AMD Ryzen 8040 releasing 2024 Q1, with bug fixes and 60% faster AI/NPU

Looks like it is identical in clock speed and core counts to the 7040 series (ie: 7940HS, 7840HS) that are in the Framework 16. Maybe better thermals (or just better binning). The boost to the NPU will be nice, but also niche to AI workloads.

Makes me wonder what the bug fixes are, and which ones are hardware only versus ones we might expect to be back ported to the 7040 in updated firmware (if AMD ever gets their software side in order).

I am curious if Framework will switch to these at some point middle of next year? The 7040 is basically a year old now.

4 Likes
15 Likes

Being a year out of date doesn’t have to mean too much. If Ryzen 8000, at least on the mobile side, ends up looking like 14th gen Intel then we won’t be missing much, but that is speculative. The onboard GPU looks like it is still using RDNA3. Looking at the 8X40HS vs the 8X45HS It looks like they might be segmenting the platform into thermal/power limits, most likely refining binning, instead of leaving it up to partners to tune which has its up and down sides. Maybe less market confusion for customers, but it probably means AMD will be charging a bit more for 8X45HS which are about equivalent to previous 7X40HS while the new baseline 8X40HS will be more power efficient but with less performance.

More like half a year. Regardless, still pretty dang new.

2 Likes

Last time I tried to get a bleeding edge ryzen embedded motherboard from ASRock for my server, I waited a complete year because the CPU’s were not available (except the samples they needed).
Even if AMD announces the CPU’s, it does not mean they will be available in the next 6 months …
I’ll be happy when I get my 7040 :slight_smile:

@DHowett - “we don’t have any current plans to update to Ryzen 8040 Series. The updates from Ryzen 7040 are too minor to justify launching a new Mainboard generation.”

Two observations:

• Your plans may need to consider that AMD will stop production of the Ryzen 7000 series very soon (unless they already did it), and focus on the 8000 series.
  • There should be no need to launch a new motherboard generation. I guess the current ones are perfectly compatible with Ryzen 8000.

So, it could be even possible that the Framework 16 I ordered last October, to be built in Q2, could have a Ryzen 8000 inside… :wink:

I don’t know if you are right. There are still a lot of Ryzen 6000 Laptops in the market.

So if framework says they skip this generation, then they literally mean exactly this. So the next upgrade is the 8000 successor.

1 Like

Sorry, I was just passing on a link to a post by the CEO. I am just a community member and I am not involved in planning Framework’s product roadmap. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m also not really qualified to answer, but CPU vendors usually announce end of production on CPUs way ahead of time. If framework wants to order new 7040 cpus, they’ll probably still have years to do so. Otherwise manufacturers would have a hard time keeping products on the shelve.

1 Like

Check in to some announcement coverage and you’ll see there are tweaks but this is merely a refresh. The one big difference, which I’ve yet to see anything using anyways, was the dedicated Xilinx AI core is typically disabled on 7040’s. Clocks are the same, CPU core (with minor tweaks) is still Zen 4, GPU is still 780M.

AMD mobile naming scheme has the first digit, 7 for us and 8 for the newly announced parts, standing for the product year. The third digit, 4 for both ours and the 8000 refreshes announced, stands for the core architecture Zen 4. This isn’t the difference between Radeon 6000 and 7000 or RTX 3000 and 4000.

Calm yourselves.

5 Likes

You seriously think this? If this really was the case then no PC/Laptop manufacturer would get product to market as a new CPU would come along before they have even finished the development cycle on the existing product.

@DominikH: “There are still a lot of Ryzen 6000 Laptops in the market.”

Those are old, unsold, laptops. If a company wants to design a new laptop, they cannot rely on previous generation components, because the number of those will be limited to what is left in stock. And the components producer (AMD in this case) has no reason/capability to produce different components generations at the same time.

I’d say the Framework people have shown to be very competent and have a lot more relevant information then any of us have. So maybe just let them do their thing?

7 Likes

@Alan_Pearce:

• When a new CPU model is released, PC builders do not have to start from scratch. They only need to apply some modifications, which are proportional to how innovative the new CPU is. In the case of Ryzen 7000 → 8000 transition, I would guess motherboards only need a BIOS update.
  • PC manufacturers obtain the new CPU specs (under Non Disclosure Agreements) long before the CPUs are available, so they have all the time to design their new hardware (if needed) tailored to the new processor.

I think these arguments lead nowhere. We would need conclusive proof of either AMD saying, that they have no stopped all production of 7040 CPUs, or historical data of them stopping production soon after launching a new product series.

I’ve only ever heard of intel discontinuing products and it was always followed by a date until last orders would be accepted (i.e. before the last production run if that was necessary). I’m sure AMD does this similarly, for product planning purposes.

2 Likes

That’s making the large assumption that AMD have stopped production of 7040 series - which is inaccurate.

Intel carried on making 486 chips until 2007!

3 Likes