AMD Batch 2 Guild

Yeah, unfortunately I regularly check my spam and just checked it again and don’t have anything new from FW. I’m guessing that something in my order might be temporarily out of stock, not sure what else would cause the delay.

According to the poll, 2/3 of orders are not charge yet. I would be curious to know if the order charged and shipped are for Ryzen 7 or Ryzen 5. My order for DIY Ryzen 5 was confirmed on March 29th and I have not been charged yet.

1 Like

Mine’s a ryzen 7 and I’ve gotten charged and shipped.

You probably just have a configuration, where not all parts are ready yet. The batch can last for quite a while and people from later batches might get their order before you, if all the components are ready for them earlier. No need to be concerned usually.

Same here, I hope I get charged this week. Fingers crossed.

And… mine clicks, almost like it has an old broken 2.5" mechanical HDD.

This old thread mentions a similar issue, from over 2 years ago. You’d think they’d have figured it out by now…

I’m not sure if it’s the fan or not, although I do hear the fan spinning up and down as if the designers never heard of this thing called, “hysteresis.”

How hard is it to make the fan behave? I wouldn’t even mind if it keeps running at some min speed even if the CPU temp goes to 0 Kelvin! I don’t even like the 0-RPM fan behavior on my desktop GPU, so I always disable it (thank God AMD Adrenaline has built-in functionality to disable it).

7840U DIY with 32gb (2x16) ram, black/gray bezels, 5 USB c and 2 USB A modules. Ordered March 29th. Charged last night. Shipping label created so I expect to get official shipping notification soon.

Very excited. I’ll be swapping from an old Thinkpad A485 (Ryzen 7 Pro 2700u). It’s been a great machine minus dock support, but it’s starting to show its age. My wife has the 13th gen Intel Framework and I’ve been jealous ever since.

I mostly use Windows, but I’ve considered switching to Linux as my other main machine is a Steam Deck. I have a 256gb expansion module that I can try dual booting from. I just need to find a distro similar enough to that of the Steam Deck (Manjaro?)

I also use a Caldigit TS4 dock with a 4k/120 display (HDMI :frowning: ). I’ll find and update the appropriate threads with compatibility if someone else hasn’t already done so.

EDIT: I also already have a dbrand skin waiting. It’s going to take some real control not to install it right away. I’m going to try and give it two weeks to make sure it’s all solid/no RMA.

Y’all lucky, getting your systems early. I’m getting mine today, wholly on time. Jokes aside, I can’t wait to get the thing together and booting.

Ordered mine March 25th and got it Friday. Wanted to play with it then but I had a ton of stuff going on and needed to go out and buy a new SSD; I had 1TB SSD’s in stock but only NVMe gen 3 so wanted a gen 4 device. Grabbed a Crucial P5 on Saturday before I realized it had the heatsink… so pulled that off and got to work.

Put Ubuntu 22.04 on it and the experience has been… OK. BIOS 3.02 for the record. The AMD iGPU has problems resetting at random, and under load the mouse pointer gets glitchy… thankfully most of the time I won’t be pushing this all that hard. Tried Xorg instead of Wayland and it’s even more unreliable. Looking forward to that 3.03 release to hopefully get some of these issues ironed out. Had to enable fractional scaling on the monitor because 200% looked like a Fisher-Price toy, and 100% is just hovering on the edge of too small to read comfortably. Still trying to find that sweet spot.

I did have one even of the SSD disappearing after I had installed the OS… I opened the machine up and reseated it and it’s been fine ever since, but keeping my eye on it anyway. A bit worried about heat issues but might pick up some low profile heatsinks that’ll fit in that tiny space and see if it eases the issue. Not seeing any heat problems at the moment though but I’m not using it nearly as heavily since I transferred all of my data onto it.

Despite all those teething issues (and yes, I am an early adopter and obviously a bit of a “maverick” with the OS choice) the laptop is brilliant. Runs quick and I’ve had zero issues with getting it to do what I want. The quality of the system is amazing, easily on par with my previous laptop of choice the Dell Latitude line of 13-15" laptops. The keyboard is a little plasticky but has nice longish travel and is comfortable to type on. The screen is absolutely gorgeous and the color gamut is brilliantly good. I also love the hardware buttons on the camera and mic… I can watch them disconnect and reconnect in DMESG as I switch them on and off… so nice to actually have a hardware disconnect in-line instead of software. Generally the whole system runs quiet, quick and cool.

All in all very happy with my purchase, and looking forward to getting the last glitches resolved. I’m still pushing it into being my daily driver starting today (typing on it right now) despite the occasional glitches I’m encountering.

2 Likes

I am also in batch 2 and did not even receive the mail that says they are preparing to ship my order.

As someone else said maybe there is some item in the order not ready yet.

For example I have ordered the Ryzen 7 DIY laptop with 2 USB-C cards, 1 USB-A card and 1 HDMI card. No RAM, SSD or charger. Do you have a similar configuration?

Ordered March 31st havent been charged yet; they’re working through the batch gotta give it time.
Although, if anyone is gonna be delayed I’ll be one, went with the “I don’t want to wonder” thought so essentially have one of each card, so once I ship then you can start wondering since I’m in the last days of the batch and essentially every card, til then don’t worry :3

I have the same config but with an extra USB A card and RAM included, and received it today. No idea if it’s the config or if you’re just unlucky. I suspect they’ll ship more machines this week.

I got the board last week but Ubuntu is buggy and unusable. Fedora Workstation is buggy as well and it can’t login directly to wayland. For now I’m using KDE Arch and so far is been OK. Not a fan of KDE but it seems it is the most stable desktop env for now until new BIOS come out.

5 USB-C modules??

My TS4 dock cable is only about 2.6f/0.8m long, but my laptop is like 3ft/0.9m away. I’m going to ‘human centipede’ them all together to cover the extra distance.

Or it’s because I didn’t order enough when I bought my wife’s FW13.

8 Likes

I am in favor of the first option.

6 Likes

I’ll use Alpine Edge.

I got charged yesterday!

Ryzen 5

Order date Apr 10 2023

1 Like

i’m going to start with Fedora, then after a few weeks openSUSE tw, then after that I’ll try either endeavorOS or vanilla Arch.

I’m hoping to use Pop with it (as that’s the distro I’m most familiar with). First, however, I need to pick up a HD as I neglected to order one with the laptop.

I can’t use the one on the machine I’m using as I’m handing it over to a family member for their use.

EDIT: My laptop arrived today!

1 Like

Just got charged for the Ryzen 5. Order date: 29th March