AMD Batch 3 Guild

Has anyone gotten any updated guidance on ship dates? I’m still sitting at late Q3…

1 Like

I am reminded of a kids song.

“She’ll be coming round the mountain when she comes.”

It’s hard to be patient I know.

I ordered a batch 1 11th Gen on the first day, and it was not delivered until the beginning of August.
Approximately 84 days.
Still using it, no major issues, minor software and configuration on Linux, user fixable after research.

4 Likes

I am assuming everyone got a similar email with the subject:“Third update on Framework Laptop 13 (Ryzen 7040 Series) shipment timing”.
It seems there are issues with ‘Back left and Back right’ ports on the mainboard that are needing to be resolved.

I didn’t and I’m batch 2, when did it come?

6.9.2023, basically the same as the mail before:
" Third update on Framework Laptop 13 (Ryzen 7040 Series) shipment timing
We’re getting closer to ramping up mass production of Framework Laptop 13 (Ryzen 7040 Series), and we want to keep you up to date on the progress. In the first email we sent, we shared that we needed to extend the development schedule and delay the first shipment timing to resolve late issues we found, and in the second email we stated that progress was good. We’re relieved to state that development and validation continue to go smoothly. We’ve gotten additional engineering support and issue resolution from AMD and Infineon, and the latest internal firmware release candidates are stable. There are still a handful of USB-PD items and difficult-to-reproduce issues we’re working through, but we feel confident in holding the mid-September production start date we shared earlier. In addition to our Supply Chain team members who are there regularly, we’ll have several members of the Framework engineering team on-site at the factory over the next couple of weeks to ensure things go smoothly.

Expansion Card behavior

As a reminder, we’ve found that the USB4 retimers from Kandou that we use on the back two Expansion Card slots are unable to enter low states automatically with USB-A, HDMI or DP Expansion Cards. We’re continuing to work through potential USB-PD firmware solutions to address HDMI and DP Expansion Cards, though these may come in a post-launch firmware update. The compatibility table remains the same as our last update for now:

Installing Windows on DIY Edition

To resolve the missing network drivers for RZ616 in the Windows 11 installer, we’ve written a guide that uses Rufus to bypass the network requirement. We’ll be publishing this shortly before we start shipping.

Installing Linux

Linux usability and stability continues to improve. We expect that Fedora 38 will largely work out of the box, while Ubuntu LTS will require manually updating to a more recent kernel for now."

1 Like

Oh, I got something mixed up and thought there was a newer one :sweat_smile: thanks!

Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS is now available. I wonder if that has a new enough kernel that it will be good to go without a further update.

I think there is an update on the link below about the back two ports, looks like the issues with HDMI and micro SD have been sorted.

2 Likes

The included kernel in 22.04.3 is 6.2, and 6.3 added some AMD CPU branching stuff, but I couldn’t find whether that will be relevant for the 7040 series. Might be, might not be.
Pure speculation: if it is relevant, an upgrade to kernel v6.3 could see a significant performance boost

Kernel 6.2 was released in Feb 2023, Ryzen 7040 desktop models start selling in Aug 2022, laptop models available to OEMs in late Apr 2023 or so (sources are unclear). Initial CPU support usually goes into the kernel before the physical CPUs hit the market, but still, I expect this’ll be hit and miss.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: if you want or (as in this case) need new stuff, LTS releases are not your friend. They are simply not made with you in mind. Their target audience is people with boxes in inaccessible closets or distant datacenters, or IT departments managing unattended updates on hundreds of machines. They love their LTS, but they are not you (even when you are one of them buying yourself a Framework).

Why Framework chooses to only have an LTS as a first-class choice is probably a mix of being IT-department-friendly and not having the staff to follow any Linux distro that’s actually consumer-targeted (except apparently Fedora?..). Which is a fine tradeoff for me, for example, — I know I’m not buying the best experience available for the money in the short term, in exchange for it being better in other respects — but it still shouldn’t create the impression that an LTS is the best idea for the home user.

(This post brought to you by two days spent remotely debugging an LTS-using friend’s obscure LaTeX internationalization issue caused by a bug that was fixed in early 2019.)

@Philip_Bell, Thank you for denoting the update. I am a little behind on emails (on this topic), but I am trying to catch up this week.

1 Like

To those unaware of the blog:
"## Production update on Framework Laptop 13 (AMD Ryzen 7040 Series)

We continue to be on track to start shipments before the end of the month on the new Framework Laptop 13 (AMD Ryzen 7040 Series). Last week we shared that SMT (Mainboard production) had started, and this week we’ve begun final assembly of laptops. We also pulled some early units to send out to press reviewers to make sure that you can see exactly where we’ve landed on performance and battery life. We have another happy bit of news to share with you: our Lead System Architect Kieran was able to implement a firmware solution to reduce power consumption when using HDMI and DP Expansion Cards on the back two slots. The only remaining power issue is with USB-A Expansion Cards on the back slots, which we are investigating a future USB-A Expansion Card hardware revision to resolve."

1 Like

As today is the 28 of September as there are only a few more business days before the end of Quarter 3 (using a normal yearly calendar Jan 1 to Dec 31), I am still hopeful there would be an update to the order status.

Mine still states ‘Free Shipping Batch 3 - Ships Late Q3’

It would be nice, as I am still hopeful, to get a notification on or before the 30th of September regarding the order status, etc.

1 Like

I’m batch 2 and haven’t received anything regarding my order yet. As the current batch ships in about 1-3 weeks, I’m thinking I will get mine in about 2-5 weeks. I’m hoping for the 2 (:

So it’s quite unlikely that you’ll get an email in the next 2 days.

Patience :slight_smile:

it is the reason I said hope.

I tend use Framework laptops for my own software development testing because I have a homelab environment. The AMD mainboard will allow me to do more as this new laptop will be for my non-work stuff.

There is a lot of new hardware happening this year. 45drives in Nova Scotia, Canada is creating a homelab server. There is a company looking to create a new WiFi Access Point to compete with UNIFI. And Framework launching AMD CPUs and a 16" laptop.

I still hope to get it sooner than later.

I don’t want to start a whole off topic discussion, but I’m definitely interested in the name of that company. I’d love an alternative with good, available hardware and decent local controller software.

Hey all, looks like one of the first reviews of the amd 13 is out. https://youtu.be/k6aDBetYP5c?si=cmAUSfy1H40k9rKM

1 Like

A Mail I got 2 days ago:
|# Update on Framework Laptop 13 (Ryzen 7040 Series) - Fourth update
You may have seen press reviews start to go live for Framework Laptop 13 (Ryzen 7040 Series), so we wanted to give you the latest information on your pre-order. We’re starting Batch 1 shipments shortly. We have material ready at the factory to begin production of Batch 2 and 3 Mainboards for use in both laptop production and Mainboard pre-orders. We expect to start the SMT (board assembly) process next week. For final assembly into laptops and pack out, we currently plan to align that to factory-readiness of our next BIOS version, 3.0.3, with shipments starting later in October. This includes a fix from AMD to resolve a regression in Linux support that was introduced in 3.0.2.

Windows 11

Windows 11 has the most mature support on Ryzen 7040 Series currently. The only major call out is that you’ll need to create your Windows 11 installer using Rufus to bypass the network check during installation, since the Windows 11 retail image doesn’t include drivers for AMD RZ616 WiFi cards. After installing Windows, you’ll then install the Driver Bundle to get your WiFi driver.

Linux

With BIOS 3.0.3 that we plan to ship on Batch 2 and 3 systems, we expect broader support in Linux across different kernel versions. In the meantime on 3.0.2, certain kernel versions have amdgpu drivers that result in the system hanging. For now, we’ve published Linux setup guides with 3.0.2 in mind:

1. Fedora 39 Beta - This works “out of the box”, and is the distro we would most recommend at the moment.
  2. Ubuntu 22.04.3 - Follow this guide, make absolutely sure you follow the instructions at step 9 for AMD Ryzen 7040 Series.

Note that 7040 Series is still a very new platform and AMD’s open source teams will continue to actively develop and improve Linux kernel driver support beyond the specific firmware fix in 3.0.3. We’ll keep updating our guides to point you to recommended configurations, and we’ve created a Community wiki post with an overview of the latest status.

Upgrading your existing Intel-based Framework Laptop

If you’re a current Framework Laptop owner upgrading your Intel-based laptop to the Ryzen 7040 Series, you can follow the Upgrade Guide. The one major call-out is that if you’re running Windows 11, make sure you install the Driver Bundle first while you’re still on your old Intel Mainboard, and then again after swapping to your new AMD Mainboard. This is to get the RZ616 WiFi driver in place to give you network access to get back into Windows. You should also remember to suspend Bitlocker or disk encryption, since the hardware change will trigger Windows to request your recovery code otherwise.

Using your Ryzen 7040 Series Mainboard standalone or in a Cooler Master Mainboard Case

If you’re picking up a Ryzen 7040 Series Mainboard to use outside of a Framework Laptop, note that performance will currently be limited without the battery present. We’re working with AMD and our manufacturing partner Compal to tune and improve this. In the meantime, we recommend using a 100W USB-C power adapter to mitigate some of the performance reduction.

Getting Started guides

We’ll send out another email with getting started information for your specific configuration, but you can find all of the Quick Start guides here:

1. Pre-built Framework Laptop 13
  2. Framework Laptop 13 DIY Edition
  1. Upgrading your existing Intel-based Framework Laptop

Fellow batch 3’er, DIY Ryzen 7 on order in the UK! Can’t wait to move back to wonderful Linux-land after using Mac for the past few months :partying_face:

2 Likes

Wazzup GIF - Wazzup GIFs|683x447.1044176706827
batch 3 friends
waiting on when Framework sends
and our waiting ends

4 Likes