AMD Batch 2 Guild

If you check in the orders page, it should tell you what batch you’re in.

Yup I know I am in batch 2, more curious if I was also close to the beginning of it like Yammikins is. Probably meaningless but fun to make shipping predictions.

No ones knows but it doesn’t matter if you’re at the beginning or end. Framework only ships out a batch when they have sufficient inventory. It’s more so affected by if you’re buying the laptop or just the mainboard.

My order placed @ March 25, 9pm UTC

Why is that surprising?

Lots of people will already have plenty of pd chargers and the framework one is a bit pricy for what it is and in a form-factor not everyone likes and storage just tends to be no problem with compatibility and there is a lot of variety(and a lot of people probably have some they can reuse).

Also looking at the p44 pro but they seem to be kinda hard to get where I am. Might just use some random ssd I have laying around in the meantime.

3 Likes

Friction, I figured the majority would choose the path of least resistance. I didn’t account for the fact that I’m conversing with hardcore enthusiasts :grin:

I had planned to do this until the bottom fell out on NAND pricing. I got mine on sale for 29.99! Couldn’t turn that down.

2 Likes

After thinking about it some, I went with USB-C (passthrough) only, except for Ethernet. No USB-A, and no HDMI/DisplayPort.

I actually have USB-C → DisplayPort and USB-C → HDMI cables by CableMatters. I assume the C->DP cable will work fine. HDMI might be a bit more questionable, but it’s no big deal to me if it doesn’t work. As for old USB-A devices, I picked up a 2-pack of Anker USB-C (Male) USB 3.0 (Female) adapters. Otherwise, I also have a little USB-C hub that gives me four USB-A ports. Keeping it uniform, I guess.

Waiting patiently are 2TB P31 Gold and Crucial 16G+16G 5600MT kit (yeah the cheap one).

Baseus 65Wish charger (35€ iirc) and a 2TB Samsung 980 PRO (130€) are waiting here for their destination.

My main motivation was the money saved. For both charger and SSD, I could get the same value for about half the price.

I’m reusing the charger of my dead Lenovo laptop. In contrast to the soldered RAM of that two-year-old laptop, the charger is not dead :upside_down_face:

I am also reusing its SSD.

They are preparing the batch! It’s happening!

3 Likes

Finally got the notification!

3 Likes

Batch 2 is starting to ship, I just got the email

11 Likes

Similarly, for slightly less than the price Framework charges for the 1TB WD 850X and 32GB of RAM, I was able to get a 2TB Hynix P41 (on Prime Day) and 64GB of CL40 5600 RAM.

I actually had originally planned on sticking with ordering from Framework just to make it easier, but prices have dropped so much since April that I switched.

And for chargers, I’ve got a ton of PD chargers already.

1 Like

Me too!

Although it did say it would ship between 1-4 weeks…

3 Likes

Its happening!! Now to get my hopes up every time my email notifications go off for the next few weeks.

2 Likes

My status changed to Pre order placed!! (And I just found my email too)

5 Likes

So looks like mid-november at the latest for batch 2.

Like a lot of others, I already have a USB-C PD 60W+ charger ( this one : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B083LK6KMV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) - this sits behind the sofa for our phones already, so simply don’t need another one for the laptop, which from the reviews should have >2 day battery life unless I’m gaming.

I got the Framework storage built in though, just to reduce the hassle factor. I know it’ll work, and modern storage options M.2 etc etc are still new to me so not 100% sure I’d be able to by myself a compatible one. Don’t mind too much if FW nickle and dime me on that a bit.

2 Likes

Excitedly awaiting my order update! Replacing an older Surface Book 2 that feels slower day by day.

I’m normally a Samsung SSD guy, but after reading some in-depth reviews, I’m going for the SK Hynix Gold P31. I’m not going to notice the difference in transferring data at multiple gigabits per second, but will I notice a few minutes of extra battery life? Honestly, no idea, but probably? :stuck_out_tongue:

The Power Management page is enlightening.

3 Likes

Did someone post a poll in this thread so we can track those who’ve been charged, etc like they did in the Batch 1 Guild?

Man, now that we are so close im real excited. I ordered a DIY 7640u to replace a used Dell XPS 9360 I got from my old workplace when my surface died. I taking my 1 tb SN770 from my current laptop and using a single stick of 32gb ram I came into.

Man, going from a 2 core 7th gen cpu and 16gb of ddr3 ram, to a 6 core Zen 4 cpu and 32gb of ddr5 ram.

5 Likes