AMD Batch 2 Guild

I’ll also be using Arch. From what I’ve seen so far, most people running Arch seem to have a relatively smooth run.

Ubuntu, as late as FW support, which seems to be 22.04 LTS - until the BIOS/Kernel stuff is all sorted out, it’s more trouble than worth to try something unsupported.

I’ll be transferring the Arch installation from my old XPS 13. Will have to tweak the configuration a bit afterwards but it should work just fine.

Upgrading from a 9360 like a few other people here. It was a good machine, but it’s too slow nowadays for software development.

I’ve got an HP elitebook 745 G6 right now. It’s working, but barely. I’m an engineering student, could have gotten the 16 but a bit too late for that, and either way the software I use (fusion 360) isn’t really GPU dependent, it really needs CPU horsepower. I think the 7840u will really fit the bill better than my PRO 3700u (so it’s only got 4 cores 8 threads, bleh). If my mental math is right, the batch prepared email went out friday, so depending on what they consider a business day, payment should go through either today or tomorrow. I am extremely excited to get my new laptop, it’s becoming more of a need than a want lol.

2 Likes

That’s at least Zen-based. My fastest notebook at the moment is an Elitebook 725 G3. It’s a freakin’ A12-8800B (Carrizo). Feel free to laugh out loud at this point. LOL

Funny enough, I also have an old Lenovo X120e (Bobcat), which is fine for what it is, as a dumb terminal like thing.

1 Like

Just got charged!

Payment complete!

We’ve successfully charged the remaining balance of $999.49 to your payment method.

Honestly surprised that they’re shipping my mainboard out so quickly. I honestly thought they would have prioritized laptops first.

5 Likes

Me too.

4 Likes

Yep, I was charged as well. Full Ryzen 7 laptop in my case.

3 Likes

I got the email a moment ago & saw the payment go through on my card.

I am exited and waiting for the shipping notice/tracking code!

3 Likes

I also got charged for a 7840U mainboard, but somehow on an old debit card that has since been cancelled? I updated my payment method in the settings page too so it’s really weird that it tried to charge the old one, let alone that it was successful. Not a huge deal overall, just thought it was a bit strange.

5 Likes

still waiting on my charge, but I was right it’s happening today, very excited.

I’ve just gained another doubt about Framework as a company as a whole.

I received an email from them telling me they couldn’t charge my card.
And the email includes the last 4 digits of the credit card, and it’s an old card number. Long time ago, there was a fraudulent activity on it, so I had it replaced. I immediately UPDATED the Framework’s Payment Methods page with the new card. I just went there again, and it’s showing the correct new card with a different last 4 digits. And it’s the only card, so it’s the Default. The page says, “Updating your default payment method will also update the payment method of any unpaid pre-orders.”

Well, that was a lie, since they tried to charge the old card I used to pay the initial $100.

It did give me a link to pay immediately, so I did. And now, my “Saved Payment Methods” page shows two cards, with the same card number! Pressing the “Set as default” doesn’t do anything, likely because the information is the same on both!!!

Maybe it’s a little thing, but these things grind my sanity, and make me question the whole thing.

It might just be a system bug. There’s no need to freak out, just contact Support.

5 Likes

same, Firefox 116 on Linux

The same thing happened to me. It tried to charge an old card that is not available despite having updated it. It seems like a backend issue with how they are updating payment methods. Wish I had sent a support ticket when I saw this strange behavior maybe it could have been fixed.

1 Like

It’s more likely that as a smaller company Framework will outsource it’s billing to a third party, and that third party integrates with framework. So there is a chance that when you update the card it doesn’t automatically update very quickly cause of response times from the third party server.

Maybe, but usually, it’s not nearly that slow. This happened to me over a week ago and the payment was never updated on the order itself, it was still reflecting the old card, despite the new one being on my account under Saved Payment Methods. I just thought it would default to payment reflected on my account, but that did not happen and the email still showed the old payment card.

Edit: Also pretty much every company no matter the size uses a third-party payment processor, because trying to DIY with all the various banking, security, laws, and standards across the world is a royal PIA.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I updated the card info in late June, so almost 4 months ago. Slow isn’t the problem.

You’re right in that, it’s possible for the billing to be done by another company. I do have an experience dealing with a great company whose billing was handled by a crappy company.

Of course, I don’t know if the billing is indeed done by another company. And even if that is true, this is some very basic stuff, in my opinion.

Oh wow exciting some of y’all are being charged already o.o
Can’t wait!

Haven’t used NixOs yet but was thinking of giving it a go, how likely do you think it will support the extremely new hardware? From what I’ve seen in cursory look they have roundabout everything on the absolute edge of technology but since you’ve used it thought I’d give a try asking based on your experience haha

I actually haven’t used it before. This will be my first time, however I’ve been reading the documentation and checking out various sources to see if there is any major hurdle. I did come across this reddit thread on using nixos on amd framework.

It’s a pretty different paradigm from most distros so I would definitely recommend reading the docs and watching yt videos on it. At least that’s whats helped me. :slight_smile:

Hope that helps.