16 Core CPU... AMD Mobile at CES 2023

Okay, I’m not begging for an AMD mainboard, just putting this here because I found it interesting…

(Credit to Monica Chin)

Okay, so already seeing more improvement compared to Intel, Max total cache across all cpus in 2023 higher, more total cores, smaller chips… And the Rembrandt chips support USB4, so something to help with Framework…

Just interesting to compare the improvement of AMD compared to Intel, that’s all…

2 Likes

Even if Framework were to add AMD offerings to the laptop, the only subset you’d get would be the Phoenix CPUs, which are limited to 8 cores. This is due to power draw and cooling, however I find this to be a postive point as the Phoenix APUs deliver RDNA3 integrated graphics, as well as the new Ryzen Neural Engine which seems very promising!
That statistic of 30 hours on video playback is also pretty insane…

Interesting article though!

3 Likes

@Shiroudan Ohhh yeah, I forgot to take the thickness into account… But I would definitely still be happy with the Phoenix one too! And RDNA 3 would be AMAZING… But only if Framework is reaching out to AMD…

1 Like

I think it would be the reverse, more if would AMD respond or bother with Framework.

But wow, AMD is following Intel with something similar with HX series and improving it with RDNA3. Though we might get something similar to Desktops or slightly better than desktops like the 7000 series though.

2 Likes

@Jieren_Zheng That would be amazing if we end up with Desktop-Quality chips in the laptop form-factor!

If I am not wrong Intel HX mobile chips are kinda the same die but scaled down in power I think.

We also had some Clevo (?) laptops where they have a desktop CPU socket in a laptop sometime back.

Definitely possible, just how thick that laptop will become and what trade-offs do we have :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Jieren_Zheng Ah, I wasn’t entirely sure about that, I hadn’t researched the HX chips extensively admittedly, but that makes sense, a laptop hopefully wouldn’t use as much power as a Desktop…
Yeah, it really does depend on how much thickness people are willing to sacrifice for more power…

1 Like

Actually I am wondering, unless Intel really get their things together, I wonder if Intel will make chips for AMD. They seem to be struggling with their foundries and manufacturing process too sigh.

CES today really showed Intel being beaten down by all fronts for performance and AMD hasn’t released Threadrippers and all.

1 Like

Doesn’t seem likely honestly given the power versus energy that Framework seems to be working towards. Let’s not forget the current i7 offerings (12th gen) are offering 20 threads that improve on the power envelope the 11th gens were offering. Couple this with official thunderbolt 4 certification and the Intel mainboards have a lot more going for them than is often mentioned here.

That said I would love to see an AMD option from Framework, but I’m very happy with my fully supported Linux powered Framework 11 and 12th gen laptops.

1 Like

@2disbetter Honestly I would be happier with my i5 if Intel fixed their Integrated Graphics, including their Drivers. I know a eGPU is an option for people who have the equipment for it, but seeing what AMD can do with their APU, as someone who likes to play games on their laptop it would be nice to have that option… and honestly I wouldn’t want to stay plugged into a eGPU just to play games, but that may be the only option for more serious gaming for a while…

I dont’ know, I’m not gaming with a dozen triple As or anything but I have not had any issue with gaming on mine. I am mainly playing indie titles, but I also play Eve Online, and a bunch of the Fallout 3 and 4 games. They all work great.

2 Likes

@2disbetter Honestly I just realized I may be projecting my frustration with trying to get one of my games working right now on this announcement…

1 Like

Okay, I’m not begging for an AMD mainboard […]

Well, you don’t, but I do :grinning:. A Ryzen board is really far up on my top list of wishes for 2023. Would buy instantly. Just sayin’…

1 Like

@F_Behrens (Honestly I kinda am too, I just know that people get mad/frustrated when people ask Framework for an AMD board a lot…)

2 Likes

Now we have Ryzen 7040(U)!

1 Like