96gb Ram for Framework 16

if you can find a 2x64 SODIMM kit, there are plenty of people in these forums who would love to hear about it. myself included.

re: the 2x48 and utility thereof, i would have done it even on the fw13, because i have a tendency to keep slow-to-initialize large processes resident that aren’t all actively consuming substantial cpu at once. not having to e.g. constantly spin up/shut down VMs is nice when you can just go “here, have a few chips that are just yours, i’ll get to you when it’s time”

2 Likes

so im going to be that guy and revive this rather than spin up an Very similar topic. has anyone gone to 96GB Ram on the 16 and 16 only (I know it has been done on the 13 but this is focused to the 16) asking as i need to order memory soon and just curious.

if you have 96 GB what brand did you get? any issues? what OS are you running?

I plan on running Windows 11 Pro on mine.

2 Likes

And is it impossible to derive the information from this thread?

1 Like

Edits for rephrasing

To be fair here, their question seems to be a bit more than if you are plan on running 96 gb, but
specific instances of people actually using 96 gb on the FW16, and the following extra information:

Of course, while we can assume that 96gb should work, given that the cpus in the AMD 13 and the 16 are quite similar, the answer to their several questions doesn’t seem to be in that thread (it was a survey thread after all)

After check the knowledge base, the FW16 does have an officially tested kit of 48gb sticks (96gb with 2 sticks) that is confirmed to work, although other 96gb sticks may work (they just aren’t confirmed by Framework)

The knowledge base article is here

2 Likes

You may have to be the Guinea pig. Not that many have a FW16 at this point.

Also, attitude generally doesn’t encourage others to offer help, if someone did have experience with 96GB on the 16, it may cause them to ignore you.

2 Likes

Not meaning to show attitude just stating i would like to konw/verify if people have had success/any weird issues Specifically with the 16.
i have rephrased it.

The knowledge base article is here

i have seen they validated with limited use.

And is it impossible to derive the information from this thread?

Haven’t seen a single its working or not just what people plan on buying or have bought.

The Crucial 2x48GB kit (I got mine on Amazon) works for my Ubuntu 22.04 install. I haven’t run a MemTest86 test (yet), but I’ve had no stability issues whatsoever.

3 Likes

This is an interesting thread for me as I am considering the 96gb crucial kit as well.
I am interested to see peoples experiences across the various operating systems.

The Crucial 2x48GB is running well on my 16 7940HS since Monday (although first power on would only post with 1 stick - then reinstalling 2nd stick worked fine subsequently) - no further issues/instability. That kit worked fine for a month in my 13 7840U too (which I’ve now dropped back to the Kingston 2x32GB).

5 Likes

I’ve had the Mushkin 96gb kit for AMD 13 for around 4 months. Maybe once a month it willl crash with the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (bugcheck 0x124) which is I believe apparently often (although not always) a memory issue. Rare enough that it’s hard to test and whether it’s related to the RAM capacity is unclear. (On Windows 10 LTSC)

I’m running Crucial 96GB (2*48GB), and it detected both on first boot. Has been working for a week now without any BSOD W11.
Edit: clarity

6 Likes

What does “limited validation” mean? It is written “OK” as well, just curious to what extent it is then “limited”.

it means “amd says this isn’t actually supported, so even though it works we can’t actually promise you it works”

Well, given the product is so very new, this is probably fine. But I hope someone at some point has real confidence that a 2024 notebook from Framework can handle crucial RAM… :wink:

Thats what im eyeballing…

the point is, amd has chosen not to officially support 24g and 48g modules. framework, in turn, cannot take on the promise that it will work. they’re too small of a company to take on that obligation

1 Like

No, no, my point is about those currently listed, so 8, 16, 32, etc…

I’d run a couple of rounds of memtest86+ on that. Not unlikely that you have a bad stick of RAM if you get a semi-regular crash with that sort of error.

It’s working fine for me so far from the first boot with Ubuntu. Bought Crucial RAM 96GB Kit (2x48GB) DDR5 5600MT/s) Laptop Memory CT2K48G56C46S5 off of Amazon.

1 Like

Great! That’s the kit I’ll be getting myself. Ordering in a day or two, since I’m traveling this week and don’t want to have something like this delivered while I’m not home to receive.