3D Printing Parts

Will the models for the laptop be released to the community so that we can design and print our own parts for the laptop?

2 Likes

We’ll be releasing reference designs for Expansion Cards, with some easy to print CAD. None of the rest of the parts of the machine are especially printable though (we’ve tried…).

3 Likes

Somebody who is truly dedicated to printing hard-to-print parts (i.e., way more dedicated to 3d printing than me!) needs to take their DIY kit to a 3D scanning service before asembling it. :slight_smile: P.S. Don’t forget to have some kind of good luck charm in your pocket.

1 Like

I’d also be interested in CAD drawings for the whole laptop to explore custom chassis designs. Would your team be willing to provide them? I suppose a custom chassis could be designed from the ground up around the motherboard if drawings cannot be made available.

6 Likes

Strongly want to repeat Jernstrom’s request. I love everything about this laptop, but would love to have a different chassis for any number of modifications that smarter people will eventually figure out!

1 Like

Can we bump this? I really want a 3d model to design some double slot expansion cards. Imagine having 4 or more usb-a ports with a usb-c passthrough for the second port/slot

I would also like to design a case for the laptop. A 3d model would be nice so I don’t have to create one myself.

2 Likes

I sent a request for the CAD for the case of the framework laptop. If they don’t want to provide it, I’m willing to get it scanned and have cad files created. I’m looking to have clear cases made for it. Anyone else interested in see through case for the framework?

7 Likes

It would be really nice if it had an extended battery option.

I realize that 3D printing a new chasis may not be feasible. It’s more that I want to design something new thats compaitble with the framework parts and chasis.

1 Like

Hello there.
I am also interested in a see through case for the Framework laptop, or more generally, the ability to experiment with the case CAD files.

Any luck on getting some 3D printable files ?

Has anyone here managed to get the case and parts scanned?

1 Like