15” laptop

I currently use a 15.6" at 3840x2160. It is my preferred choice.
I am thinking about buying the framework. The height of the screen would be the same as now, only the width is 6cm smaller.
Is somebody here using it for coding and can share their experience?

1 Like

Thanks @Xavier_Jiang fot your very valuable and constructive reply (I don t find the reply button).

1 "Dell Precision. dGPU"
=> Very interesting design. My HP pro laptop who had a removable GPU and broke in 12 monthes, was 15 years ago, so its good to see that it might be better today.

2 "vibration or shock can dislodge"
=> that is exactely what happen to my GPU and there was no way to put it back in place. And then you have no Idea if you have to replace the GPU for 300€ or the mother board for 400€ or BOTH 700€ !!! So you trash your PC and go back to regular all soldered PC.
A laptop PC is a very different beast from a desktop, because you are moving it all the time. And chances that connectors get loose is something that has a much higher probability.

3 "Why will the support explode"
=> Support is the biggest concern IMHO for such a device. You and I can troubleshoot a PC. Also most people don t. A friend of mine when I presented the concept of this laptop that you can repaire told me " Why are they making a laptop that can break ?" !!! I mean this person doesn t even understand why she would have to repaire it ! I think we shouldn t discard this kind of comments … lots of persons a borned in a none-reparable consummer world. They are not the early adopters…but we should be able to make them understand the value…
So 1st things 1st : 1st have a very robust build where users DON’t have to repaire ! :smiley: (Another friend of mine bought two PS4 game controler for 10€ they just had to put back in place 2 buttons in a 30 minutes operation with a screw driver!)
I wish framework dGPU would not make it go in the Fairephone 2 land, where people had to repaire their phone much more often than with a regular phone.

4 "And when it’s broken you can at least, replace the broken part with a good part"
=> True I love the essence of this reparability. Here mostely talking about big connectors failures in GPU. Back to point 2 where IMHO you must 1st build a robust thing.

What I personnaly which for Framework is that it can get interest by 25% ish of the market… especially people that are ecologycally aware.
I have 80% of my friends that knows nothing about what is inside a computer but are wishing for a better reparable future.
When those people break their computer lots of time they call a friend like me that has some skills in computers or software for advice…
Now that we have such device as framework, we can just repaire them for friends in maters of minutes! (today at the restaurant I could hear a group of people in their 60s saying “they couldn t update their Mac OS software so they where thinking of buying a computer…and that they will call some friend before to check it”)

1 Like

Apple.

Robustness is not a excuse of having zero repairability, and being modular does not mean it is not robust.

How will vibration dislodge the graphics card when you have 8 screws holding it down (to the metal chassis)?

Framework is a very good example. They are very modular, yet the chassis is very rigid (twist test)

Laptop are all-in-one PCs that you can move around very easily, and use on relative stable surfaces (e.g. passenger train, passenger plane, desk, podium)

If you are going to use it in “A Police Car in Pursuit on a highway with Sirens on and windows down with crew getting ready to shoot”, get a rugged extreme with built-in shock absorbers. That’ not fantasy, either. This is how Panasonic advertise their 90dB laptop speaker modules.

If you are going to put it in a machine shop with metal and wooden or plastic shards flying around, well first of all, don’t get a laptop. Get a PC with passive coolers, and second, don’t put it next to your drill press?

Ay, that stings man, not to trying to be one of those fanatic fanboys but this is far more than a Chromebook!

1 Like

Intel 11th gen … pfft. Even a Intel Pentium Gold (2019) runs World of Tanks for you, 60 fps 1080. 11th gen Core is way more than that!

All chip from AMD have a combined total Thunderbolt port of absolute 0. Zero. Nought.

Framework need 4, so perhaps you can see why.

They literally said “We don’t care about another company’s proprietary connectivity protocol”. No matter how fast/convenient/cool it is to have Thunderbolt.

To be fair Ryzen 6000 will have USB 4.0. Type C ports don’t have to use thunderbolt. Yes Thunderbolt is proprietary, but both USB 4.0 and Thunderbolt 4 support 40 GB/s. Framework doesn’t need Thunderbolt. It just works nicely with E-GPUs.

1 Like

They don’t need thunderbolt, but they need each and every of the 4 ports to do Display Alt Mode with Power Delivery as well as USB (at least 3.0) speeds because they must need all of their connector modules to work on every single port.

Thunderbolt does power and display, so while it is possible to fiddle with display backfeed and independently MUX input and output power on each of the four ports it’s much easier to implement said features on an Intel chip since it have baked in support for signal and FETs to receive and send power isn’t difficult to get.

And Ryzen 6000 had just begun appearing on the horizon yet. When it will get here, I dont know.

4 Likes

I don’t know why you are replaying to that old of a post. I could care less if they have better options now. I did not see anything that would make it worth buying unless i bought and waited years for a setup that I could try to game with. At the time and guessing its the same its not a laptop that can do anything more than a chromebook.

Dear @Xavier_Jiang ,
No need to be agressive on this forum. Just trying to warn that having a bigger card in there and moving this laptop every day make it much more prone to failure.
I am just saying it happened to me on a “pro” model and apparentely you had to screw back the GPU on your laptop too.
So avoiding such a situation IMHO is important.
I am not a laptop engineer, sor I don t know “why” this happen… I just know it does happen :wink:
Not much more to state here for me. I am leaving. Hopping the 15" model will be robust. In any case I will not take the GPU option until a V2 is out.
Have a nice day.

1 Like

Oh I apologize. I am just maybe a bit upset because what you mentioned feel like completely wrong.

Everything happens. Which is why it is not responsible to solder things down and call it a “pro” because there is no way you will fix that. You can say that with a HotAir rework station anything is “repairable”, but one of those easily cost you north of $200 and require tremendous skill and accuracy.
Yes, you can get those $50 units and they will do the job, but they will hardly last for more than a month? And it’s dangerous (it can potentially melt itself while you are holding it)?
Yes, that one is grossly overpriced. But hey, this is amazon. Not … I don’t know.

And imagine the downtime for such a machine, compared to one with modules and connectors. Yes, they will get loose and connections might randomly fail, but it takes like what, 10 minute to reseat it?

2 Likes

Far too many posts to read, even the summary.
All aspects of the present DIY model fine, but a larger screen would be my FIRST choice.
I have not looked at WiFi connected screens as yet but that would seem like a useful idea, esp if they were roll-up (I wish).
Basic adapter for wired Ethernet works fine, not pushing a make but next day delivery in the UK gets one that works at Gigabit speeds. Speed of the PC really makes a top end difference, 800+ Mbps on i3 desktop vs 900+ on i7 Framework.

I still support an Ethernet module by Framework, and why not have an adapter to get over the size (depth) problem of an RJ-45 connector as this is what you have on existing USB-C to RJ-45
as I have right now. This would leave space for other improvements, the reason then I would but an adapter from Framework to augment my basic (but still Gigabit) USB-C device.

Regards…

Ethernet is being worked on by me, with funding from framework.

5 Likes

Personally I would be fine with being able to take the motherboard and such out of my 13" model and transplanting them into the 15" model. I feel like that would allow the team at Framework to give us better speakers, better battery life and perhaps better cooling.

1 Like

While for those waiting for something that may not happen . . .

1 Like

It’s really simple - a numpad throws the entire keyboard off-center.

7 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I suppose for those that use a lot of numbers, the ‘common’ keyboard being off centre is acceptable

1 Like

For me, for numeric data entry, like when logging a month’s worth of Blood Pressure and Blood Glucose readings, a numeric keypad is way more efficient than using the top row of a keyboard. So, out comes the Logitech full size wireless.

4 Likes

I have said/proposed earlier not to have keyboard discussions as the keyboard/palmrest is easily replaceable/customizable. Framework can simply make 2 versions of the 15 inch palmrest, one using 60% keyboard and the other using the 95% (98 key or something) keyboard.
Anyhow. Vote.

• Nay Numpad – What is Numlock
  • Yay Numpad – I punch numbers

0 voters

Speaking of numlock. Please add an indicator LED to show the state (of numlock). otherwise it is going to induce so many confusion & chaos,.

4 Likes

Yes, it is. The screen size is very important in laptops. The bigger screen allows you to watch movies, play games and browse social media sites. The bigger the screen size, the better the resolution. The 15-inch laptop screen has a resolution of 1920*1080. It is one of the best resolutions for laptops.

Hi John and welcome to the forum

Your post raises a few points

Well the screen size doesn’t effect that, people do that with their mobile phones. The advantage may be that you can keep the screen further away, so that was an odd statement.

Screen size is not related to resolution. My 27" monitor has 1920 x 1080 and the framework is a quarter of that at 13.5" yet 2256 x 1504 so the resolution on the Framework is massively ‘better’

So given what I have just written, unless you have a very old laptop with very low resolution, then your assessment won’t stand up to experience, let alone logic. :curly_loop:

6 Likes