28W CPU under combined load

I know the site mentions that the Framework Laptop’s cooling solution can sustain 28W processor load. However can it also sustain that wattage under combined CPU + GPU load (i.e. gaming)?

If so, this would put it up against the top-performing Tiger Lake iGPU laptops out now (e.g. Prestige 14 (36W), Summit E13 (34W), ThinkPad X1 Yoga (25W), Razer Book 13 (20W), etc.) wrt gaming capabilities.

Excited to even see wattages in the marketing material, as most manufacturers crucially mess this up for ultrabooks.

1 Like

I would like to know too @feesh. Bump

Same, pretty excited for this laptop. I would buy one but I’m a poor boi.

Sustained at 28W is no problem.
And we are not hitting the package thermal limits, so there is plenty of margin in the cooling system even at 28W sustained.

11 Likes

Awesome!! Makes me beyond excited for my day 1 preorder

edit: One thing to note is the screenshots I posted are with Prime95+FurMark running simultaneously…for an hour :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was wondering the same thing. I’d love to see some performance figures between the different CPUs on that 28 watts. Especially since the i7 has more cache and tends to run hotter than the i5.

Any info available on this?

2 Likes

So if 28W is not at the themal limits of the package, can those limits be increased with ThrottleStop?

I have an older laptoo that has been designed for 15W, but after removing the power and thermal limits, I can make it sustain about 24W with no problems.

@Claudiu_Corbea In theory yes, in practice you’ll need to trial-and-error to avoid thermal shutdowns and overheating VRMs. 28W is already very high for these ULV processors. I’m guessing it wouldn’t be able to sustain 35W for any significant amount of time. Someone should definitely try it tho :wink:

ThrottleStop doesn’t work on all laptops, some are “immune” to thermal unlocking.

If Frame.work is one of the lucky ones that work with ThrottleStop, it would be good to find out the thermal limits of the package and there isn’t much trial and error involved for the Thermal limits, just set higher limits and run some Prime/Cinebench. Definitely worth trying out and see what this laptop can really do.

Also, I find that thermal pads over the VRMs help in other laptops, the limits can go higher with a little bit of thermal pad modding.

Yeah unfortunately I’ve experienced that “immunity” first-hand trying to Throttlestop an X1 Carbon Gen 9 to run higher than 15W. I eventually got it by disabling the Lenovo software and Intel DPTF. However by trial-and-error I found that it would thermal shut down at around 20-22W :frowning:

I forget in what post but I vaguely recall @Kieran_Levin mentioning that they haven’t locked everything down wrt PL behavior. So ThrottleStop PLs should work (but since it’s Intel Tiger Lake CPUs, no undervolting, unfortunately).

Has anyone checked what VRMs are build onto the framework laptop and with how many phases we are working with?