally “15W TDP” and the AMD being a “28 TDP” part, the AMD version had a +35% battery runtime.

These are pretty huge differences - like a multi-generational gap. While the 7040s haven’t been reviewed yet, AMD claims even better battery life for the 7000 vs 6000 series (makes sense considering Zen 4 has better IPC than Zen 3, and that the 7000 moves from 6nm to 4nm). In comparison, the first reviews of Intel 13th gen P chips have come out and it’s not looking great - the Yoga 9 1360P looks like it has a 16% worse battery runtime than the 1260P version (with only an +8% performance boost and no updates to graphics).

10 Likes

@amoun @Charles_Hill @nadb @lhl thanks for your responses. I look forward to the first reviews and comparisons.

3 Likes

Thunterbold 4 is basically just “USB4 with all optional modes enabled”! Hence, if Framework implements all modes defined by the USB4 standard, you could still use Thunderbold hardware on a Ryzen USB4 port. :wink:

4 Likes

From what I saw in the Framework discord, the Ryzen 7040U models only support up to two USB4 ports natively.

3 Likes

Framework is just so packed with to much awesomeness I can barely contain myself in waiting for this Framework 16 AMD version. With all Framework allows us to develop along-side open source architecture I cant wait for Frore’s AirJet Solid State chip cooling to come out. I bet as soon as these get sold that people will be preplacing the CPU/GPU fans with these.

Man I cant wait for the AMD 4070’s to come out. I’m so freak’in stoked! If this goes the way I think it is then I may get my Corporation to drop their buggy-arss DELL’s for Framework seeing as we have multiple departments, Inside/outside sales, warehouse, ect…
Just buy the base unit and configure in-house as needed instead of ordering batches of DELL every couple of years.

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS TECH, do not sell-out to ANYONE. I think Framework may possibly put the kibosh on much of the industries laptop makers.

5 Likes

@Hugo_Gonzalez It looks like they opened up batch 2 of the amd mainboards in case you’re still interested.

4 Likes

Check now, preorders for Batch 2 of the Ryzen 5 board seem to be available! I was in the same boat as you, though I simply was on edge about ordering for batch 1.

2 Likes

I just placed my order. It is in the (late) Q3 Batch.

My current 12th Gen Intel is great. But I do need a hot backup. The old Dell Latitude that is my current backup will be handed off to someone who needs one.

I struggled with wanting a 16", but the 13" footprint is just too nice for portability. I just switch workspaces to get more screen.

I have looked at many, many options for a hot backup, other than Framework. But the truth is that I love 3 things about Framework:

1. The basic philosophy of upgradeability / expandability
  2. The ability to choose what ports and where they go
  3. Out of the box Linux support (often dubious for a random new laptop)

Framework is how I rid myself of the Apple/Mac ecosystem. I switched cold turkey over a long weekend, and I have zero regrets. My workflows and development environment are much better now that I am 100% Linux all the time.

9 Likes

i gonna stay with my 12 gen for now even if i would like the amd
maybe i will wait for the 14 gen

I’ve only had my 11th gen for 13 months and there’s already a 13th gen. At this rate I’ll be waiting for 21th gen unless I buy backup for fun or fear

5 Likes

So do I. Since my current machine is 11 gen, the RTC issue becomes paramount if I were to switch it to backup role; It would have to stay unplugged for extended periods.

The day FW announces the right fix for this is the day I happily hand over my money for a new AMD machine and get in line/pay to send my 11 gen board in for the fix.

1 Like

Did the new motherboards got a RTC battery or rechargeable?

It’s not a choice between RTC and rechargeable both non rechargeable and rechargeable are used for RTC (Real Time Clock) and CMOS ( Complementary Metal-Oxide Semiconductor)
RTC|CMOS battery

CR1220 Non-rechargagle NOT USED
ML1220 Rechargable USED

@dimitris I understand your concern with the RTC.

But in my mind, a ‘hot backup’ needs to be up to date anyway, so for any hot backup machine, I simply take it our every two weeks on a Sunday, leave it plugged in for 2 hours and update the OS.

That way, if I ever need to use it, it is immediately useful.

And while not needed, I also do a ‘git pull’ on all my repositories as a sanity check that the machine is ready to go.

In contrast to a true replacement machine, I travel with a Chromebook as an emergency backup. It would really suck to have a machine stop working while on a longer trip.

I confess to some level of paranoia - but Andy Grove wrote a book about it.

Good luck with your backup machine. 11th gen Intel is plenty powerful enough to do most work. (Maybe video editing suffers, etc.)

Bluto

2 Likes

Hi @Bluto - no need to “confess” to paranoia, there’s some of that behind my backup strategy :slight_smile:

I guess I’m giving less priority to the “dropped my laptop” failure mode, and more to the “backpack got stolen/airbnb was broken into” one. In that latter case any backup devices would probably get lost at the same time as the primary.

So I think this requires some kind of “remote” storage of the backup, at least when traveling for more than ~ 1 week. Of course I risk some downtime (2-3 days end to end to get trusted third party to overnight backup to me) for this. Anyway, it’s here that the RTC becomes a bit of a showstopper.

BTW, I’m not even sure if plugging into AC for ~ 2h every 2 weeks would actually keep the RTC battery from a long term discharging trajectory.

Re: backups and “freshness”, remote cloud-hosted backup (already in place) should cover this if I have to break the glass. Goes without saying that regular testing of this is required to verify.